The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Elizabeth Solter Clinic in Parksley, VA on 3/29/09; UPDATED auditing info in post #10

The Eastern Shore Short Circuit Horse Show Association is hosting a clinic with Elizabeth Solter on 3/29/09 at Deer Run Farm in Parksley, VA, on the beautiful Eastern Shore. This is an easy drive from the Richmond & Tidewater area and the Baltimore area.

10:00 - Beginner-Intermediate
    2:00 - Intermediate - Advanced

The sessions are 2 hours long and divided into 50% flatwork and 50% over fences.

There is a maximum of 10 riders per session, so please sign up ASAP!

The fee is $150.

This is an excellent opportunity at a reasonable cost. Elizabeth is best known as the rider of the famous Rox Dene. She was the World Hunter Rider Champion in 1995 and 1996; the AGA Rookie of the Year in 1995; a member of the USET in 1995 and 1996; and a World Cup team member.

Please RSVP to Laura Flournoy at (757) 710-2493 or Tammy James at (757) 665-5255.

Hope to see you there!
    Last edited by seabreeze; Feb. 18, 2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: update title
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Bumping for more views over the weekend.

Seabreeze I hope you don't mind, but I posted this on the SOMD.com (Southern Maryland.com) website under Horses. How far would you say the clinic location is from PG Equestrian Center in Upper Marlboro??

Will this clinic be indoors or outdoors?

Also is there a fee to audit??

This is a great opportunity. Not only is Elizabeth an amazing rider, she's a very clear and straight forward teacher.

Edited to add: Be ready to work on more than just jumping... She's keen on improving adjustabillity with exercises in extension/collection, shoulder-in/haunches-in, and balance & self-carriage on the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMome View Post
    Seabreeze I hope you don't mind, but I posted this on the SOMD.com (Southern Maryland.com) website under Horses. How far would you say the clinic location is from PG Equestrian Center in Upper Marlboro??

Will this clinic be indoors or outdoors?

Also is there a fee to audit??
    Not Seabreeze but I live in that area. It takes me about 3 hours and 40 minutes to get to PGE and I am about 20 minutes south of/past the clinic location. I believe the clinic is outdoors (pretty sure the hosting farm does not have an indoor). When I called to reserve our spots earlier they were working on an audit fee. We are very exited that the local show association was able to put this together!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Thanks, greymare, for the distance calculation. The clinic is outdoors. So glad you've reserved your spot! I think slots are going to fill quick...this is the first we've adverstised.

Audit fee - not confirmed, but will be very minimal...cheaper than lunch for the kids at McDonalds, probably...LOL. The hosting association's goal is to provide a quality educational experience that is reasonable for most people to afford...and we SO thank Elizabeth for working with us to that end.

ShowMome, thanks for cross-posting...we don't mind at all!!

bumping for more views over the holiday weekend

I would love to do a clinic with E. Solter, but 10 people per session is HUGE!!! How do you participants expect to have any individual time? I have done a clinic with 5 (Greg Best) and it was too many people. I much prefer 4 or less.

Good luck to all who go.

Wow just did a map search. So the farm where the clinic will be held is on the Eastern Shore of VA? When I saw Deep Run I was thinking outside of Richmond. Does the farm have a website??

The size of the groups was Elizabeth's call, and I feel confident in her ability to manage the group size.

Yes, the clinic is on the Eastern Shore, and as I noted in my first post, it is a lovely area (okay, so I'm a little biased ).

Deer Run Farm is a small, private farm. It is not a boarding or training facility, so the owner doesn't have a website. The farm owner was kind enough to host the clinic for free to help the ESSCHSA keep costs down. We are very grateful for her generosity.

Update on auditing: Auditing is free for ESSCHSA members. Non-members can audit for only $10 per person.

i would love to go but its so awkward to get to it would take 5 hours.

I did a clinic with Elizabeth Solter in State College a few years ago. I think our group had at least 6 and I still felt like I got plenty of personal attention. I like that she places equal importance on flatwork and jumping. I found that after a thorough flatting, the jumps just sort of fell into place because my horse was so responsive. I would encourage anyone who is interested to go for it! I got a lot out of my time spent with her. We had people of varying levels all riding together and she did not hesitate to adjust poles/fences to exactly what she thought would benefit the individual rider.

Default Group size

For those with concerns about the group size, I ride with Elizabeth and have taken lots of pretty large group lessons. I have never felt like I get lost in the crowd even with many different abilities all riding together (think small pony with hunters and jumpers). So I would say go for it and have lots of fun!

Thanks, loveyalions and charrison1. I feel confident that Elizabeth can manage the groups, but it's nice to hear it from people who have actually ridden in such groups. I appreciate your input!!

There are still spots available in each group, so please sign up while you can! Thanks!

I ride with Elizabeth and let me tell you... you'll want a larger group!

She does a LOT of flat work. I remember my first lesson with my green bean. WOW did I walk away with a new perspective on flatwork as the foundation of jumping. Oh... and I was sore for DAYS!

Like previously stated... the jumps just fall into place once you finish your flatwork session. We focus mostly on flatwork... but she comes up with some challenging stuff over fences too. If you are even remotely interested please do attend! She's an amazing person, and is a lot of fun to work with.... for everyone at all levels of riding!

*** Bump ***

Can those of you in the know clarify something, please? On the CESHS website they indicate that there are three sessions (one @ 1 hour and 2 @ 2 hours) and each are limited to 4 riders. Your posts indicate that there will be 10 riders per session.

Who is correct?

Thanks!

I'm with Suniday. Could you please clarify the times and group size for us? Also roughly what are the different jumping heights associated with the levels/groups? Where would a greenie fit into all this?

TIA!

Thumbs up A Struggle

Let me say it has been a struggle to filll this clinic.
    Very few people have registered at this point.
    I was amazed, but it speaks to the financial nature of our country and sport.
    We altered the classes, dues to limited entries and green horses who couldnt handle the full 2 hours of riding time.

10:00 am 1 hour ride Beginner/Intermediate 2' - 2'6"
    11:30 am 1 hour ride Intermediate 2'3" - 2'6"
    2:00 om 2 hour ride Intermediate/Advanced 2'6" - 3'
    there are no more than 4 riders per session.

The fees: 1 hour ride = $75.00
    2 hour ride = $150.00
    Audit fee: None to ESSCHSA members or $15.00 (membership)

As stated earlier, this is a home, not a boarding/training facility. I am lucky enough to have a great arena with real nice footing. If you would come to the clinic, but are worried about stabling, my 2 beasts can sleep outside, and give up their beds. Just bring your own feed. (limited to 2 horses) or I will find you nearby stabling.

Elizabeth is an incredible rider/trainer and a lovely person. Many people would never take the time to go meet and ride with her. This was an opportunity to bring improvement that we couldn't pass up.

I am a 40+ year old riding a 17+ year old in low Hunters and low Medal type classes. I wouldnt miss this opportunity, even just to watch, with-in a two hour drive of 23421 (zipcode). Why would you?

RSVP lsflournoy@hotmail.com

Looking for property? Try the eastern shore of VA
    http://board.usamls.net/easternshore...=12249&lid=692