The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Gardening 101

I THINK this is farm stuff related...I am starting a small garden and got some things I believe that I can grow without a lot of hassle. I have purple string beans that when you cook them they will turn green, carrots for the equines, dogs and I, radishes, small gourds for decoration, melons, and pumpkins. Then in starter trays I have the larger beef eater type tomatoes and the small cherry tomatoes that I checked tonight and you can see the sprouts! I am so excited, I have not gardened in a long time, just have not had the land or time or need to till now.

Anyone else start a garden this year? If so what did you plant? Any tips or pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by Belplosh View Post
    I THINK this is farm stuff related...I am starting a small garden and got some things I believe that I can grow without a lot of hassle. I have purple string beans that when you cook them they will turn green, carrots for the equines, dogs and I, radishes, small gourds for decoration, melons, and pumpkins. Then in starter trays I have the larger beef eater type tomatoes and the small cherry tomatoes that I checked tonight and you can see the sprouts! I am so excited, I have not gardened in a long time, just have not had the land or time or need to till now.

Anyone else start a garden this year? If so what did you plant? Any tips or pointers?
    yeap-- get some horse manure off dump the old type thats the blackest goes like peat excellent for any plant as for toms get some old dung as in plan horses pooh thats a few days old and dry and hard then get an onion bag and put pooh in that place over a bucket and pour in cold water leave for one week, goes like thick black slimey water pull out onion bag-- as it has holes in , then you have a bucketfull of liquid feed for your toms last ages and toms grew massive

Thanks GLS...believe me, I have tons of the black, fermented, good mulch now in our pile that has been sitting out all winter and early spring. Didn't know about the horse apples in an onion bag, but will certainly do that. Have you ever put the tomatoes on the deck in a planting container so they are close to the house or do you plant them out in the garden with everything else?

We are going to put a highish fence around the garden and a net over it to keep out the deer and other pests that may want to feast on my hard work.

nah i used to do it in back garden of old house not this one never have the time
    but me dump goes to gardners all the time and farmers the black muclhy stuff is great for roses to apples pears and any other tree type, always put plenty down for winter months
    as old dung keeps moisture when they need food as in water they can drew it off the dung
    same as in summer months when water short in supply do same when dung gets wet it soaks up water and holds it, so plants can feed when they need it

down 3 sides of my field i ahve new bushes and shrubs planted by motorway took three years to get them up and bushey as i chuck my dung over the fence line if its near it
    the other side of motorway has little stumpy bushes haha
    mine are thick and full and now my yard is private on three sides
    lovely

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Before I had the farm I grew tomatoes in windowboxes - not just the cherry ones but sizeable heirlooms like Green Zebra.
    Also grew lettuce and herbs.

This year I am trying sweet potatoes, strawberries & blueberries for the first time along with 3 kinds of tomatoes (2 eating, 1 sauce), yellow zucchini, a hybrid melon, carrots, pumpkins, 3 kinds of basil and sweet corn ( a new red supersweet variety).

Everything except the corn, pumpkins and blueberries is going into a strawbale garden helped along by my own composted manure.
    Search this forum or Off Course for strawbale gardening - there was a discussion that got me started on the idea.

Last year I grew kale & collard greens along with 4 kinds of tomatoes - I still have some of last year's tomatoes in the freezer.
    I grew watermelons - icebox-sized Sugar Babies - in my "barn garden".
    It's just the composted manure I tossed over the fenceline by the side of the barn all Winter. Never gets watered, never gets fertilized, and grows things like nobody's business.
    Ask me about the year I planted 15 zucchini plants there.....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I grow almost all my food - and can or freeze it.

Time to plant your peas! You plant them on St. Patrick's Day.

I'm not too far from you and recommend Frosty Peas - it freezes very well.

Jswan...where are you? I have yet to get my little patch of dirt turned over so I can get things mixed in and things growing. We don't have a rotor tiller so I am going to have to borrow one from a friend of mine down the road.

All great ideas...I am SO excited!

I heard a piece on PBS this am that said there is a shortage of seeds, because so many people are growing their own.

Well those same people must be buying chicks because my order is going to be late.

Argh.

Belplosh - I live in the southern part of the county. Southern States has loads of seeds and so does the Co-op. Even asparagus roots!!! I think they were 3$ a bundle.

Onion sets and potatoes are in too. For you - you need Kennebec, Cobbler, or Yukon Gold. Safe bet is Kennebec for your soils.

Never had luck with onions so can't help you there. I'm actually a horrible gardener.

Hmm someone just told me that I shouldn't of started my tomatoes, that I should of waited till May when we have our last frost!! Anyone know that?

Potatoes eh? Hmmm...and asparagus!! I LOVE that stuff...

Russian garlic - unless you shop carefully nearly all our garlic comes from China. Seems an unnecessary journey for a little head of garlic. Sell the rest - it fetches a huge price.

We don't usually plant our tomatoes until May, and we're not far from you. Perhaps you can keep the seedlings inside under grow lamps?

Am I good to plant lettuces this evening?

How about putting in some herbs, too? Basil with the tomatoes, obviously, and maybe some chives and oregano. Garlic chives are particularly nice - perennial, and hardy. I know someone who loves Italian food and goes nuts with the basil every year, buys about 30 plants and plants them in a big clump, with a few oregano by the edges - the whole garden smells like spaghetti

I could not find the post on strawbale gardening...can someone help find the link?
    thanks!

If you're growing tomatoes from seed (inside!) then you do indeed need to have them started by now. You don't want to put them outside, however, until ANY chance of a frost has passed.

Keep in mind that with tomatoes, they stop growing if they become rootbound. So, once the seedlings are big enough (at least 2 sets of true leaves), then unless they are in a big enough container already, you need to pot them into a bigger pot. If you ended up starting them too early, or have some late cold weather, you will need to pot them up one more time. A week or so in a too-small pot isn't bad, but the longer they stay there, the more they have slowed, and will take a bit longer to get going again once in the ground.

When you plant them, plant them DEEP. They wil grow roots along whatever part of them is in contact with soil. So, plant really deep, up to the first good branch. Keep piling up the soil as the plant grows, until you have the soil at ground level or above (mounded). That will give them LOTS of extra roots, not just the ones they came out of the pot with.

Default garden

I saw this infomercial on tv today that showed this planter that you plant your tomato plants in and they grow upside down, you can hang them up and you dont have to weed, or stake them and they dont break off etc, plus they said they grow faster & mature quicker. It was very interesting, I wonder if it really works as good as they say it does?

RC

oh if I could only figure out how to post a photo here, I'd put a photo I have of my mater seedling growing in the frost last year

I winter sow, most of my seeds have been sown and have been outside since mid february. I turned over all my gardens too (not doing garlic this year so that bed is open), I plant winter rye so I turn them over fairly early so it can decompose.

I was excited to see during the snowstorm and 8degree weather, my cole crop seedlings didn't freeze! The snow blanket did a good job of protecting them!

I'm addicted to heirloom tomatoes, last year I was terrible and waaaaay over planted. This year, I'm starting only 60 varieties and planing 40. Last year I did 120 I just sowed my maters 2 weeks ago, I should be seeing germination by the end of this week.

all of my plants, including basil and tomatoes and melons, go in the ground by mid april, and I get my first maters by July 4th. (I'm in NJ). I do herbs, 10 kinds of basil, toms, bush beans, squashes, melons, last year garlic (the best garlic ever!), cukes, asparagus, lettuces (leaf & head), carrots, trying beets this year, peas (snap and english), broccoli, brussels sprouts, last year did strawberries but pulled them out this year, runners everywhere! ... hmm, have to think what else... mainly maters

I learned how to can 2 years ago too. I tried freezing this past year and its not the same as canning don't get that summer fresh taste.

good luck and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belplosh View Post
    Any tips or pointers?
    oh pointers, keep organized and keep good notes, especially if you're starting from seed.

if you're going to use little plastic plant markers (the kind you write on) DON'T use a Sharpie to write with use a grease pencil, sharpie fades in sunlight... I had about 15 "mystery" toms last year

consider investing in a soaker hose for irrigation rather than having to hand water... it saves so much time

I'm stockpiling old uneaten hay for mulch this year

if your soil is iffy (too sandy, to clay-y) try greensand, it worked great for me

give your toms a huge amount of space, and support, think ahead for the toms... and don't underestimate them or they will harbor pests and nasty leaf diseases and make you want to rip your hair out trying to save them ... and ounce of prevention is sooooo true with maters.

have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiancross View Post
    I could not find the post on strawbale gardening...can someone help find the link?
    thanks!
    Check out straw bale gardening using this link:

http://www.carolinacountry.com/cgard...ide/straw.html

I did one last year - and could not find the amonium nitrate they recommend for fertiziler - so I used a lot of organic fertilizer and it worked ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Corgi View Post
    I saw this infomercial on tv today that showed this planter that you plant your tomato plants in and they grow upside down, you can hang them up and you dont have to weed, or stake them and they dont break off etc, plus they said they grow faster & mature quicker. It was very interesting, I wonder if it really works as good as they say it does?

RC
    I've been looking into the upside down tomatos to see if I want to do it... I found this site where they show you how to make your own planters

http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/post...o-Planter#jump