The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horsey birthday party for my 25 year old -- silly photos

My mare, Andy, turned 25 yesterday and I thought she deserved a bit of a fuss. We decorated her stall and I shined her up as best I could (she is still yak-coated) and we put a few braids in her mane and forelock. We fashioned a sash from streamers and a friend had brought a tiara. I bought a couple of carrot cakes and we sang happy birthday and had her "blow" out her candles in the middle of the arena (I kept the plastic cover on the cake so she wouldn't snort all over it). All the horses in the barn got apples and carrots for the occasion.

She absolutely basked in all the attention... but hated her cake.

We had cake and ice cream afterwards in the house.

Here are the photos.

http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/p...erSparrowCOTH/

how cute! I've often thought of having birthday parties for the horses, but I thought that people would think I was crazy!

Good for you for honoring your old mare that way!

The BO does think I'm crazy, but that's OK...

I think a few of us needed a little silliness (I lost my beloved dog two days ago) and this did the trick. A great morale booster for all and the mare loved it.

How cute!! Happy Birthday Andy! Many more!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Lovely mare at her age you can tell she is loved. I went through your album and saw the last pic..what a big ole butt on Andy..lol..nice and shiny and HUGE..

She's a grand ole dame that needs a party and you needed it too..Kudos to you for giving her "her day".

Reminds me - Aloha's 33rd is coming up..not near the butt, but of course she is a smallish Standardbred..I bet she will love Carrotcake!

Happy Birthday, Andy--and many more!

Her butt isn't quite as big this time of year (I love that shot of both of us with our big butts; unfortunately, mine is year-round). She's a very hard keeper and the BO does a great job of keeping the weight on her.

I rode her today and she was in a great post-birthday mood, playing with the release snaps of the crossties, a little fresh in the arena, and snorty and looky when we went out for a short hack afterward.

Aww! Happy Birthday Andy! Loved the photos and I too love her big butt!

Well I certainly hope I look that good when I'm the the equivilent age! (I'm probably pretty close though LOL)
    So your mare hates carrot cake too? When we first got Galopin we tried to celebrate her birthday with carrot cake...she reacted as if we were trying to poison her! My husband was kind enough to eat her cake for her.
    Andy is a lovely lady...and Big Bird is one cool color. Happy Birthday to Andy!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

[QUOTE=MistyBlue;3949832] When we first got Galopin we tried to celebrate her birthday with carrot cake...she reacted as if we were trying to poison her! QUOTE]

Exactly! I put a little icing on her muzzle to see if she would lick it off and she immediately rubbed her face in the hay to get it off. What is it with these horses, anyway--have we owners actually ever tried to poison them?

Big Bird, on the other hand, loved his icing and licked his bowl clean.

Default Happy Birthday, Andy

I don't think it's at all crazy to have birthday parties for horses. I had one for my mini last summer when she turned 20.

Default Very Sweet!

Hey Vesper,

Andy looks so happy and well loved. Great way to celebrate her quarter century. I want to do the same when my boy gets there

P.S. Sorry about your dog
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

Vesper,

A big happy birthday to Andy, and thanks for sharing, this was my favorite post here in a while. Congrats!

Default A B-day Bash every year!

Of course you had a party!

My gelding's Sweet 16 is coming up. He's getting what every boy of that age wants-- a Mustang-- either the car or the girl.

Last year he was "old" and got on massage (loved it). I had to work, missed his birthday (counted on him not owning a calender) and bought my way out.

The year before that he felt mature, so instead of getting presents he gave them. There were those signed charity cards-- the ones you get at gas stations or the grocery store for a buck or so-- signed by him all over town. It looks like someone wrote left-handed, but I thought the signatures and the thought were pretty mature for a 14 year-old boy who is a horse.

He went on a cool trail-ride that turned into some bush-whacking deer-chasing because he wanted to. I just grabbed mane and went where he chose. What else would a 13 year-old Man do, but go deer hunting on the day he Comes of Age?

There is more.... but this is getting out of hand. You get the idea.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Somantu! Andy thanks everyone for the birthday wishes, too!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    My gelding's Sweet 16 is coming up. He's getting what every boy of that age wants-- a Mustang-- either the car or the girl..
    MVP, that's hysterical! Now I know I'm not the only whack-job out there!

My 3 year old still isn't sure about the difference between a girl and his mother (he had a crush on old Andy for a while, but it was a confused crush, if you know what I mean), let alone the idea of dealing with a wild and spicy Mustang girl! I love the idea of letting your horse decide where he wants to go on a trail ride and you end up chasing deer. That's going to go in my bucket list for my guy when he grows up.

Make sure to wish him a happy 16th for me...

Too bad COTH doesn't have birthday announcements for our horses, too...

Default Thanks! Anyone else?

VesperSparrow--

By the time you spend this much time, money, effort and sweet lovin' on these animals, why not get into custom-made birthday celebrations? When the come around this time of year, there's not much else to do besides take the mud and hair off them every day.

So let your three-year-old confuse momma love with hot girl love. You can buy him therapy for, say, his 10th birthday.

As for Andy's 26th, how about a box set of _Sex and the City_? Who else but a woman who has been 26 and is also "over the hill" would appreciate that? Of course horses are 26 and over the hill at the same time, so the gift fits.

Anyhoo, I'll pass on your birthday wishes on the 22nd when my gelding goes to the DMV in the AM and his first date that night. A big day.

MVP, clearly I'm in the bush leagues compared with you . You obviously have a special talent, a knack for knowing what horses need and want. Have you ever considered event planning for horses? We could extend the idea of therapy for sex-challenged geldings on their 10th birthday... to an event where all the horses present get therapy... and their owners, too!

As for Andy, she's a real cougar. At the same time she was entertaining Big Bird's "advances" (he was rather cloying), she was also cavorting with a 28-year old, which led to some serious fights in the pasture, since the situation was making Big Bird feel very insecure, to say the least. So I don't think she considers herself "over the hill" at all.

MVP, you have given me some serious giggles this morning. Thank you!

Smile

The pics were great and I think its awesome that you did that for your horse. I must add both of your horses are beautiful.
    Proud Owner of Acertifiable Sonny 1996 AQHA Sorrel Gelding
    -- I loff my QH Clique

So adorable! Happy birthday Andy! My gelding's 25th birthday is next month, and we're having a party for him...mostly because I just want to put a party hat on him I don't know what he'll think about cake either!
    Proud Closet Canterer!

What a pretty girl!!!

Ted's 17th is this Friday. The weather will be colder, but I will bundle up and we will have a grazing fest.
    Last edited by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"; Mar. 17, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues