The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Places to go XC schooling (Area III)

Every summer I take my horse from FL (where we are very limited in XC schooling and terrain) up to SC, GA, or AL to do about 10 days worth of XC schooling (not consecutively of course! We just stay in that state for 10 days and pick maybe 4 farms to try. Over the 2 years I have been doing this here is the list I have acquired.

Pine Top
    Poplar
    Fort Rucker
    Big Bear
    Gibbes Farm
    Chatahoochee Hills
    Chime Bell Chase
    Flat Creek
    Hitchcock Woods (ok, doesn't Reallly count)
    I *want* to say Jumping Branch.. it was fairly new at the time but had some pretty hills if that's the place.

And of course Rocking Horse, Fl horse park, Canterbury, and Fannin Hill-

My question is, for this year, where should I go? What are some places you just HAVE to go school at because they are so neat. I go with a group of girls from the barn, so there has to be some BN level stuff, but I prefer the Training level.

I've *heard* good things about these farms, but are they worth an extra haul to go to?--
    Carolina horse park
    FENCE
    The Fork

Options this year are to either continue going back to GA, AL, or Aiken SC, or my trainer said she would be willing to go a little further north and do North Carolina or a more northern SC trip.

opinions/suggestions are loved! Thanks!

Definitely check the farms to make sure they're open! (which I'm sure you already know...), but... I vote for Pine Top for sure They're awesome. Jumping Branch is also great, as is Full Gallop. Jumping Branch is a great move up course, so you could play on the prelim stuff easily too. Full Gallop is pretty standard. Also, there is Paradise Farm too which is fantastic!! In Aiken, you've got Jumping Branch, Full Gallop, Paradise, and Sporting Days all within a 5 minute haul of each other. So it would certainly be a convenient spot FENCE is pretty neat too, but I've never schooled there...just competed.

Have fun! That sounds like a blast!!!!

I know it's not on your list but it might be on your way from AL to NC-- every Saturday in August Middle TN Pony Club opens up the infield at Percy Warner Park for XC schooling. There are nicely built fences from BN-P. You can also school on other days as long as you pay the fee, but the water jump will not be filled.

Carolina Horse Park has specific schooling days, open to Friends of the Park. Wonderful facility, and then the hacking in the Foundation is fun!

Not sure what schooling access is currently to The Fork, but it is a lovely facility, with two water complexes. They are out of the sand belt, so if it has been quite dry or quite wet footing may not be as good as some places - they do enourmous amounts of aeration and irrigation before events, but not sure what they do in between times.

Fence also has specific schooling days, probably listed on their website. Think they often have an August schooling day.

For newish places in Aiken, I bet you're thinking of Full Gallop?

Thanks guys! Like you said, I will definitely be looking further into it to see which ones are open etc, but I wanted to compile a list of possibilities before doing that.

And Aha! You are correct, it is Full Gallop not jumping branch I was thinking of. Thanks!

I've never done Jumping Branch, Sporting Days, or Paradise either, so I will look into those for sure. What I try to do is try different farms I've never ridden before. That way it's even more excited, but I am DEFINITELY not opposed to riding certain farms again.. and again.. and again, haha.

Anymore you would really want to make it to that I haven't been to?

Paradise
    You can see her website at www.paradisefarmaiken.com and her course is lovely!!!

Lots of hills too

Default favorite places to go x/c school

Longwood right in Ocala has about everything to school!

I like Poplar Place, Chattahoochee Hills, Flat Creek, Ashland Farm in Georgia.
    I find many jumps at Big Bear to be in need of repair for me to feel safe.

In Aiken I live Paradise Farm, really liked Jumping Branch with the hills, and Sporting Days. Then there is also Full Gallop. The food in Aiken is awesome and the motels aren't very expensive. Lots of nice farms to put your horse up at as well. Plus trail riding gallore and many great people to take lessons from.

Default The Gibbs

By far the best playground out there!!
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Quote Originally Posted by nextyear View Post
    I have never heard of this?! Is it new? What levels? How many jumps?

Sorry, just really excited to find more places in FL that have XC.. I'm so sheltered, I only really know of the big places like FL Horse park, or Rocking Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    By far the best playground out there!!
    Agreed! Out of the 10-12 XC places I have schooled they are at the very top of my list. What a stunning place! I had SO much fun there. (then again, I have fun at almost any XC place..) They don't do shows do they?

I'd just go to one farm and ride there several days doing xc--- the Gibbes!

Quote Originally Posted by nextyear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RnR View Post
    I have never heard of this?! Is it new? What levels? How many jumps?

Sorry, just really excited to find more places in FL that have XC.. I'm so sheltered, I only really know of the big places like FL Horse park, or Rocking Horse.
    It's a private farm and unfortunately not just anyone can go school there (at least that's the way it has been in the past). It is gorgeous though and has pretty much every level jump available.

Wow, That would really be amazing. I tried "googling" it but they only thing that came up was its sale ad

I am in Pony Club so sometimes farms let us school or give us a special discount. I would be interested in at least contacting them to see if it is off limits. Do you know how to contact them? You can PM it if you would like. Thanks for the suggestion though!