The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    Not necesserially... I have a few friends who have gone to some great schools (Cornell is one I know of off hand) who have gotten full scholarships. They are out there, you just have to know where to look.
    Cornell gives out need based aid only, not merit-aid. Your friend may have gotten a full ride becuase he/she demonstrated an inability to pay, but Cornell doesn't give out scholarship money on the basis of acheivements/scores/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by twobays View Post
    Cornell gives out need based aid only, not merit-aid. Your friend may have gotten a full ride becuase he/she demonstrated an inability to pay, but Cornell doesn't give out scholarship money on the basis of acheivements/scores/whatever.

Actually, her scholarship was because she was a "female going into a male's field" I'm getting a similar scholarship because I'm going into a major that is not offered in my state. Obviously if she wanted to major in something common this wouldn't help her, but since she is undecided, perhaps she is interested in something that may get her a scholarship like that.

I don't know about other Ivy league schools though.... I didn't apply to any. But from my own experience, there ARE scholarships out there at well-ranked, well known schools if she can get the right SAT score.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I've just read through some of the threads - my older daughter is a senior at Dartmouth and rode all the way through. For whoever said "Dad probably feels stressed at paying $25K tuition" - uh, it's $50K+. All financial aid is need-based in the Ivies, so no matter how academically strong she is, she won't get much in the way of aid unless they qualify for need-based aid. Tell her to find the college and then figure out the riding part of it. If it's simply not there, move on - but at or near most schools, she can figure something out.

Since you originally asked for names of colleges that have high academics and an opportunity to ride:

Skidmore
    Tufts
    Dartmouth
    UVA
    VTech
    Washington & Lee
    Cornell
    UNC - Chapel Hill
    Clemson
    William & Mary
    St. Lawrence
    Brown
    Duke
    Dickinson

Many of these compare academically to the Ivy Leagues (or are) but have better student life ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    Actually, her scholarship was because she was a "female going into a male's field" I'm getting a similar scholarship because I'm going into a major that is not offered in my state. Obviously if she wanted to major in something common this wouldn't help her, but since she is undecided, perhaps she is interested in something that may get her a scholarship like that.
    But the kid from the OP doesn't know what she wants to do. I understand that you can get money from specific scholarships for specific interests, but for someone looking to find their passion, not so much.

Default What does she like?

It's really hard to suggest a good college somewhere in the US that has an IHSA team simply because almost every college in the US can say that they fit that need.

What does this girl like to do? Does she enjoy math, science, reading? Has she mentioned wanting to be a doctor, teacher, accountant, reasearcher, etc? Most schools want you to have at least an idea of what you want to major in during freshman year. It would make sense to have her visit schools that excel in things she's interested in.

The state of Virginia has some amazing schools and I was very fortunate that Virginia meant in state tuition for me. I chose Virginia Tech and have never regretted that decision. They have many excellent programs but are probably best know for architecture, engineering and thier science/research departments. They have a large IHSA team (hunt seat and western) and an IDA team too. The barns are on campus.

If Dad wants prestige and VT doesn't cut it they should plan to visit William & Mary and UVA and possibly Washington & Lee. All have IHSA teams.

Another option with a list of all the collegiate teams is the annual issue published in the COTH - it comes out every year, so you may want to check it out.

Good luck!

My daughter graduated from University of Delaware. Newark is minutes from Fair Hill, Md. and Chester country, Pennsylvania. It is in a very horsey area with an intercollegiate program.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by TBKate View Post
    I'll throw in the pitch for my alma mater/current grad school, UF. Although it is a VERY large state school, it's very highly ranked and no matter what she ends up deciding she wants to do, she can do it at UF. Sounds like she could easily be in the honors program, and the honors dorm was absolutely a FABULOUS way to do the first year of school. Small college feel on a university campus.

On the horse front, I know of several owners/trainers within a 15 minute radius of campus who need horses ridden and would happily have her ride for free if she's capable. If she wants to be on the school team, it's an option, but having done it, I'd advise against it. There's better coaching and cameraderie to be had in a private barn setting.

I agree with those who have advised overnight visits to campus, and serious evalution of the schools on their own merits before considering the horse issue. All that said, UF has great weather, location, school spirit, and is surrounded by horse country.
    I'll second this!
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Default University of Rochester

1) Perfect for the student who is unsure of what to major in, but strongly interested in many things. There is no "set" cirriculum. You have to take classes in each of the 3 academic fields (social sciences, natural sciences, humanities), but it's up to you which ones you take. You major in one of the categories, and at minimum do a cluster (3 classes related to each other) in each of the other two. Only doing that will leave you with oooooodles of time to take random classes, which means you don't have to declare until the first semester junior year (although you better have been somewhat working towards it if you want to graduate on time, lol). There is no language requirement, no gym requirement, no math requirement, etc. MANY students admitted there are undeclared for at least the first year or more. There is one writing class requirement for freshmen, but there are 30 different sections of it, each with a different theme. Mine was a hybrid theater/psych course. Friends took classes on taboos, witchcraft, history, medicine, Harry Potter, Shakespear, etc. With all the freedom of study, many students double major, or major and double minor. There are a few each year who triple major...

2) It is a HIGHLY regarded institution in many of the areas of study, and there is the opportunity to work on research right from the get-go; that's HUGE if she intends to go to grad school/med school/ etc.

3) ALL classes are taught by professors. TAs do not teach lectures.

4) It's pretty small, still: the whole undergraduate class is still less than 5,000 (though they are on a "let's get a little bigger" kick, given that they only accepted 30% of applicants this year, if I have my numbers straight).

5) The riding team is still small enough that she would have no trouble going to at least a few shows, and if she is riding in the intermediate/open division, she would most likely be able to ride at every show. It's a growing team. Club sport, though for years they've been talking about attempting to go varsity.

6) If the riding team doesn't work out, Rochester is seriously horse country in the nearby suburbs. Freshmen typically can't bring cars, however exceptions have been known to be made if a really good case can be made to the parking people. I may or may not know some tricks, if she needs them

7) U of R does LOTS of merit-based scholarships. In fact, 10 or so students in each freshmen class are awarded full-tuition scholarships based on merit alone. They are Renaissance Scholars. I got about half my tuition paid in merit based grants and scholarships alone, and I wasn't exactly super unique or amazing compared to many of the kids I met there.

8) Take 5 program: 5th year of tuition-free study (assuming you graduated on time!) to study ANYTHING you want. Usually the programs proposed are interdisciplinary, and a lot of kids use this time to go abroad if they hadn't already.

9) Though a very demanding school, the student body is incredibly supportive. Kids don't try to sabotage each other. I never had a problem getting notes I missed, or asking a random kid in lecture who seemed to "get it" to meet me later at the campus Starbucks to help me get it.

10) It's gorgeous.

11) There are a bazillion other activities to get involved with if horses aren't her only interest.

12) Did I mention it's a great place to go to figure out what it is you want to do, and you aren't "wasting" credits by exploring, because the classes you take that you don't end up majoring in can usually easily be turned into a cluster!

Don't forget there are many excellent state schools out there which have "high academics" as well! I know many very successful, educated and intellectual types who have graduated from these types of universities as well. Remember, what you put into it, is what you get out of it no matter where you go.
    With this economy, perhaps financially more feasible also. Perhaps scholarships may be in her future as well. Some have NCAA and some compete in IHSA. Broad range of experiences also. Many places will have equestrian activities nearby. Do your homework.
    You are correct in that the NCAA is recruiting many kids that have the 3'6" experience.
    Sometimes they will recruit good flat riders though.

Good Luck with your searches.

KellyGates Guest

I would also suggest that you add Vanderbilt to that list - obviously very prestigious. I'm in my third year here - beautiful campus, wonderful city, and an equestrian team - it's a student-run org (not school sponsored), but it's supposed to be very good, as I understand it. I know we have some of the top riders in the country apply yearly.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/campusrecr...questrian.html

Quote Originally Posted by katie16 View Post
    I have a student who is VERY scholastic (a high honor student in all honors and AP classes), but really has no idea what she might want to do in life (understandably). She is equally strong in math/science as she is in liberal arts, so she really isn't sure which avenue to pursue. Despite her fantastic academic record, she is a kid that is extremely quiet and has less confidence in her overall abilities than she really should.

[snip]

Her criteria is: NOT an all womens school and MUST be able to ride! Doesn't care if it's city or rural, large or small. She thinks she would like the Mid-Atlantic or the Northeast area, or perhaps Florida.
    Is there a reason she doesn't want to attend a woman's college? Attending a single-sex institution might really boost her confidence--it did mine! I attended Randolph College when it was R-MWC. They have a lovely riding program and my campus job was mucking stalls. Had to get extra horse time somehow! Other good schools in the area are Hollins and Sweet Briar, although they're both "girls schools."

Quote Originally Posted by metzengerstein View Post
    Is there a reason she doesn't want to attend a woman's college? Attending a single-sex institution might really boost her confidence--it did mine! I attended Randolph College when it was R-MWC. They have a lovely riding program and my campus job was mucking stalls. Had to get extra horse time somehow! Other good schools in the area are Hollins and Sweet Briar, although they're both "girls schools."
    I agree - I think a womans college would be great for her, but she (at this point) is not interested. I had a niece who went to Smith and know another who went to Mt. Holyoke, both schools I would recommend to this kid if I thought she would consider them.

She may also want to consider Davidson College in NC. My brother goes there and has really enjoyed it--I almost went there but ended up at W&L. Davidson doesn't have a riding team (or at least they didn't 4-5 years ago) but I'm sure she could find someone willing to offer a free lease or something in the area.

If she is at all interested in professional school, Davidson and W&L are the way to go...both have AWESOME admission rates. This year, W&L got 3:3 students into U Penn for veterinary school...they have equally impressive rates for med and dental school as well...and other friends of mine ended up at some of the best law schools in the country.

The University of Richmond is lovely as well--beautiful campus! So is Vanderbilt, but I was too intimidated by how pretty all the other girls were to go there!

Feel free to PM me for my email address if you'd like me to talk to her about W&L or put her in touch with the riding coach.

I looked at schools all over the spectrum--large (UVA and UNC), medium (Duke and Vandy) and small (Williams, Amherst, W&L, Davidson, U of Richmond, Sewanee). There are SO many options though--she really needs to find a way to narrow it down! I'd start with a "college driving tour"--it was one of the nicest experiences I've had with my dad. We packed up and drove around, looking at tons of schools over my spring break junior year. It also helped me eliminate some that I was planning on applying to.