The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OMG I GOT CHICKS - help, lol

Went to Southern States for wormer, came home with 4 chicks. What WAS I smoking...anyway, they gave the the run down on care, but fill me in on the rest! I've got a heat lamp, etc. and our farm (before we purchased) raised chickens so we have a bunch of coops collecting dust we can eventually put to use when they are no longer cute and tweety.

Dear lord these things are cute....

www.backyardchickens.com A very nice resource. Good luck with your peeps! Mine should be coming in April.
    Click here before you buy.

A good hint is to keep a thermometer in the brooder with the peeps. Every week, raise the heat lamp until the temp is 5 degrees cooler than it was. I usually start out at 90 or 95 degrees (as long as the chicks can get to a cooler spot in the brooder if they choose). By the time they're ready to be moved outdoors, they should be acclimated to the outdoor temp.

Also, feeding crumbles with a coccidia preventative is a good thing.

And when they're ready to move to the coop, go over every inch with a fine-tooth comb: rats, snakes and weasels can get through a hole less than an inch in size, and foxes, raccoons, dogs, etc. will dig under a a fence.

Good luck! I LOVE Peeps!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

We want pictures of the tweetys!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Thanks guys! Okay...so we'll get a thermometer to put in there. Any heat lamp safety tips? I'm soooo fire paranoid, having something that hot hanging over pine shavings gives me the heebiee jeebies!

I'll get some pictures No problem there!!

The heat lamps attract dust and cobwebs like crazy, so keep them clean. I also double secure them (i.e. I use both the metal clamp and something else like a double-ended snap or duct tape as a fail-safe). Using a surge protector might help as well.
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Thanks for that backyard site, what a great reference!!

Chicks are good, finally got pictures:
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii170/okgottago/

We've got 2 Araucana's (or probably Easter Egger's), a buff Orpington, and a Brahma. The plain brown one is the friendliest so far.

Aww! Pup is really cute too! What kind of Chicks do you have and what kind is the Pup, Aussy?

Karen
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

What were you thinking Okkgo? Probably, "Too cute to not take home!"
    I'm surprised there was a place that had them for sale. I know around here when the peeps show up at the feed stores...they're already spoken for. They go quick around here!
    BTW...one of your peeps looks like a pup.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

so cute!!!

Luv the picture with mastiff? pointer? and chick. That should be on a calendar

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Oh. My. Cuteness.

Thank you for that most excellent smile and start to my day. The chicks are cute (i've never actually seen colored chook chicks, only your typical yellow) but man, the dogs are the balls. Brindle guy's eyes make me want to just melt. And Aus pup is To Die For.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Thanks guys, it's been so much fun watching them together. The brindle is a 11 month old Mastiff, and the chicks use her as a jungle jim!! The pup is an Aussie and we just use them as torture to make her "leave it". She thinks they look like her chew toys!

Pinto- this one is for you http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=IMG_7291.jpg it cheers me up when I look at it

Awww...nice looking Mastiff! I've got a big soft spot for Mastiffs. Had two in the past...awesome sweet big galoots! My two used to get their butts kicked at least once a week by my neighbor's cat, LOL! I could always tell when Tom was in my yard...the two boys would be scrabbling at the sliding doors and whining like babies to come in. With Tom sauntering up behind them wearing an evil grin, LOL! You can fence dogs in, but not fence cats out.
    The Aussie is cute as heck too...never had one of those.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte