The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yeah, I can't leave the hubby's car running with the dogs in it either. Thankfully, my Jeep is nifty in that I can actually lock or unlock the doors with the remote unlocker while the car is running. It is quite handy for running errands with the pups in the car, because I can leave the car on but locked.

I think I will start pulling the emergency brake before leaving them alone though.

Left my dog in the truck without the keys, but she knocked it out of gear in the sloping grocery store parking lot ... when I came out of the store there were these two country fellas pointing at a truck going by saying, "Hey, looky there, there's a dog drivin' that truck" (she always moved over to the driver's seat whenever I left her in the truck).

I just stood there for a minute and then went, "Oh, sh_t, that's my dog driving my truck".

Anyway, several guys went and got ahold of the truck and stopped it and put the spare under a tire to keep the truck from rolling any further.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Left my dog in the truck without the keys, but she knocked it out of gear in the sloping grocery store parking lot ... when I came out of the store there were these two country fellas pointing at a truck going by saying, "Hey, looky there, there's a dog drivin' that truck" (she always moved over to the driver's seat whenever I left her in the truck).

I just stood there for a minute and then went, "Oh, sh_t, that's my dog driving my truck".

Anyway, several guys went and got ahold of the truck and stopped it and put the spare under a tire to keep the truck from rolling any further.

That reminds me of an old commerical...can't remember what it was for....
    The camera shows an older man fussing in the passenger's seat, the it pans over to a Hound Dog driving and they end up in a pond.

My dog did this to me once too, but at least my truck wasn't running. I was out at the barn at night riding in the rain (figuring I could just get off and jump in the truck real quick and drive home), and since there was no indoor and that barn closed the arena in the rain was hacking around the driveways and entry road. Well my dog kept hearing me go by and tried to look at the window and hits the door lock, for the first time ever in the 11 years I've had him! Well to top it all off its about 7pm, my hubby is at work until midnight and the spare key is across town at home. It took AAA 3 hours to get there and the driver kept getting lost so I had to give him turn by turn instructions, and the barn was off a major road that was an exit off the freeway. So I was freezing cold, soaking wet and my 3 legged dog had locked me out of my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
    thanks for the laugh. reminds me of our driving miss daisy story...years ago my FILs basset hound disengaged the emergency brake on his truck in a mountainside CO stripmall parking lot. the truck rolled right through the lot and into a storefront. fortunately no one was injured, including Daisy, but the truck and a few plate glass windows needed help.

the conversation with the insurance agent was a classic.

'who was operating the vehicle at the time of the accident?'

'Daisy'

'we don't have a Daisy listed on your auto policy'

'no, i don't suppose you would...'
    BWAHAHAHA
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Hide a Key behind the license plate. . .in one of those velcro thingys
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    When I worked at a veterinary clinic, we actually had a guy come in with a dog who had choked itself out by putting head out window and then hitting the window button.
    My husky has done that - he didn't get choked though, as I was able to override him from the driver's seat. But you should have seen his face as the window was going up! Freaked me out!!!

My dogs have also locked themselves in my truck necessitating a call to a locksmith. I now have spare keys everywhere, including hidden on the outside of the truck!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Who needs a dog?

DH - who was a locksmith! - did this twice:

Once we went to a movie, came out 2h later to find the car where we parked it...running with keys locked inside.

2nd time we stopped for a drink on a warm evening, came out to find car running, windows down...
    We figured noone stole it because it looked like a setup

In the first mentally hazy days of widowhood I went out to meet friends, discovered I didn't have my keys and broke a window to get back in.
    Then noticed the casement windows were open - coulda ripped a screen to get in. Cheaper to replace than broken glass.

Maybe I should get a dog......
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    Hide a Key behind the license plate. . .in one of those velcro thingys
    I just duct-tape one behind the plate. Of course it helps if you remember that you did that. Called AAA to unlock my car when I locked it with the keys in it. As they were pulling out of the driveway, I remembered the hidden key - DUH!

That happened to us once, except we were at a horse show and were there for about an hour after it ended. The car wasnt running but the keys were in the back on a key chain and we stuck a crop through the opened window(in a van so it pushes out) and finally got them out.