The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Central NC - Will It Ever Stop Raining?!! A Vent

The title says it all. After rain and SNOW here last week, then a brief warm, spring-like time... it's raining AGAIN. My rain gauge says that since Friday I have gotten almost EIGHT inches of rain. My pastures are all sheeting water off them like they were rivers. The mud is unreal but of course the ground can absorb no more water. The river is as high as it was during the last hurricane. The pastures are turning founder-green under it all. I had a hard time getting the golf cart to go up into the upper pasture, it was sliding so bad.

Should we begin building an ark? I am so over this!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Yes. It will stop raining when its time for the grass to grow. Then we will have a drought until July.

We are having the same miserable weather here in SE Virginia...it gets you and then us. I'm so OVER it! We had a foal born here Wed. night that has had to be in since Thursday night. We put a blanket on him and put him out today for a short time out of desperation to let the little guy exercise a bit and the footing was so bad, it scared me watching him run and slide. Tomorrow we'll put him in the arena where at least the footing isn't greasy. I think we are turning into ducks here...our horses all look like drowned rats. The inside horses at least get a break from it overnight but the pastured horses are miserable.

My Gator in 4x4 mode is having a hard time in places. It really is miserable. I'd guess we got that much rain also but my gauge is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    Yes. It will stop raining when its time for the grass to grow. Then we will have a drought until July.
    Yep...and then the temps will be 100 plus with absolutley no breeze......is anyone sick of the damn wind too?

Most of the horses have been in at our barn this weekend.....I have been putting mine out...I would rather have wet horses than silly, crazy horses falling in the mud after 3 days of confinement.

Ours are going out also...with rugs if they need them. The only one that we have not kept out is the mare with the new foal. It was just too raw and miserable for him to be out long blanket or not.

The wind never quits here...blows all the time. I have been sick of it for a long time!

Mine are out in it, snuggly in their rugs, and I've also snuck in my daily rides when the rain's light, but the only place to school is on top of the hills!

Someone is playing with the weather levers for sure!

Do you think we are out of the drought yet? I went to a clinic in Columbus this AM, left at o dark thirty to get there-sideways rain all the way there, and back, in a covered, thank goodness, could bearly hear the instructor, even with the sound system cranked on high, as soon as I unloaded (still pouring now) and turned out the beasty in his blanket, the rain clears up to a drizzle!!
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

It's stopped (about 1:00 pm) here in N Georgia so the clearing is coming your way.http://www.wunderground.com/wunderma...nville%2c%20GA
    Click on the region map.

It's still a DROUGHT here in Charlotte, even with all this rain. I guess we had a few years of dry and have forgotten what spring is really like.

I know what you mean, sounds like you've had the same type of weather as Western NC! I'm so sick of the rain! I want those few warm days back... they were so pretty!

Still Raining Here, had to empty the manure spreader and hated making ruts on the way to the dumping area but no choice.

Well I can used some of the composted manure to refill the ruts IF it ever stops raining.

Forecast says rain Monday too.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

it finally let up here. I just got in from cleaning stalls and emptying the manure spreader. It is DEFINITELY soggy out there.

Im ready for those warm days to come back!
    Zion Farm - Friesian & Norwegian Fjord Horses

It's soggy - but for the most part has stopped. Supposed to be sunny and back in the 60's this week. I can deal with a few days of rain here and there...sure beats 4 months of snow in NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Been raining here east of Raleigh for four days, had four inches a bit over a week ago already and now this! It is HORRIBLE here, somehow it has to dry up before my show next Sunday!

Hey, I paid over $300 for the pleasure of RIDING in this crap this weekend at Southern Pines! That is one reason I went xc in the rain, too much money to throw away not to ride! At least, I went clean!

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    Hey, I paid over $300 for the pleasure of RIDING in this crap this weekend at Southern Pines! That is one reason I went xc in the rain, too much money to throw away not to ride! At least, I went clean!
    Good for you! I think one of my best rides ever was in a torrential downpour and blowing in sheets across the ground. My horse was brilliant and I'll never forget that ride. I could hardly see and I just pointed him and he did the rest. Big training course some years ago in NY.

Seriously though..I think my farm is getting washed down into the Dismal Swamp. I'm ready for a break!

I refuse to complain about it-remember how much we paid for hay the last 2 years? I am a little surprised it's still raining-I planted a spring garden last week-figured that would surely trigger the drought!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    It's still a DROUGHT here in Charlotte, even with all this rain. I guess we had a few years of dry and have forgotten what spring is really like.
    Dang, I was really hoping that with all the recent rain the water tables were caught up now.

I am trying SO hard not to complain, I really am, and it's hard. But I rememeber the hay prices two years ago and how our pastures dried up. With 13 horses it was hard, hard, hard, so I smile, throw feed, clean the stalls of the ones that are stalled and try to not walk too much in the mud.

But I really would like a nice day again, soon.

At least the weather changed for next weekend, it was saying rain then too but now looks like it might be nice.

Yea the pastures and paddocks look like rivers, I feel so bad for the ones out, they do have shelter to get under and the barn to run into and most are rugged, but still, they look so bored!!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

We had plenty of local good hay from 2008. Unfortunately w/gas prices being what they were at the time of baling, it was not cheap. But at least it was GOOD! Unlike in the drought, when I paid a lot for crap hay.. but at least I had it, and my horses ate.

I think the latest drought must be over after last week and this week.. surely it is here...

the river is coming up the lawn behind the house!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

And yet....STILL NO RAIN HERE!! ARRGGH
    We had our show in Tryon cancelled today because of the rain, yet we drove home into the dust bowl....sigh
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm