The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does white electric cord/rope work?

We have MAJOR fence chewing going on and I can just see my fence investment slowly, no quickly, going down the drain.

We have THREE stands of the white wire/rope and they laugh at it. Im sure its working. I know the wire is a much better shock, but I hate the thought of the wire getting in the fields, and you can't see it as well as the white rope.

Please help

Our pastures are multi-acre sized so we had to find something affordable
    that would hold the horses safely. We are using two-ply cable (the seller's
    grand name for barbless wire, two strands of 12.5 gauge wire twisted
    around each other). We have three wires, the top and bottom ones are
    "hot" (yes, you can run regular fence wire, even barbed (shudder), to a
    fencer but you need a fairly powerful one). Our horses don't mess with
    the fence wire, some won't even go very near it. We have found the extra
    cost of putting wire tensioners into the fence is well worth it; we just take
    the crank and tighten the fence a bit if it starts to sag. And we can loosen
    it up easily if we need to drop the fence to drive a vehicle through the
    fenceline for some emergency reason.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Sounds more like you either need better grounding or a more powerful charger. I have 2 strands of the white rope fencing and trust me, I know personally, it packs a punch if you happen to get zapped.
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

I get a reading of 3 out of 4 on the tester. But, I only get zapped 1 out of every 3 times I touch the wire. I think maybe b/c you have to specifically touch the metal part of it???
    Mine is wire and white plastic strands twisted together.

we alternate the rope with non-hot(bayco) fencing and the rope definately gives you a shock.

Now with that being said, have you walked around your fencing and tested it at different points as you can lose the charge, if it's being grounded out somewhere along the line.

We've had this happen where we get a great result in one spot and 300 feet or more away it drops off, only to find out something seemingly benign is interferring.

Plastic doesn't conduct. Metal does. If there is too much plastic to metal, then the chances are too high that any given touch point is plastic, not metal. My Horseguard fence is a metal/plastic mesh, but there's PLENTY of exposed metal such that touching the flat face of the tape WILL give you a shock.

So yeah, put up either pure metal hotwire, or use electric "rope". It's not about visibility at that point - that's what your main fence is for. It's about the horses learning that getting too close to the fence means they get "bitten". So, they stay off the fence. And yes, once they are that close, they can indeed see the wire.

My horses go right through plastic rope and tape electric fence, but stay away from bare electric fence wire.

The shock from my Electrobraid fence will knock me to my knees (I'm a big sissy when it comes to electricity). Average voltage at the very far end of the pasture, farthest from the power unit, is 8-10,000 volts. If you're only getting an intermittent shock (mine is on a pulse every one second) you might check your grounding system. I can't imagine any critter ignoring my rope fence!
    Click here before you buy.

I wonder if mine is just crappy, it was really cheap at the feed store.

Before you toss it out and start over insisting it is crappy please do as others have said and test it at many locations to make sure your fencer is actually working, etc.

I use electric fence string tacked to the top rail.

Sounds like you need to go round with a tester and find where it's broken or shorting out. Either that or touch it

It's less shocking to touch-test it if you use a hay straw instead of your bare finger.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Default fencing

It is worth in investment in a good electric box, I use braided electric & my horses wont touch it, sometimes you can hear it zap if something gets against it.

RC

I, like Deltawave, have Eletrobraid fence and LOVE it! It's woven with copper wires, so it's a very high conductor. I have 4 strands - 2 hot and 2 ground. It's been up now for 10 years, and the only maintenance I've done is tighten sags every 1-2 years. It's guaranteed for 20 yrs. and supposed to be able to hold an elephant. I don't have an elephant, but it held my tractor when it slipped into neutral and rolled backwards down a hill right into it!!! I'm watching and waiting for it to snap all the ropes -- but it held! The rope was stretched to the max, but none broke. I just turned the fence off, got my tractor out, pulled out the slack, and it was as good as new -- reading 10K volts like always.

I've used the aluminum wire before, and will never use it again. My experience is that deer don't see it and run through and break it. One of the worst injuries I had with a gelding was when he got tangled in broken wire and it cut him to the bone.

Tornado, thats my biggest fear!!
    I did test it all aorund and it says its 3 out of 4. But if I touch it 4 times, I only get shocked 1 time.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedapple View Post
    But if I touch it 4 times, I only get shocked 1 time.
    If you're even WILLING to touch it again after getting shocked, then that tells me your fence isn't doing the job!

When I accidentally get shocked, it feels more like a cut and no way would I purposely touch it again. When my horses get shocked, I hear a pop and see one of them running & bucking across the pasture, then look around to see what hit 'em. I have a 3-board paddock, and run one hot rope on the top board. My cribber doesn't go near it, and I can turn her out in the paddock without a cribbing strap.

wow Tornado, I need my fence to be like that!
    My horsies have NO repect

Default Keep in mind rope can age!

The fine wires in hotwire rope can be weakened or broken by high winds or other "trauma". This is what you're testing for when you test in different places. My hot tape only seems to last a year around our area, after that we'd inspect it and find sections where the plastic was the only part connected. And of course that doesn't work. SO - we left the tape at the top for visibility, but run a fine-guage wire at a separate level to keep hot. I know in a catastrophe the wire will break, rather than slice.

And I definitely know it's working, as I won't go NEAR it myself if it's on!

If you don't want to pull all your tape, but suspect it's broken in places, you can also try running "connections" between parallel lines, to increase the chances of the current getting to all sections. We have two to three "hot lines" on each fence, and make sure we run wire between then at 50' intervals. This way, if the tape has a broken section, the current can "go around" and still keep the fence charged. But again, having at least one wire helps!

Default electrobraid

Im researching electrobraid; will it fit throught the normal wire insulators, or is it too thick?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado Run Farm View Post
    If you're even WILLING to touch it again after getting shocked, then that tells me your fence isn't doing the job!
    I have to agree with that!

The poor hubby grabbed ours the other day when he thought it was off. He was not a happy camper for quite some time.

And OP, the touching it three times and only getting shocked once might be that you are tapping it - tap tap tap - and hitting it when it is pulsing off. The fencer pulses. If you want to touch it, set the back of your hand on it and hold it there for a bit.