The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can't keep my horse (at cost) for that money. In the real boonies...where I am...stall board on average is $275. Pasture board with some grain fed 1x a day is $175. Feeding supplements is an extra $10. Feeding more than a couple pounds grain is an extra $15-30...no blanketing either.

My horse is now on pasture board at a different place where he gets fed grain 2 x's a day and has 24-7 access to grass hay (stall in bad weather only). They will blanket. I provide my own bedding, alfalfa, wormer, feed and supps and stall mat if I want one. My feed is $90/mo alone!

In Indiana board starts at $200 - $250 a month for that kind of care going all the way up to $550 or so for an HJ barn or one with an on site trainer. I don't agree with raising board for a high maintenence client, either stand up for yourself, do what they want, or kick them out. You can always add a fee for the different care/food they want, or tell them your barn does not offer those services.

I live in KY, and I would like to pay $200 a month!!! More like $500....

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    You could not feed my horse for $200 a month.
    Amen. I think we figured up hard costs per horse (hay, grain, bedding) at $250/month, and that was about three years ago. Since hay has virtually doubled in price since then, you should have approximately tripled your rates at least eighteen months ago.

And for a high maintenance, PITA client? $700 starting point for what you're describing. If you're taking a lot of shit for your services, you need to make them pay!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Default Hay

I'm 55 miles outside NYC and my costs alone are $250 a month per horse...
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

i just raised my board to 500.00 a month.i have been at 450.. for 6 yrs. i have two boarders that wanted to buy their own hay and grain, and they still pay 305.00 for one and 335.00 for the other. i do stalls,turnout,blanketing,wormers,vet,farrier ect...i live on the property and just finally came to me that i am not paying myself for all the work i do
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Default Don't know how you do it!!

Are you making any money at all?

I have two boarders in my private barn and provide the same services you do. I charge a base of $400 with an additional $15 for daily Strongid and another $15 for daily Solitude. So total of $430/mo. Both my boarders are very happy.

Good luck to you.

SD

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeGrace View Post
    I live in KY, and I would like to pay $200 a month!!! More like $500....
    Amen.

I pay $150 full board... BUT I am extrememly thankful and I don't look a gift situation in the mouth. I felt bad asking to keep my trailer on site since I live in the city in a small townhouse.

I live in South Central PA...

When the Diva hits you extra's tell he - that's above and beyond normal work so that'll cost you "X". Then before board is due give her a bill with all the extra's included.

Board should be your cost plus X amount of money for your time per day, so decide what you're worth and assume a small "adjustment" factor in there so when the prices of hay, feed, etc goes up you won't have to adjust the board constantly as you'll have a buffer zone built in.
    Sandy in Fla.