The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In the heart of the Bluegrass state, Kentucky! Where chiggers and turkey mites abound.

Default boarding charge????

I'm thinking I need to raise my $200.00/month board fee; full board=stall, daily individual turnout, hay, grain, blanket and fly mask duties, training facilities, handled for vet and farrier. The client is HIGH MAINTENANCE. Any thoughts please.
    Earthdogs, you gotta dig 'em!

I think the price should depend on the going rate in your area. In this area, full board as you describe is more like $700+; some places charge $550 + for stall, feed, and turnout but then have extra fees for blanketing, holding for farrier vet, etc.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

HOLY CRAP. 3x that for board alone where I was. Double THAT for training board.

My friend keeps trying to get me to move to KY.

How the heck are you not loosing money on that? I pay around $100/mo per horse--but that's NOT including bedding or any sort of labor. And the mortgage would be the same whether or not I had horses out back.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Even in Indiana board like that is around $500/mo. at an eventing barn and more like $750 at a H/J barn...
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Even if I didn't have a mortgage to pay, I'd be losing serious money at $200/month! But then, there is no grazing here, so my overhead likely includes a lot more hay/grain than yours. If I were you I'd call around to some other barns in your area that offer similar amenities, and raise your prices to the local standard, which obviously varies greatly depending on location. Or better yet, get rid of the PITA boarder and find someone else, which shouldn't be hard at that price!

In Louisiana, the going rate is about $400-$500. And we're the bottom of the barrel as far as cost of living. It's one of the cheapest areas of the country to live. $200 sounds more like self-care pricing; I think you could definitely go up!

Are you wanting to raise your rates because you're losing money, or just to make it worth your while to put up with PITA client? (Which I can understand, I'm just asking.) Do you have other boarders? Is the rate going up for everyone?

I pay $400 per month at a pretty nice stable - they feed 3x a day, all the hay he can eat, clean stalls, turn out in a paddock that does have adequate grazing, blanket if necessary, automatic fly spray, automatic water, walkers, hot/cold wash racks, covered and outdoor arenas.

I paid $345 at a stable that was not NEAR as nice as where he is now

Talking

Hmmm! Do you need another boarder? Here I come!!

Even in the boonies of the NE we pay $400 for that.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

is it just one boarder? we are self care at 165/mo, not including feed, bedding, hay, straw etc... is the horse coming in every night? mucking everyday? being feed 2x's a day? i would definitly raise the board.... i have a woman who wants to board at my barn but she can't do self care, so one of the boarders is considering caring for the horse and charging 350(owner would still pay for feed, hay, bedding)

wanted to add that we pay each other $10/day when we go on vacation, so there is $300 right there just to do the work!

In the heart of the Bluegrass state, Kentucky! Where chiggers and turkey mites abound.

Smile Thanks for the responses.....

I'm off the beaten path a bit but have a nice farm with plenty space for training. My farm is easy access to major interstates to go in any directions. The raise in boarding fees would be across the board, but I must admit, the High Maintenance Diva has given me EVERY reason to up the price! Geez! Hearing the "me, me, me" should be valid reason enough, I need $$ for more band-aids for my ears listening to that every day!! ;-)

You could not feed my horse for $200 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by centeur View Post
    I'm thinking I need to raise my $200.00/month board fee; full board=stall, daily individual turnout, hay, grain, blanket and fly mask duties, training facilities, handled for vet and farrier. The client is HIGH MAINTENANCE. Any thoughts please.
    Wow! Where I am, usually full board is just feed and clean-everything else is extra . All this for $200 and the client still is high maintainence?

As someone said, check around at other facilities nearby. I normally hate nickel and diming but maybe extra charges for blanketing duties and handling for vet or farrier. Even with that 200 sounds way low.

Love your sig line...I have a future earth dog who will be starting that this summer.

Default Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    Wow! Where I am, usually full board is just feed and clean-everything else is extra . All this for $200 and the client still is high maintainence?
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

Default YOU are going to have

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    As someone said, check around at other facilities nearby. I normally hate nickel and diming but maybe extra charges for blanketing duties and handling for vet or farrier. Even with that 200 sounds way low.

Love your sig line...I have a future earth dog who will be starting that this summer.
    FUN! My ED is 10 years old now. I have a Patterdale, she always sleeps UNDER something, blanket, pillow, the couch.....she's even crawled in a shopping bag lying on the floor. Always looking to be in a hole. Even though I'm not hunting her as a traditionalist would, she still gets to hunt around the farm. She is quite the couch potato, along with the JR, Foxhound, House Beagle, Rottie that adopted us and the little puppy my husband picked up along the road the appears to be a pitbull/lab cross. And of course, the JR handles the feral cats that come out of the woods from time to time.....

I would increase the board across the board slightly (maybe 50-100/month depending on how much you like the boarders) and then KICK THE DIVA OUT. That way your costs are covered better and the diva should pay (someplace else) for not appreciating what she's got.

FUN! My ED is 10 years old now. I have a Patterdale, she always sleeps UNDER something, blanket, pillow, the couch.....she's even crawled in a shopping bag lying on the floor. Always looking to be in a hole. Even though I'm not hunting her as a traditionalist would, she still gets to hunt around the farm. She is quite the couch potato, along with the JR, Foxhound, House Beagle, Rottie that adopted us and the little puppy my husband picked up along the road the appears to be a pitbull/lab cross. And of course, the JR handles the feral cats that come out of the woods from time to time.....
    I have a Border. A Patterdale showed up to our local club's ED last year. Cute.

You need to kick your diva out so you have more fun to do stuff with the kids. :-) I wish I lived closer to Kentucky, I would love to pay 200 a month for full board, I could have TWO horses. LOL

I'm off the beaten path a bit but have a nice farm with plenty space for training. My farm is easy access to major interstates to go in any directions. The raise in boarding fees would be across the board, but I must admit, the High Maintenance Diva has given me EVERY reason to up the price! Geez! Hearing the "me, me, me" should be valid reason enough, I need $$ for more band-aids for my ears listening to that every day!! ;-)
    The honest truth is that board is worth what people will pay and what the time and hassle is worth to you. Here in Michigan, $350 is the least you'd expect to pay for halfway decent stall board. $400 would be more like it, really. And for the service list that you're describing, $600 at the least.

If I were you, I'd just give High Maintenance Diva 30 days to leave. It sounds like she's not worth it even at $1000/month.

OP-I'm similar to you in set up and I charge $400 per month in Southern NJ. When I charged less, I had worse boarders! I'd find out the going rate in your area, kick out the PITA boarder and see if your good boarders want to work off some of the price increase in the increase in board stresses them financially(if that works for you). I actually sat down and figured out how much I spent per month per horse on grain, shavings and hay(at the most expensive months of winter) and then added my time for labor(at minimum wage) and set the board at that. My board is fair, I take good care of the horses and my boarders are all happy(or at least I think so!!) and I'm happy, too!