The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default TB Pedigree-Anne Gribbons 1st Dressage GP horse

http://www.pedigreequery.com/tappen+zee2

1961 model.

If that isn't a classic TB sport horse pedigree, I don't know what is. Very tightly linebred to Phalaris/Scapa Flow with a line to Pharos top and bottom and a line to his full brother on the bottom.
    And Gainsborough top and bottom also.

Okay, so he was a long time ago, but he still made it to GP with his breeding.

Found out about him in her Between Rounds this week, which is well worth reading.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Mar. 15, 2009 at 01:14 AM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Seems a lot of Owen Tudor horses are beautiful movers..

He is also tail female to the very, very great Son-In-Law daughter, Aloe. In the same FF 2-f, source of many hugely important horses, is the Victorian sire, Chevalier de Industrie, who is in early WB pedigrees.

He was quite a beautiful chestnut. I remember him well when Jordan Miller, Mike Miller' son, was riding him before Anne. Sensitive type like my old Bleme. Not for the faint of heart at the upper levels. Kudos to Ann for getting him to the top after Jordan died.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Not as tight perhaps, but pedigree has 2 crosses to Hampton via sire, through linebred (?) Solario, the dam sire has 3 crosses to Hampton, and second dam 2.
    (Re: Hampton- horses leading back to that line, like Maid Marian)

I like to see the Phalaris/Scapa Flow crosses more than the Phalaris/Selene crosses for sport, even though we're talking similar lines in the mares by Chaucer.

Well you'd know I'd have a soft spot for that mare line myself. The Aloe line must throw beautiful movers as Twilight Patrol, even at 17, is pretty fancy herself!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Sorry if this is off-topic, or has been addressed before. Other great TBs in GP dressage? What about Wily Trout (I don't think this is his pedigree - it's a 1960 model -as he was 6th place at the '84 LA Olympics).

Or Christilot Boylen-Hanson's Bonheur (not his JC name, and I don't have her book in front of me...)?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Default Keen?

That got me to thinking of Keen....but this is from All Breed, so you can tell me if this pedigree is accurate or not:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/keen3

I have seen War Bam referenced in some QH pedigrees, although the only picture I've seen of him doesn't look like a sprinter type. Lots of the Hampton blood in there, too.

Wonder if this guy could also jump?

Looking on Pedigree query, MOW brought in again in sire line if you look a little further back, plus, Viney, if you read this, take a look at the mare line and the mare, Odd Foot...talk about line breeding/inbreeding.

Here's Pedigree Query for Willoughby4, who they say is Keen.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/willoughby4

Odd Foot (wonder if she was club footed?) is so closely linebred as to equal inbred. I wonder what the breeders were thinking? Miss Breeze was owned by someone in Texas.

Keen is another example of a performance horse with all three of the foundation sires on the first page. He's got Herod through the Tetrarch, and Matchem through Hurry On and Man O'War. He's got at least a dozen lines to Hampton and St. Simon, and multiple lines to Ajax through Teddy and horses other than Teddy, as well as lots of Sundridge, who I am beginning to think is important. He certainly is in a lot of good sport horse pedigrees, but he's also in almost every TB pedigree somewhere. According to Dr. Birdsall, Sun Briar is in the pedigrees of quite a few of the great USET jumpers.

According to the Sport Horse Breed database, the 1960 Wily Trout was an international level eventer and stallion, who also sired at least two international level eventer. I need to buy a membership in the Equestrian Database, so I can check and see if he was ridden by Chris Bartle. Wily Trout's daughter Punchestown Lady (TB) (International level eventer--pedigree here: http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=142865) was exported to Germany and approved Trakehner. She produced a stallion named Parforce to the cover of Habicht, and he has produced 3 or 4 international level eventers.

Parforce was bred to Wundermaedel's granddaughter (tail female), through her daughter West Virginia who also has produced international level eventers for a 2006 colt. Wundermaedel is the dam of Windfall II, Darren Chiacchi's international eventer, who was sired by Habicht. The 2006 colt's dam, Woustershire, has also produced an international level eventer.

My problem is that I'm not sure precisely what international level eventer means in Europe where you have so many nations so close together that it's easy to compete internationally.

Obviously this has been a very productive line for the Trakehner breed.

I don't think that Wily Trout was a '60 model. Bartle was competing him in the mid-80's and I am sure he wasn't anywhere near in his 20's.

THough I can't comment on whether he was intact during his chasing career, I don't think he wasn't entire when he was with Bartle.
    Last edited by ahf; Mar. 16, 2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Wily has no "e'
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Must be a different Wily Trout that Bartle rode then.

Here is Punchestown Lady's JC pedigree:
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

Default Wily Trout

The 1960 model is listed as a chestnut,Chris Bartle's Wily was dark brown or dark bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Sorry if this is off-topic, or has been addressed before. Other great TBs in GP dressage? What about Wily Trout (I don't think this is his pedigree - it's a 1960 model -as he was 6th place at the '84 LA Olympics).

Or Christilot Boylen-Hanson's Bonheur (not his JC name, and I don't have her book in front of me...)?
    http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum.../Main/3547578/

Getting back to Tappen Zee, I see she was by Royal Charger, also the sire of Turn-To & from the female family of one of my favorite race sires, Round Table.