The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Red face I've lost me everlovin' mind...

That's it. I've gone off the deep end.

FIRSTly I spent the better part of an afternoon off, not fixing fences, not recovering barns, but, rather, doting on MANES.

The Blue Eyed Blonde(TM) I can't help it. She's Iberian descent. She has All That Hair. And it must be greased up and brushed... and might as well do the braids thing as mud season is just a mere three or four sunny days away... and then the Bohemian Child, well, that Pink stuff actually DOES work. He *had* a date with a solo comb until I tried that stuff. Our deal has always been that he gets to keep the Fabio look as long as it looks good. The minute the mane goes ratty, OFF it comes. Well, that Pink stuff manages to give him a reprieve. And his sister, of course, not to be outdone... I *could* trim hers. Hell, I could roach hers. And still might, yet. But TODAY, today SHE got some of that Pink stuff. I mean, I was using it on her blanket rubs and bald spots anyway (recovering rain rot) so might as well use it on her mane, right?

As if. As if that were not enough.

Noooooooo....

I slipped. I fell off the wagon. It has been months, more like a year really, maybe more... since I've bought anything horsey. Oh, I've asked about sheets and saddles even... I've *shopped* for boots, but have I bought any?

I don't eat out. I don't go to movies, don't even rent 'em (who has time, really?) I haven't bought new clothes in years, (well, at least since the RJ Classics jacket and shad--but I didn't *buy* them, I STOLE them. Besides--two years out now... )

But this... this could not be passed up for the Blue Eyed Blonde(TM)

"This hand-tied rope halter has a beautiful custom made nose wrap in glittery silver color nose band with securely sewn on quality name brand "Czech" glass fire polished round beads. Bead color changes in the light from Amethyst purple to navy blue /bronze AB (changes color in light) beads mixed with smaller high quality seed beads - this gives a glittery dance of beautiful coordinating colors that reflect & shine in the light."
    Oh yeah. I have LOST it. Entirely. They didn't HAVE My Pretty Pony when I was a child. This must be some kind of mid-life crisis. I thought it was bad enough that the fact that my stallion arrived in a (quite royal) purple blanket--and looked DAMN good in it--which perpetuated my whole purple thing... I thought that was bad enough. But Real Men CAN wear purple. And he looks really smashing in it.

Nooooo.... that's NOT it. I have sunk to new lows. Here it is:
    http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/4/0...4621747_tp.jpg
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370165921814

Really. She's perlino & dun. Her eyes are the lightest periwinkle, or cornflower blue, with distinctly lavender tendencies. It will be STUNNING.

Dontcha think?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I think it will be lovely on her!
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

that is one gorgeous halter, i don't blame you. So unique!

Dear Heart...one must make priorities in their life and it seems that yours are your horses. I agree, who has time for a movie when there are equine catalogs to peruse? Or who can sit and chat with friends when looking out the window, the wind teasing up those clumps of ratted, tatted, mud spattered manes that just scream for us or make our fingers itch to clean and braid?! And nails?! I look at my family when they mention the condition of my nails...as if the very word was alien to me...where in the etiquette book does it say one must keep them clean?

She will look absolutely stunning in the halter! I say go for it!

I think it's cute.

We're supposed to have fun with our beasts. I don't understand the sparkle and bling stuff (way too many years in hunters) but I think it's fun when people enjoy "fussing" with their horses.

I love it. Hmmm, would my seal brown Perchx wear it? Hmmm. I want a crazy saddle pad and wild breeches to wear while schooling. Maybe something to match that lovely halter?
    On a side note, I stopped at Dover's in Lexington Va on the way home from a conf. last Friday. Got lots of "stuff". I was bidding on ebay last night (non-horse items) so *decided" not to bring in the Dover bag from the car.
    DH is usually on a "need to know" basis re horse tack.

Yes, I am a Bling Ho too (can we start a clique?)
    If it has quality western silver on it....I have to have it (though I can't bring myself to put holes into my basket weave Simco to bling it up).
    Breastplates.
    Bridles.
    Reins.
    I think I have enough bridles to outfit an entire class at a local show (only one was bought new, in deference to the fact that I have more of a tinfoil budget! )
    Even a show halter.
    And, well, since I DO ride English too....
    I have discovered hot pink boots and wraps.
    One of my horses is named Heart, so I want a baby pad with red hearts embroidered on it.
    So......Pintopiaffe.....I will enable you and tell you that I LOFF your halter! I want to see pics when it is on your lovely girl!
    GRIN
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

It's springtime. Warm weather makes us all a little daffy. Which explains the cornflower blue nubuck halter I just bought. He will grind mud into it and render it gross immediately, and nubuck is just about the least practical halter material I can think of - but his bay self will look sooo pretty in it. For about 5 minutes.

It was 55 degrees yesterday. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

She will look fantastic in that!!! I love it!!
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

It was 55 degrees yesterday. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Yep. It's back to a crispy 13 or so this morning, and I feel no urge to shop at all. Nor brush manes.

But I think it might've made it over 45 yest'dy, which explains EVERYTHING.

I had the same kind of day yesterday (minus the bling)! And here there wasn't even a weather improvement so it must be the length of the days.

Armed with MY can of Pink I attacked the mane and tail of the Pony Princess <TM>. It was fun, much more fun than the other clean-up, muck moving activities that probably were more pressing. She now has her mane banded decoratively at the top and her tail braided. I also Furminated her which was most necessary and welcome. She lost enough hair to make another small Pony Princess. She is, after all, 1/4 Percheron, and that quarter is ALL HAIR!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I'm a bit confused. You feel you have to justify buying something for your horse? I mean, isn't that the Prime Directive?

You should get two. You know, one for everyday, and one for special occasions.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I'm not sure I can totally defend your actions until I can see photos of the pretty sparkly halter on the lovely Blue Eyed Blonde (TM)
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

What is this "pink" stuff? It sounds like something I need.
    Still Crazy After All These Years

Hmm, I can just see a bunch of the "I hate rope halters" crowd coming over to the dark side now. Should look great on your horse!
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

I'm a bit confused. You feel you have to justify buying something for your horse? I mean, isn't that the Prime Directive?

You should get two. You know, one for everyday, and one for special occasions.
    Bwhaaaahahahaha !!!

Sometimes I miss having just one, or even two ponies. THEN it certainly was the Prime Directive. Alas, when you have A Farm you have to be "practical" and reuse and recycle. I try to make sure each horse has SOME one thing that is theirs and was never anyone else's. Sometimes it's a pretty browband to go on a hand-me-down bridle. Sometimes it's a halter.

This time it's a BLINGY halter.

I'm not usually one for a ton of bling, but the whole 'purple-navy-bronze' change in the light thing... I mean really, on a dun perlino, could you GET more perfect?

As far as getting two... well... between you and me, it seems as if the leetle medicine hat paint mare had to take advantage of free/combined shipping and get HER own halter too. It's not blingy... but is purple, with a teal weave-wrapped noseband, and some sort of light blue/teal edging on the wrap-weave noseband... SHE has ice blue eyes, with the most stunning Elizabeth Taylor eyeliner. I AGONIZED over the colour choices.

C'mon, we've been ALL SHARING THE ONE ROPE HALTER. That's pathetic. Really. What if there were wildfires? (in March, with 3' of snowpack still ) or Floods (I live 850' UP a MOUNTAIN )... I mean, it's a safety issue, truly. We won't mention the half-dozen halters in icky clearance colours hanging in the guest-tack room..

I'm better now. It's going below zero tonight. My shopping is done for the year.

Hope this isn't changing the subject too much but Pinto -I hope this means your water is fixed?
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s