The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So when do you need a 1 ton truck?

I currently have a 3/4 ton truck and pull an XXL 2H GN. I am considering a larger trailer (3-4 horse) and I can't seem to get a straight, factual answer about how much trailer the 3/4 ton truck can handle. I'm not a gear head by any stretch of the imagination, so as soon as someone starts talking about displacement and ratios my ears start to buzz...

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I have an F350, V10 long bed. I can pull a bumper pull 4 horse steel trailer like it isn't back there, and no anti-sway bars or load distributing hitch either. I have a two horse and it just clicks along.

I like that I can have a ton of hay set on my truck at the hay guy's, and my truck doesn't squat under the load. Heck, I pulled a 12,000lb front loader on a flat bed and it was a breeze.

I can't really answer your question, but I know I have more truck than I'll ever need (unless I get the wacky idea to pull a 6 horse, or something)
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Always better to have too much truck than not enough. Know that doesn't help much...
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

I have a 3/4 ton and a 1-ton dually. I usually use the 3/4 ton truck with my big 2-horse, and the dually for my 4 horse h-t-h. I would only use the 3/4 ton truck with my 4 horse for quick local trips, or if I only had 1 horse in the 4 horse.

You will really feel the difference going up hills. But the SAFETY aspect with be evident when you try to STOP. The dually can stop my fully-loaded 4 horse from highway speed. I'm really not sure the 3/4 ton truck could do it. Gives me the shivers at the thought.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

You need to look on the driver's side door frame and check the weight rating numbers that are listed as the maximums for your 3/4-ton truck. If the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the new trailer is higher than these, you need to move to a truck with numbers that equal or exceed the trailer's. This MIGHT be another 3/4-ton with a different engine / axle / transmission set-up. Or it may be a 1-ton if the trailer is that big.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Smile Answer: number of rear wheels

The main difference between a 3/4 ton and one ton truck is the dual rear wheels. Only dual rear rear wheel trucks are true one ton trucks or class 3 trucks. The dual wheels provide the weight carrying capacity for the large GN trailers. Otherwise the trailer pulling capacities of the two trucks (Same engine, transmission, rear axle ratio) are about the same.

A lesser difference is the stability provided by a the duallys under a trailer. I find the dually requires less mid-curve corrections than the 3/4 T truck under the same trailer.

Default Not So...

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    You need to look on the driver's side door frame and check the weight rating numbers that are listed as the maximums for your 3/4-ton truck. If the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the new trailer is higher than these, you need to move to a truck with numbers that equal or exceed the trailer's. This MIGHT be another 3/4-ton with a different engine / axle / transmission set-up. Or it may be a 1-ton if the trailer is that big.

*star*
    ShotenStar ... The GVWR on the door pillar is the max weight the TRUCK may be loaded to. To get the max trailer weight, one needs the Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Then subtract the loaded truck weight to get the max trailer weight.

" So when do you need a 1 ton truck?"

All the time!! When it comes to trucks, bigger is always better!!!
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Since you already have a 3/4 ton, get your new trailer and tow it around and see how it handles. If you don't like it, get a bigger truck.
    As far as breaking goes; IF the trailer brakes are working properly, having a 1 ton or 3/4 ton in froont should not make any difference. If you are having any trouble stopping, have the trailer brakes checked.

I think I'd be MUCH more comfortable hauling a 4h trailer, with 4 horses, with a 1 ton.

Much.

Default Thanks for the replies!

It seems like the 3/4 ton should be OK... The detail I didn't provide in my original post is that I am in need of a larger trailer, but not necessariily to haul more horses. I have two big WBs (17.2), one of whom has decided that he needs lots of room or he scrambles. So I am looking at larger trailers but don't really plan to haul more than two horses at a time.

Hosspuller, I really appreciate the clarification about the two trucks. I was hoping to avoid a dually anyway. So, worst case scenario I may just have to "upgrade" to a more powerful 3/4 ton. This is good news!

I had a 1/2 ton that I pulled a 12' stock trailer with and it was great. Then I got a 2H GN and the 1/2 ton was not enough truck. I got a 3/4 ton diesel and you hardly know the trailer is there. Then I got a 4H GN and it felt the same way with the 3/4 ton as the 1/2 ton felt with the 2HGN ...not good. So I got a 1ton duallie and got that nice feeling again like the trailer isn't even there. I'm not good with ratings and ratios either. But that's my experience. You will probably feel much better with the 1 ton. The 3/4 ton felt OK with the bigger trailer, but once I pulled it with the 1 ton, I knew the 3/4 ton was not good enough. Now I have 2 trucks and 2 trailers. :-P

Smile

avezon, my husband would probably stroke out about 2 trucks, 2 trailers for 2 horses! The cost and craziness of it is one concern but his biggest fear would probably be that he would have to become a horse chauffer.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Always better to have too much truck than not enough. Know that doesn't help much...
    My answer too. I have a 1ton-probably don't need it. I only have a 3h gooseneck and rarely haul full load. 2 is usual. But just peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nashgirl View Post
    Hosspuller, I really appreciate the clarification about the two trucks. I was hoping to avoid a dually anyway. So, worst case scenario I may just have to "upgrade" to a more powerful 3/4 ton. This is good news!
    I would like to get a small LQ trailer so that I have someplace to sleep, and A/C. I am dreading telling hubby that we *might* need a 1 ton instead of the 3/4 ton. I only have one horse, and will probably at max have two horses.

Quote Originally Posted by nashgirl View Post
    avezon, my husband would probably stroke out about 2 trucks, 2 trailers for 2 horses! The cost and craziness of it is one concern but his biggest fear would probably be that he would have to become a horse chauffer.
    Ha! Yes. Mine would have, except HIS is the duallie/4H and MINE is the 3/4 ton 2 horse. His and hers trucks and trailers. The kids call them "Mommy's truck' and "Daddy's truck".

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Ha ha - or you will end up like I did one summer ...having to turn the air conditioner off every time you go up a hill!

"So when do you need a 1 ton truck? "

When the 3 or 4 horse trailer youre looking at has LQ. Other than that you should be fine with a 3/4 ton.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Quote Originally Posted by equusus View Post
    Since you already have a 3/4 ton, get your new trailer and tow it around and see how it handles. If you don't like it, get a bigger truck.
    As far as breaking goes; IF the trailer brakes are working properly, having a 1 ton or 3/4 ton in froont should not make any difference. If you are having any trouble stopping, have the trailer brakes checked.
    Excellent, a voice of experience. You saved me some typing.......
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%