The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Default Eventing related movie quotes

So I had a rare night to myself tonight and decided to download a few movies from Itunes. They've recently added a lot of older movies and one of them, to my surprise and great excitement, was INTERNATIONAL VELVET! I have tried to buy this on dvd but the cheapest I found was $60 on amazon. I used to own it on VHS but we no longer have a VHS player. So anyway, I know the movie is unrealistic etc, but I think it actually makes some relevant points, and has some great Eventing related quotes. Try to say all in your head with a very British accent, they sound a lot better!

These are from when he is training the team before the International Event at Ledyard (where is that filmed btw, does anyone know? Someone told me and I forgot...).

“This is dressage, it is meant to be like a ballet, Mr. Clark, not a barn dance”

“Now, some of you may have come here with the impression that dressage is frightfully boring compared to the greater glories of the cross country event. This is because you all lack sophistication, amongst other things.”

“The origins of dressage, however, are very deeply rooted in the classical tradition, so you just have to approach every dressage test as if it were a concerto of Bach. That’s Bach as in the German composer, Mr. Armstrong, not Bach as in Dog.”

“The Cross Country event is considered by some, Ms. Brown, to be an opportunity to display carefree abandon. This is a mistake for which I would cheerfully reintroduce capitol punishment. It is a test of brains. And since horses are only marginally less stupid than some of the people who ride them, an observation which carries with it the experience of a lifetime, I would urge you not to sit on your brains but to use them.”

“The great thing about this sport is it’s here to stay.” (sometimes I wonder...)

These from Captain Johnson's conversation with Sarah after she is told she will not be riding at Ledyard:

“In life, the important thing is not the triumph, but the struggle. In other words, not to have conquered, but to have fought well.”

“You will ride not only for me, but for the greater glory of the sport and the triumph of the team. Those are not empty words.”

at the event -
    “Dressage in pouring rain is like dancing swan lake in clogs in a bog”

I haven't watched the movie in a good few years, yet some of those quotes have stuck with me. And I still *love* the beach galloping scenes...every rider's dream. Devon is so beautiful!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

You can buy International Velvet, National Velvet, Black Beauty and the old ugh Seabiscuit on 2 DVDs right here http://cgi.ebay.com/INTERNATIONAL-VELVET-Tatum-ONeal-DVD-3-Horse-Films_W0QQitemZ390035466942QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_D VD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item390035466942&_trksid=p3 286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3 A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

For a whopping $20

I have this one buy the way. Love the movie!

^Wow sweet deal! Well I'm set with International Velvet now (only $9 on Itunes), and I have Seabiscuit at home...don't like Black Beauty that much.
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Ironically, I am right now watching Anthony Hopkins in "The Edge".

What a great performance he gave in International Velvet, and those are some memorable quotes; funny, poignant, and right on the money...(They make me smile to this day!)

I have this movie on DVD (and watched it in the theatre when it came out), and it was very entertaining--marred by Tatum O'Neal's EXTREMELY irritating and insipid performance (just MO, of course , but I really wanted to just smack her: annoying whiney brat, high pitched, sing-songy, squeaky voice, flat delivery--how on earth could one take her seriously?!?

However, Anthony Hopkins was terrific, and his performance helped make the movie resonant and enjoyable...

And what a contrast in terms of actors!
    Last edited by Dr. Doolittle; Mar. 15, 2009 at 09:29 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

"Sylvester" is pretty good, if you don`t mind an implausible story line. Some excellent footage of The Grey Goose jumping (stunt double).

I was sitting on Victor Dakin under a tree at Ledyard `75, shivering in the cold rain, waiting to do show jumping, while they were shooting a piece of International Velvet.

Some British guy, also waiting, announced in that typical British understatement, "I say, this damned tree leaks."

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    I was sitting on Victor Dakin under a tree at Ledyard `75, shivering in the cold rain, waiting to do show jumping, while they were shooting a piece of International Velvet.
    Saw you there, Denny!! That rain was ridiculous. I felt so sorry for all y'all competitors and was VERY glad to be just a spectator!

Ahhh, Victor Dakin. Loffed that horse!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

"Sylvester" ! I have that movie!

I didn't know who the 'stunt' double was. Very interesting fun fact.

Funny, we just watched International Velvet at a Pony Club sleepover/rally kit check a few weeks ago. We were giggling at the implausibilities (is that a word?) but I was definitely drooling during the beach gallop scenes. It was also highly amusing to watch all the younger girls squeal when John 'seduced' Velvet while playing his awful-writer alter ego.

My favorite was easily the snarky comments to the team.

Ginny holgate, elliot, leng... carried on quite the little romance with Jeffrey during and after the filming. Here is a little tid bit. One of the actors in the Pub scene went on to become quite a famous soap actor on corrination street. Year later I taught his daughter Rosie at a young age and it was her father showing her the film that got her interested in eventing.
    Tatum was a bit of a problem on set...personal problems going on with her at the time....the other riders/actors actually put her in her place on a few occasions. She would bark and order people around...that did not last long though
    The beach scene was filmed a the Flete Estate in Devon. Thet actually used some of the cottages that are for hire there. The beach is as it was in the film. It is strange to go there because I can remember it so vividly in the film. But It is a beautiful part of the west country.

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    "Sylvester" is pretty good, if you don`t mind an implausible story line. Some excellent footage of The Grey Goose jumping (stunt double).

Some British guy, also waiting, announced in that typical British understatement, "I say, this damned tree leaks."

Both Kim and her daughter were used in the film. Andrea had the most wonderful super pony I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Ginny holgate, elliot, leng... carried on quite the little romance with Jeffrey during and after the filming. Here is a little tid bit. One of the actors in the Pub scene went on to become quite a famous soap actor on corrination street. Year later I taught his daughter Rosie at a young age and it was her father showing her the film that got her interested in eventing.
    Tatum was a bit of a problem on set...personal problems going on with her at the time....the other riders/actors actually put her in her place on a few occasions. She would bark and order people around...that did not last long though
    The beach scene was filmed a the Flete Estate in Devon. Thet actually used some of the cottages that are for hire there. The beach is as it was in the film. It is strange to go there because I can remember it so vividly in the film. But It is a beautiful part of the west country.
    Thanks for the tidbits, I don't know much movie trivia hehe. Did you work on the set or know someone who did? If so that's really cool!

My mom actually hired one of those cottages for a holiday when she was a med student in London, so she's been on the beach. I'm pretty sure the beach is (or was?) private to the Estate. We used to go to Cornwall for family holidays...Even though I know it's Devon, watching those beach scenes always brings back fond childhood memories. I'd love to rent one of those cottages for a week someday if it's still possible!

The estate does have its own web page I think. The cottages are still for hire. It is a magical place and when you are in the west country you should definitly spend a weekend there.

Amazon has Sylvestor, and the 4-volume (National Velvet + International Velvet + Black Beauty + crappy-Seabiscuit) for about 10$ each. Ask me how I know...

Was actually struck on seeing Sylvestor by (a) how much Brian O'Connor still looks the same; (b) that the movie had Helmet judging at Rolex; (c) playing is-that-who-I-think-it-is during the crash and XC scenes. But I never knew I should practice canter half-pass as part of preparing for the Preliminary dressage test...or that bouncing at the trot would give me a "fantastic" seat.