The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

[QUOTE=Frank B;
    As politically incorrect as it is at the moment,we are going to have to give serious consideration to nuclear power. The mainstream media is a big part of the problem. A boiler can blow at a fossil-fuel plant and it gets mentioned somewhere back with the used car and desperately-seeking ads. A failed toilet lift pump at a nuke plant rates screaming front-page headlines.
    QUOTE]

I think it will take the next generation to agree to nuclear. THIS generation have all seen the old science fiction movies where the giant ants, termites, whatever that are attacking the city were all mutated into giants by nuclear radiation. So lot of people have a deep seated fear of nuclear anything-at-all without realizing the cause was movies they watched as kids.

OP, for awhile a few years ago, I saw a few horse trailer hauling trucks with propane tanks in the beds. They seem to have disappeared.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

http://www.ocala.com/article/20090311/OPINION/903110998

Last Wednesday's Ocala paper

"Making manure work for us

Published: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 6:30 a.m.
    Last Modified: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 7:00 a.m.

Over the years, one of Marion County's most vexing pollution problems has been figuring a way to get rid of an unpleasant but unavoidable by-product of being the Horse Capital of the World.

We are talking about horse manure - some 500,000 tons a year of it.

Now, however, an innovative "green" initiative being pursued by the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association and Texas-based MaxWest Environmental Systems to address this odorous and water-contaminating nuisance has received the endorsement, plus a $2.5 million grant, from the Florida Energy and Climate Commission.

The FTBOA and MaxWest are partnering on a proposed $35 million "gasification" plant that would essentially incinerate up to 100,000 tons of horse and other biomass waste annually and, in turn, generate up to 10.5 megawatts of electricity that could be sold to utility companies. Gasification differs from traditional incineration because it uses no oxygen and, therefore, creates no greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide or methane.

The project partners are currently in talks with a number of power suppliers, including Ocala Electric Utility, to try and find a buyer for the energy the plant would produce, potentially enough electricity to power 15,000 homes or a town the size of Williston.

Since about 80 percent of the manure produced by Marion County's nearly 1,000 horse farms is already safely disposed of through spreading, composting and landfilling, the gasification plant would go a long way toward responsibly disposing of the remainder of the horse waste. And that would help minimize what is currently a tremendous pollutant of our lakes, streams and, yes, aquifer.

The Energy and Climate Commission, established by Gov. Charlie Crist to find ways to reduce greenhouse emissions in Florida, was prudent to give FTBOA and MaxWest such a significant portion of the $15 million in renewable energy grants it doled out this year. That only nine of 145 grant proposals were funded tells us two things: One, the gasification project is viable and promising, and two, Crist is serious about developing cleaner and greener technologies across the state.

The FTBOA project surely was easy for the commission to embrace. It seems to have all the elements of a successful green-technology project. It is a proven process. It has prominent private sponsors in the horse breeders and a company that is on the leading edge of green technology. Once it is up and running, the gasification plant will be a source of renewable energy. And, of course, in the end it will help reduce, if not eliminate, a longstanding source of pollution to our water supply.

The proposed plant is expected to be built on county-owned land on State Road 40, west of Ocala, in the heart of Marion County horse country. And while the $2.5 million from the state is just a start, it certainly gives the project an important boost in credibility as well as funding.

The FTBOA and the Energy and Climate Commission both are to be lauded - the horse owners for not giving up on their long-running quest to find a economically and environmentally effective way to get rid of its excess manure, and the Energy and Climate Commission for recognizing the gasification plant's potential to reduce pollution and create a renewable source of energy. That's what we call a win-win for the horse industry, as well as the people of Marion County and Florida."
    Everybody lies - Gregory House, M.D.

Dang it, I guess I'm going to have to share my million with COTHers!!! Duh, on the biodiesel point (why didn't I think about this, I don't know.)... that totally negates my side project here.... hahaha, totally right on on that one. And nuclear power, as my professor said in class, nuclear suffers from the "NIMBY problem.. not in my back-yard" but it's incredibly efficient and I agree completely on that point.
    And Mike... I know nothing about trains. So apparently we're converting them to biodiesel too I said I'm studying international relations... and clearly I wasn't paying attention in class because I was posting on COTH, hahaha!!! (In my defense, the class was awful and I've learned more about oil from working at Anschutz Exploration for 4 months....) So I guess I'm not making a million from this project... you know, the whole lack of engineering and the whole "Biodiesel" thing are going against me

Quote Originally Posted by Parker_Rider View Post
    Dang it, I guess I'm going to have to share my million with COTHers!!! Duh, on the biodiesel point (why didn't I think about this, I don't know.)... that totally negates my side project here.... hahaha, totally right on on that one. And nuclear power, as my professor said in class, nuclear suffers from the "NIMBY problem.. not in my back-yard" but it's incredibly efficient and I agree completely on that point.
    And Mike... I know nothing about trains. So apparently we're converting them to biodiesel too I said I'm studying international relations... and clearly I wasn't paying attention in class because I was posting on COTH, hahaha!!! (In my defense, the class was awful and I've learned more about oil from working at Anschutz Exploration for 4 months....) So I guess I'm not making a million from this project... you know, the whole lack of engineering and the whole "Biodiesel" thing are going against me
    On the contrary. All you did was prove that while sitting in class you could think up an idea worth millions. Someone else thought it up too and did make millions! You will think up a new million $ idea or just open a poop plant on the left coast. Finding out you are right and that smart is much better then finding out you are wrong Being in class on Sat means you have the work ethic to turn ideas into millions!

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    On the contrary. All you did was prove that while sitting in class you could think up an idea worth millions. Someone else thought it up too and did make millions! You will think up a new million $ idea or just open a poop plant on the left coast. Finding out you are right and that smart is much better then finding out you are wrong Being in class on Sat means you have the work ethic to turn ideas into millions!
    EquineLaw= My new favorite COTH poster hahaha!! thanks for the encouragement/validation.. always a great way to start a *monday*!!!

You do realize that in order to make a million in the horse biz, you need to start with two million...

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Dakota, thanks for posting that, you saved me the trouble of going to look it up. About two years ago I wrote an letter to the editor of the Star Banner, proposing that someone do the "manure to energy" thing, and it was posted in the paper.

My letter probably was not the catalyst, but I am happy that something is being done.

Also, from what I understand the incineration of the manure does not use more energy, something about it being self-fueling.

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Parker_Rider View Post
    This might be worth exploring, and I'm totally serious. The Denver Zoo is looking into powering all their electric needs through elephant/bigger animal poop (not even joking). If there was an all electric/mostly electric hybrid truck, this could totally work!! Hmmm... engineering classes at Colo. School of Mines, here I come, LOL
    PM RAyers on here. He is a proff @ the School of Mines. teaches some kind of crazy stuff. Here is his profile page on the school website (I admit, I googled): http://metallurgy.mines.edu/pe/faculty/Ayers.html
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

I want to market those digital laser temperature sensors to horse people, for finding out if joints/feet etc are really hot or not. Thats MY million dollar idea. Or pet people in general. Are his ear tips warm? Is he over heating or just normally sweating? etc etc
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Penthilisea View Post
    I want to market those digital laser temperature sensors to horse people, for finding out if joints/feet etc are really hot or not. Thats MY million dollar idea. Or pet people in general. Are his ear tips warm? Is he over heating or just normally sweating? etc etc
    Oh now this would be really useful!!! When are you going to put that on the market, because I want to be on the waiting list You know, to put the device in my trailer, hauled by my poop-powered truck