The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default economy: rated vs. schooling?

If the economy is impacting your show budget, what will you do?

- continue showing at the A/AA level

- continue showing at the A/AA level for a few selected shows and do B/C otherwise

- continue showing at the B/C level

- do a few B/C shows, but add in a few nice unrated shows

- do only unrated shows

- no showing at all

I just wonder - if a person isn't chasing points with a realistic goal of year end awards, why stress about the money?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I have only ever done local shows and schooling shows and that is what I am going to do this year too.

I'll do some schooling and some B/C this year. We're working on my confidence for this season so why spend the extra money on the A shows just for me to screw up But in all seriousness I have seen more and more of the people who used to go to Florida for the winter at some of the shows around here. I know a lot of them stayed home because of the economy. We're lucky that we have some VERY nice schooling shows in the area and B/C shows.

We typically do a couple A shows; 4-5 B shows; and 6-10 state recognized/local shows. This year, I will most likely cut out the A shows and only do a few of the B shows. Money is okay, but I work for an automotive supplier, so I need to be diligent in the event something happens.

The local shows down here are pretty expensive. Granted, they are well run and some are even held at the WEF venue, but still. Everything is pricey in this area. I may be able to budget for a couple of them this year, if I plan ahead. Still, this economy has me nervous about spending on shows at all. I am happy with the amount of good experience and progress I'm making in my lessons and feel lucky enough as it is....
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

I did an unrecognized schooling circuit through the winter (4 shows total) and I think I'm doing one A rated show in April. I event, as well, so I'm trying to split my budget! I'm going to stick to local shows for the in-between-event sharpening up this season, instead of doing AAs and As like I did last season.
    “I always knew I had the ability, I just had to find the horse to get me there.” - Calvin Borel, on riding Street Sense to victory in the 2007 Kentucky Derby

I am doing mostly schooling shows, and a few C-rated. I am not ready for the A rated yet.

Quite often, at least where I am, most of the B shows are about the same as the A shows but the difference is you might be able to win back more prize money at the A's - that is if you are lucky enough to be able to enter classes offering prize money

Our barn is pretty much sticking to whatever shows happen to be closer to home as that cuts down on travel costs. Fortunately there are several shows close enough where we can trailer in for the day..

We'll also be doing some schooling shows. There are some young, not ready for primetime riders and it makes no sense for them to spend several hundred $$ on rated shows to do unrated classes/divisions - they just wouldn't be competitve enough. While some folks poo-poo the schooling shows -it's been my experience that some schooling show circuits are quite fun and competitve w/ year end awards, banquets, pretty ribbons and trophies...

I have really been wanting to get back to showing A shows but this morning I was looking at a prize list and probably not going to happen anytime soon. It would cost me $315 in fees and another $245 in entries. So $560 and I haven't even paid for hauling ($200) or shavings ($80) and training ($$?). So figure, doing it "on the cheap" would still probably cost me $1000 per weekend? I just can't justify it no matter how bad I want to go play.

I will find some cheap local stuff to do and probably do some combined training if I want to show recognized. It will cost me about half of that to go play there And cross country is fun.

I'm doing our local C series but one is an A rated show and thats all for the summer. Its just to expensive right now.
    But its no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then

-alice in wonderland

Looking at about 3 maybe 4 A shows on the cheap (sharing hotel room, going sans trainer, trucking myself and doing just a few jumper classes at each), 1 B and maybe a couple unrateds. Would love to do more, but saving money is the priority for sure.

Keeping pretty close to home, but might splurge for a week at VT if the mare is doing really well.

And if the money is too tight for that schedule, I'm telling myself I'm not above sleeping in my truck...

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

My five year old has just started cantering courses, and since I took a vow to not spend a single A horse show dollar jumping 2'6", I won't be attending any As this year.

I am fortunate that there are several local shows I can take him to and I have some As close enough that I can haul in and have him hang out on schooling day. I think he's the type to take all the horse show activity in stride after a few times, so my schedule this year should be fine for him.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Money's tight, but I need the mileage as well. Sticking with the schooling shows through out the spring and hoping to do some C/B rated in the fall. Wishful thinking I think...

i try to cut out B and C shows entirely, because i realize that whenever i end up going to one, i don't usually 'care' about it that much. there aren't any B or C shows around here that i really really enjoy. i do LOCAL (as in, literally ones that are down the road that i really enjoy) schooling shows in the late winter/early spring and then save the $$ for the big A's and AA's in the spring and summer. i don't usually show in the fall or early winter. it also helps that i am a working student at the barn, so i get a good amount of $$ (what i earn each month) deducted off my bill: really helps when its horse show time. plus, i can win back some $$ at the A/AA's with the classics.

it sounds strange, but cutting out all the C and B shows is helpful. i get "more" for my money at an A show or a schooling show, i feel. i enjoy very local unrated shows and very big shows. the in-betweens never did much for me, so why should i go? If it's not an A show, then it's me practicing for the A's. if i'm just going to be practicing (though i take EVERY show seriously and treat it like an A minus the braids) im not going to spend the money on a decent C show when i can go to a very close by and much more affordable local show.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by Aliascml View Post
    I have only ever done local shows and schooling shows and that is what I am going to do this year too.
    Yeah thats pretty much me. Sometimes I am motivated to do like one lower A show during the year, but my guess is I won't do that.
    The local circuits still seem pretty $$ even, they run about $20/class at the least

Local schoolings, C's, and B's. Local A's if they are day trips. Entries are pretty much the same for all of them, so it's about closeness and convenience. Stalls are way too expensive now

Well because my mare is green, I'll be doing schooling and C-rated shows to start the year off. She's young and I really just want to get some miles on her this year. Why waste money when the economy is so bad??
    Theater Majors only: Lead swap, lead swap, wherefore art thou, lead swap?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CraziiPonii

I will do a few select A/AA shows that I really enjoy, that I feel are reasonably priced and that are somewhat close to home. I will do some B's and there are very few C's around where I show. Will do local shows only as a warm-up or with a young horse.

I don't like doing the locals with my good horses as I can't guarantee that the footing will be decent, the stabling decent, the judging decent.

Last year I only showed B and C and this year, I'm going to do some A and/or AA! Since I, personally, pay for everything, I made less last year than I make this year(working teen!), so I can hopefully afford to do the bigger shows since I got my $5/hr raise! haha

I mean, I still won't be showing as much as most people(with full time jobs), but it'll will be more than before. In fact, I'm doing a schooling this weekend for someone who asked me to show their horses, then a C and a B the 2nd week in April, and another B the last week of April, but then probably nothing until July. I'm hoping I'll be able to go to Pebble this summer too if I can save up enough and still have a suitable horse....

Don't know if any of you are in Maryland but if you are - the Maryland Horse Trials facility is hosting a few unrated/schooling hunter jumper shows this year - the place is amazing. Wonderful footing & huge rings - one ring is like 500'x260'; Plenty of parking. I'm not sure of the dates but you can go here for the website www.themarylandhorsetrials.com; the place is near Frederick, MD just over the Montgomery County line -right across the river from Leesburg/Lovettsville, VA...