The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Had to call the Sheriff on my own dog today

OMG..this was one of those "What was I thinking" moments.

My three always go to the barn with me....we always go for a 2 hour walk before I ride...and they invite their little terrier friend to go along with them.

So, I pull into the barn (it's raining), so I have the windows up (I'm sure some of you can see where this is going)...left the car running, while I went in to get their terrier buddy.

As I get ready to open the car door...I hear "CLICK"......I think...NO, surely not. There's my golden mix wagging her tail, standing on the door.

I go to open it and sure enough, she has locked herself in with my other two dogs with the car running.

Now, all those wonderful commands that she's so darn good at...like TOUCH and FOOT, suddenly went out of her repertorie...I stand there, point at the lock and say touch, I try "FOOT"...she just looks at me like..."I really havent' a clue to what you are saying."

So long story short, I had to call the sheriff's department to come rescue my dogs.

Bless their wonderful hearts, a deputy sherriff was there within 10 minutes, took a slim jim, and popped the lock open.

Note to self...NEVER leave car running or keys in car while dogs are inside. Now, I just hope she doesn't lock me out of the house tonight. Little varmit.

Look on the bright side...they didn't take that opportunity to go for a drive while you ran along side the car yelling, "Stay! Bad Dog!"

There was a newspaper article a short while ago about a beagle running a senior man over with a golf cart in a retirement community near here. The owner used the cart to get around more easily and left it unattended with her beagle in it...the beagle somehow got it going and started running folks down! (nobody was seriosuly injured)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Yep! I did that once! So I left my dog in the running truck (at least the a/c was on) and went to sit out where the AAA guy could see where I was. About 10 minutes later I hear a jingle and my dog comes running by, just by dumb luck he'd stepped on the window button and freed himself!

I ALWAYS have 2 keys when driving with dogs in the car. One for the car and one for me!

My ACD did that several winters ago. The truck wasn't running, but I stopped at the barn for just a minute, leaving the keys in the ignition, and he bounced from side to side and managed to depress both door locks. It was about 15 degrees outside (so I didn't wait outside with him) and since it was Sunday, it took the emergency locksmith over three hours to get there.

By that time, Blue had eaten most of both of the front seats, the entire steering wheel, and the stick shift. I would have had less damage if I had just picked up a stone and busted out the window...

The SO was not a happy camper, but he was out of town with the other set of keys, so he couldn't say too much about it!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I ALWAYS have 2 keys when driving with dogs in the car. One for the car and one for me!
    We had two keys to the Jeep until Husband lost his.......a replacement is 125.00.

I think I'll be putting those keys in my pocket from here on out.

Misty....you are so right..LOL! This is my hard headed dog...I can just see her driving away now, ignoring me screaming...STAY! With my two poor innocent dals in the back crying...MOM!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have Onstar, they can unlock your car for you by whatever magic they use! If not, keep your keys in your hand-I too learned that lesson the hard way! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    If you have Onstar, they can unlock your car for you by whatever magic they use! If not, keep your keys in your hand-I too learned that lesson the hard way! LOL!
    Snort....I know, my friend was asking me...a, does husband have a spare key? and b...do you have On Star. I had neither.

Thank goodness for our Sheriff Department.

CMB...OMG, youre story made me laugh.

I did tell everyone today..."When this dog crosses the bridge and I'm really sad and upset....would someone say..Do you remember that day when you had to call the Sheriff."

I worry about similar...but even more so, power windows!!!

When I worked at a veterinary clinic, we actually had a guy come in with a dog who had choked itself out by putting head out window and then hitting the window button.

Hey! Ya know what? Maybe THAT is why my new car has power window buttons that have to be pulled UP to make the window go up?!?!?!?

And here I thought that maybe Kia was just out to do absolutely EVERYTHING the opposite of GM. Hmmm....
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I keep the CHILD LOCK on my windows at all times. Mine have been known to lay on the window switch while sleeping.

I locked my 3 year old in the car with it running. She was secured in her car seat so couldn't unlock the door. She thought that it was a riot. I have never seen AAA arrive so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    I locked my 3 year old in the car with it running. She was secured in her car seat so couldn't unlock the door. She thought that it was a riot. I have never seen AAA arrive so fast.
    My mom did this with my step son a few years ago... Your not the only one!

My miniature Dachshund did it at a horse show with the engine running and the horses in the trailer. I had to ask a stranger to go up to the window because I knew Metro would bark and charge, and in doing so hit the lock. Worked like a charm, but after that I got a key stowaway box.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

arh we live and learn lucky you they didnt drive with it------ haha

I did this the other day, or should I say, my lovely lab did this little trick of locking himself in a running car. Bad news is my car is on the fritz and will overheat if left in park for too long. The image of my car on fire with my dog inside was not pretty. Thankfully, my dad, bless his heart, has always taped a spare key to my windshield washer (with black electrical tape, the valet key). I was in my car in no time. Do you not just love smart fathers who know their daughters will end up in a situation like that?

My dog managed to lock my truck while I was at the vet with my horse. Luckily my passenger door lock sticks and has to manually be pushed up and down so when she locked it from the drivers side I was still able to get in. I had to make sure that no horses were around in the parking lot, though, cause I knew the alarm would go off. Now I always either bring my keys or clicker with me when the dogs are in the car.

A friend of mine left her dogs in her car while it was running once, and apparently her great dane got bored and wanted to go for a drive. She actually managed to get the car into reverse, and apparently hit the pedal because she jumped a curb in the parking lot and hit another car. We still joke about that and she now sets the e-brake when the dogs are left in the car while it's running. (on a side note, her ticket was for 'parking an unattended vehicle' which I still think is a little ironic. I park my vehicles every time they are left unattended, I would hate to think what would happen if I left it in drive)
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I've had something similar happen. Luckily my truck is a 1996 model F250 and still has old fashioned vent windows. The driver's side vent window was unlocked, so I could just push it and unlock the doors from the outside. Since my dogs are car riding idiots, I learned my lesson and now NEVER lock the vent window.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

My extra key is always in my pocket, no matter what I am doing.

Once at a cutting with a friend, her dog locked us out of her pickup and she called a locksmith and when he got there, he pointed out that the sliding rear window was open.
    Not only unlocked, but open.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Thanks to all of you for a good laugh tonight. I know it's not funny when it is happening, but it is funny after the fact.

My only similar epsisode was my two beagles at Burger King. I stopped to pick up dinner, shut off the car, locked the doors and started walking into the restaurant, and I hear "Beep - Beep - Beep - BEEEEEEEEPPPPPP!" So I ran back to the car, and there is one beagle in the passenger seat, and the other standing on the steer wheel horn and would not get down, even with me standing there shouting, "bad dog, get down!". She did it one other time in my mother's driveway, and I never left them alone in the car again.

thanks for the laugh. reminds me of our driving miss daisy story...years ago my FILs basset hound disengaged the emergency brake on his truck in a mountainside CO stripmall parking lot. the truck rolled right through the lot and into a storefront. fortunately no one was injured, including Daisy, but the truck and a few plate glass windows needed help.

the conversation with the insurance agent was a classic.

'who was operating the vehicle at the time of the accident?'

'Daisy'

'we don't have a Daisy listed on your auto policy'

'no, i don't suppose you would...'
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am