The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Angle Irons" - the "old school" kind?

I am wondering if anyone on here remembers what I believe were called "angle irons" or "angled irons"? They were popular in the 80's before Herm Sprenger et al did the flexible irons. I would post a picture if I hadn't lent my pair to a friend with an ankle injury, but I'll do my best to describe them:

They look just like regular fillis irons, except the bottom bar where the foot rests is angled. If you put the bottom of the stirrup on the ground, the sides go up to a ten-o-clock position.

I'm obviously not great at describing this type of thing, but surely someone remembers these? I haven't seen them in a catalog for decades, and every tack shop employee I've ever asked about them just gives me a blank stare...They've been a godsend for several people I've lent them to, and I'd love to tell them where to buy their own!

I think I've seen stirrup pads that are angled that you can use in regular stirrups. I think they have them angled from the side, or from the front. I'm thinking it was dover catalog maybe that I saw them.
    Moving at the Speed of Haflinger

I know you can still buy double offsets, which have an angled tread as well as an off-center eye for the stirrup leather. Don't know if you can buy ones with just an angled tread. I remember the angled pads, too - don't know if they still exist!

ETA: They do! Libertyville has them!
    Bucks County has the double offset irons: http://www.bcsaddlery.com/tstir.htm
    Dover carries them too.

The "double offset" is the closest I've seen, thanks! But the ones I love just have the angled bottom, not the offset top. I've tried the angled pads, and for some reason IME they don't give the same ankle pain relief as the angled stirrups...Still hoping the ones just like mine are out there somewhere!

I know exactly what you're talking about. My mom had a pair forever ago. Not sure if they still make them

Ah, yes, I remember them so well and fondly back in the 80's...they went great with my big hair too... I haven't seen the ones lately with just the bottom angled but the double offset kind can still be had and those have about the same feel.

I still have a pair in my tack trunk. Left overs from the 1950's when they were very popular.

No, I won't part with them.

Advertise for some, go to old estate auctions or watch Ebay. For sure I am not the only perons that has an old pair laying around.

Mine slant both to the inside and heels down, so when you switch leathers from side to side, you have to restring them. You won't switch as often as you should..

CSSJR

I remember those even though I was born in the 80s.

Not sure if they still make the ones that swivel(sp?) to an angle when you put your foot in them. Maybe those would work for your friends? If they are still made!

Libertyville Saddle Shop still carries them, they call them Offset Foot Fillis Stirrups http://www.saddleshop.com/eng/engset.htm They also have just the offset loop ones as well as the double offset ones.

State Line Tack has them. Item number 734803, and they are $29.99/pair in the latest catalog. You can go to their website and do a search by item number to be sure that's what you were looking for. I had them years ago before Sprengers, and liked them very much.

Wow, I hadn't thought about those stirrups in a hundred years. I think I have a pair in a box in my attic...right along with my RUST BREECHES!!! (sorry, I couldn't help myself, but it's true)

In the interim, you might suggest the D'angle stirrup pads for them - they work just about the same way.

I think this is what she is talking about!! These are the new version!

http://www.stirrups.co.za/

Wow, there's a lot of different stirrups out there these days!

Pony4me, those State Line ones are the closest I've seen to what I'm talking about! But upon closer inpection, I see that they are not "fixed" in that position, they flex like the Spengers. Darn, so close, but that fflexing action doesn't work for some ankle injuries IME.

Beethoven, the ones you posted look like they would feel the same as mine, but I wish they had a more traditional look. Same idea for sure though!

I think cssutton may have found what you were looking for
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Wow, there's a lot of different stirrups out there these days!

Pony4me, those State Line ones are the closest I've seen to what I'm talking about! But upon closer inpection, I see that they are not "fixed" in that position, they flex like the Spengers. Darn, so close, but that fflexing action doesn't work for some ankle injuries IME.

Beethoven, the ones you posted look like they would feel the same as mine, but I wish they had a more traditional look. Same idea for sure though!
    Yea I searched the net but could not find the more traditional looking ones. The closest are definatly pony4me. They are not jointed in the same way as HS, but I think rather you put you heel down and they stay angled, so not exactly like yours but close than the HS.

As I said above Libertyville has the ones that have just the angled tread, just the offset eye or botht he angled tread and offset eye. Fixed, not flexible. With their website you can not link to a specicifc product, so just look under stirrup irons on the left hand menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    As I said above Libertyville has the ones that have just the angled tread, just the offset eye or botht he angled tread and offset eye. Fixed, not flexible. With their website you can not link to a specicifc product, so just look under stirrup irons on the left hand menu.
    The product number is 05-0902

Christa

Default A MILLION THANKS!

Yes, the Libertyville ones http://www.saddleshop.com/cgi-bin/sh...rchResult.html are just what I was looking for!!! Thank you! And for anyone with ankle/achilles tendon pain, IME these feel MUCH more comfortable than the ones with the offset eye. Great detective work, thanks again!