The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default trucks

I dont agree with the trailer brakes being a problem if your trailer is not stopping, yes that can contribute but there are many times in certain situations like stopping suddenly or stopping going down hill that you need a larger truck and no matter how good your trailer brakes are working you can loose control of the trailer and it can come around on you.

I believe what some of the others have said , you can never have too much truck.

RC

Trailer Life has, for many years, published an on-line guide to towing capacities. Here's the link http://www.trailerlife.com/

For any individual vehicle you must consult the owners manual for relevant weight data. You also have to weigh the truck to find out the true "curb weight" for the vehicle as set up.

In most cases the load capacity of the one ton is significantly larger than the 3/4 ton, but the towing capacity is not always so.

The biggest difference for me was that you can't get a dually in a 3/4 ton truck from any manufacturer. I understand you can do an aftermarket dual rear wheel installation, but that's more than I want to deal with.

We pull a 4H slant load with a small LQ. The CAT scale says the trailer with equipment but without horses, hay, tack, water, food, human baggange, etc. is 7300 pounds. My 2008 Duramax 3500HD is rated for 15,200 towing capacity, so I can fully load the trailer and be safe and legal. I like to be both.

You also have to ensure that you don't exceed the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) and don't overload either the front or rear axel. Again, here, the CAT scale at your local truck stop is your friend.

G.

Hasn't Ford been making an F250 dually for the last couple of years? I thought I had heard that.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I have a 1 ton diesel dually.

I love it.

I haul my 4 horse head to head with it. My flat-bed loaded with 225 bales of hay. Flat bed with the tractor on it to bring it in for service.

Basically pretty much anything within reason. Don't have to worry about whether or not I have enough truck.

(And yes I have done the math and checking to know what I can haul, but the above is just the short/quick answer)
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Corgi View Post
    I dont agree with the trailer brakes being a problem if your trailer is not stopping, yes that can contribute but there are many times in certain situations like stopping suddenly or stopping going down hill that you need a larger truck and no matter how good your trailer brakes are working you can loose control of the trailer and it can come around on you.

I believe what some of the others have said , you can never have too much truck.

RC
    And here is another classic example of inexperience, this thread is comparing 3/4 ton to 1 ton. The basic difference between them is stiffer rear springs and two extra tires, that is it.

Size, weight, wheelbase, powertrain, and yes even the brakes are the same in many instances. And yet people still believe the dually is "more" truck. Granted a dually can CARRY more weight, but that doesnt make it any safer......unless youve been overloading the 3/4 ton.

With the size of trailer we are talking about here, if you want to claim the "truck can control more weight" or the "tail wagging the dog" youre going to have to get into medium duty truck territory. There just is not enough difference in size/weight when comparing 3/4 ton through 1 ton pickups....or a 1/2 ton for that matter.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Quote Originally Posted by nashgirl View Post
    Hosspuller, I really appreciate the clarification about the two trucks. I was hoping to avoid a dually anyway. So, worst case scenario I may just have to "upgrade" to a more powerful 3/4 ton. This is good news!
    You don't have to have dual wheels on a 1 ton. I have an F350 diesel shortbed non dually. For only 2 horses I don't know that you need to upgrade. If you are planning to actually tow 4 horses in a 4 horse then yes, you do. OTOH the GN vesus bumper hitch at that size trailer you DO need a GN on a 4H trailer....but it sounds like your 2H is a GN already.

It depends on the gearing in the 3/4 ton.

I have a steel 3H BP. We pulled it all over with a Heavy Duty 3/4 ton Ford that was geared for towing. My mom's 3/4 ton Chevy was geared more for highway than pulling and it struggled with the trailer.

Also 1 ton trucks are not all Duallies. My mom now has a 1 ton, extended cab, long bed Ford Diesel that is not a Dually - you also don't even notice the 4H GN stock trailer behind it .

Christa

1 ton is a generic term for a class 3 truck, it does not have to be a dually. My 3500 is a Single Rear Wheel, but it is still considered a "1 ton"....even with its nearly 2 ton payload capacity. The "ton" ratings really dont mean anything to a modern truck to begin with, even the 1/2 ton trucks are getting close to 1 ton payloads in their current forms.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Wink

I own a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel pickup with the regular cab, 8 foot box. I cannot stand dually trucks because they are forever spinning tires and getting stuck in mud, snow etc.

We pull both my 4 horse head to head as well as my new 3 horse slant with full living quarters with no problems at all. The engine has tons of torque and power even with the trailers both loaded up. I have a manual transmission as well which always helps with the heavier loads on board....ever wonder why full size tractor trailers are not automatic?

Anyway we did have to put extra air bags under the rear suspension as the living quarters trailer is quite heavy up front but other then that we are just fine with what we have now. I have no intentions of replacing this truck anytime soon (it is now going on 16 years old) and if I ever had to it would be with another 3/4 Dodge Cummins diesel.