The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Could it be spring in WNY?!?

It is 53 today....

60 tomorrow...

A few brave souls hacked down the road yesterday. Also looking like the horses will be out of the "sacrifice paddocks" and into the big grass field soon!!

I'm about ready to bring the horse blankets home! I think my horse is ready too, he is busting out of them now that he's put on weight and he is as tired of them as I am.

What have you other WNYers been up to these last few days? And what are your plans for spring?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

My boys are all mud puppies right now!Q
    Looking forward to the Spring Equine Get Together in Lockport....any other WNY COTHERs going?
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I just finished spring break and I am back in Grad classes until May, but my mom and I did ground drive the new horse (Nov.) twice last week and as soon as I have a place to ride I will be putting the 6 yr old back to work so I can hopefully show him in the Southtowns series this year. I was also looking at my driving ponies thinking that with a shedding blade and ~10 minutes I could stuff a pillow . At least those 2 know thier jobs and just need conditioning so they probably will go to work in May.

Christa

Oh yes my grey horse is black most days now! He loooves the mud.

Christa the Southtowns Series is really nice isn't it? I wish we had something like that up here in the Northtowns. Though I think Northfield is participating this year, so there will at least be one or two up my way. Props given to Longacres who spearheads that Series and does a good job offering affordable and fun showing opportunities to WNY riders.

I got to have my first lesson on Sam since July... yay! Ground was still hard, but we rode outside and it was otherwise beautiful. Though my BO says it's supposed to snow this weekend again. ):

I'm also hoping to do the Southtowns series this year... I've heard it's a lot of fun. Will definitely be at the Lockport get-together... hope to meet a lot of you there!

Changing weather means getting sick and not being able to see the pony.
    It is sooo nice out.
    But I did hear it is going to snow this weekend.

Does anyone know of any mini-events like the one they did at sugar brook last year?

It is beautiful, and I am working outside as fast as I can, trying to get as much done as I can before it snows again. There are lots of mud covered hairy beasts in the paddocks, I need to keep adding one more into the work schedule....
    Have 2 more to bring out this year, one I hope to take to the Southtowns series if I don't sell her before, and another young pony, as well as 3 that have been going right along...

Smile

Definatly spent all weekend working outside and at the barn. Rode my horse for the first time in months!...This week I am starting back into regular riding, getting Vinnie back into shape. All this warm weather is getting me excited for doing some Eventing and X-Country Schoolings this summer with him and my friends/their horses!

Also have ben starting to clean up the house and yard, getting ready to put in fencing & a small barn so my horse can come home this summer!

Amazing how the sun/warm weather wakes you up!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

If this isn't spring, I'm going to be VERY disappointed!

I went trail riding yesterday thru what HAD been quite a nice trail. Loggers were in it this winter and it had some challenges that weren't there before. I wasn't too worried about leaving deep hoof marks since there are only 3 people who ride on it and it is already so messed up. My mare was quite nice about everything and went thru all the water and jumped every log without issue. Mostly just trash logs that were left behind so nothing with any height. It was just so nice to be out and riding again!
    I also took off all the pony's blankets until the weather turns snarly again. Let them roll and shed out naturally for a bit. They had a full winter coat before i put the blankets on late last fall.
    Gotta say I was a little sore last night and that would be an "easy ride" normally...winter couch time is showing its ugly side!

I have had Dumplin' out for walks in the back fields and there is all sorts of bright green shoots popping out!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

It's looking pretty good in S. Ontario, as well! The redwing blackbirds, robins and even the killdeers are back. The Canada geese are starting to hang around the pond, and the horses have their favourite mudholes all picked out. The shedding blade got a good workout tonight, as well!

The robins, red-winged blackbirds, sparrow-hawks, and mud ponies are all back, so perhaps we're halfway to wicked humidity, unbelievable flies, and throat-clogging dust. Bring it on!
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

I can't believe I actually got excited yesterday when I saw a fly. 'Course, I was more excited when I saw the cat kill it.

Hey, FG, how's Win?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I can't believe I actually got excited yesterday when I saw a fly. 'Course, I was more excited when I saw the cat kill it.

Hey, FG, how's Win?
    Win is good. Thanks for asking! We changed his trim up a bit and he is moving greeeeat! I'm wanting to learn to cast his feet, but truthfully, he's looking so sound right now I'm afraid to change anything up.

He has been a perpetual mudball lately but he is enjoying himself. And hey all that dirt seems to expedite the shedding process... chunks of hair pulling out with the crusts of mud.... LOL.

Who'd you lesson with? Glad Sam was a good boy!!