The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's wrong with my foxhound?

We were adopted by stray foxhound puppy back in the Fall. She is my first experience with a scent dog or hound of any kind. And boy does she have me flummoxed at times!

The big question is this: Why doesn't she have any bones in her neck? Seriously, are they supposed to be able to touch their noses all the way straight over to their backs like that? Really? And how do they bend in half like that? We should have named her Gumby! I thought she might grow out of it, but it's not looking like it.

The real question in all this is, is 4 acres enough room for her to run? We are looking to have an invisible fence installed for her. I don't want her tied all day and I don't think I could keep her in a kennel (she digs, she climbs and she whines and barks when she's lonely). 4 acres would include the house, the barn and one of the small paddocks, but be to the inside the rest of the horse fencing (meaning outside their fields, but on the house and barn side - not the property line side). She loves to run, but it is just too dangerous for her to be completely loose. She gets on a scent or harasses the neighbors horses and disrupts their lesson program. Plus she is too stupid about cars.

Any advice would be most welcome!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

I don't think hounds have any hard parts at all. It exaplins why they can squeeze through such tiny gaps in the fencing and how the same dog can curl up in a folding camp chair yet later ooze out to cover an entire queen size bed. Watching them beat themselves in the eyes with their tails because they've curled in half from happiness and can't stop wagging never gets old.

4 acres would be awesome with the invisible fencing, I bet she'd be so happy. They really love to go outside and run around and check stuff out. I am on my 3rd hound and they ARE trainable, it just takes time and patience. Cursing and throwing clumps of dirt at them is also helpful. Hounds are actually reasonably biddable once you get them to acknowledge you are in charge and stop pretending they can't hear you, it helps to have another older dog who is obedient, they tend to stick with their buddies.

I have a foxhound and a bluetick hound. I have never installed an invisible fence, because I have heard that hounds will run through them. Then again, my hounds are both weenies, and it would probably only take one zap to keep them well within the perimeter. Mine are very happy with their overhead cable run. I got one of the 100' ones, and put it between 2 trees. They just love to lounge out there, and it gives them a good range of running space.
    If you can afford to do 4 acres of invisible fencing, and won't be too upset if it doesn't work, then go for it.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

I think you're right silver2, no hard parts at all. LOL. She's a pretty good girl, but stubborn as all and sensitive too. Very unusual combo for me. But we are making progress. Getting her attention is the hardest part. The hope is that she will get better with enough exercise. A tired dog is a good dog - so they tell me. Oh, my Gorden Setter is a very good dog, esp. now that she is old. But the puppy is just too much for her. She needs lots of breaks from puppy.

The reason we are looking to have it installed is that they guarantee no "run throughs". All of them swear it is a training issue and they work with us to get the training right. If it doesn't work, they take it out and refund. But the trolley system is the back up plan - good to know it will work foxhound!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

LLDM I don't have any real advice, I just wanted to say a FH recently adopted me! Of course no one has stepped up to claim him.I checked the SPCA, Craig's list, pet finder, and our local hunts! Three wks ago I was mumbling "of course no one is missing this sack of shite!" After some persistence I'm in love with this dog.

Our hound is so darned smart I'm blown away! I never really put them at the top of the smart dog list, but this bugger is something else! Of course he was not house broken, but after just 2 days he knows what to do, and where to do it.

I would not know how to contain him as he is very eager to explore, and surely enjoys his exercise. I'm not too concerned as we are on a dead end street, and not much traffic. From the first time I handed him his groceries he knew our farm was his home, and does not roam off the farm. That said when I bring him home for the night, I do walk him on a leash as there are too many opportunities for him to get squashed here. I feel certain he could dig his way out of containment, or climb to freedom.

Best of luck with your girl!
    Collector of fine ponies.

In loving memory of Mr.Zipp 3-25-72 / 11-4-08

I found that my hounds did not respond well, until I treated them like hounds. Both had left the pack to recooperate from injuries and decided they would rather be house hounds.

I got a whip to crack. They would ignore me, deaf to my voice. Crack a whip and you have their undiveded attention.

We also have shock collars. They only have to wear them when they forget their boundaries. After the first shock, which they have never forgotten, they respond to the beep. I would think that a invisible fence would work fine.

You and your family members have become her pack, so establish yourself as the alfa. This is a lot eaiser when she's a pup, then when she is grown. (We have a female we got at four months, that now weighs one hundred fifteen pounds.)

Hounds are the best kept secret of the dog world.

Hounds will often ignore that invisible fencing. If they're on a line they'll just run right through it.

I've also seen a hound climb a 6 foot tall chain link fence. Funniest thing in the world - climbed in just like a ladder!

Whatever method you choose, fence, invisible fence, shock collar - the key is training to recall and also have a method to get them to lift if they're on a line.

If you can get the hound's attention, you'll be able to recall the hound. I use the crack of a whip to get my hounds attention. It's just a sharp quick sound - not a threat to hit her with it of course!

If you treat the hound like a hound, you will find her to be the best dog in the entire world. If you treat her like a regular housepet - you'll both end up being frustrated.

What you might want to do is ask this question in the hunting forum. There is at least one huntsman and several whippers in who will be a treasure trove of good information.

good luck! (I've had scent hounds for many years..... they are the best!)

To keep our hound in we have a woven wire fence, within that is an electric fence and within that is an underground shock fencing system.

She is one determined fence busting, egg sucking, chicken killing hound dog! But we loff her.

I have (or am had by) two failed coonhounds-- an English & a Bluetick. Both came from the shelter, unretrieved by their hunting owners who didn't want dogs that wouldn't hunt. My challenge is getting them OUT of the house; they are couch potatoes. We have a 1/2 acre city lot with 4' chain link fencing, and they never challenge it.

However, they are absolutely the most sensitive dogs I know, and I have no doubts that they'll be trainable to the invisible fence. Make a sharp click noise, or a beep, and they're attention is riveted, sometimes in an anxious what's next? way. I suspect that tendency could be put to good use in training to the shock/beep of invisible fence.

They're not stupid dogs, so use that to your advantage-- train the bejeepers out of them, and enjoy!
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

They certainly are not stupid dogs. Hounds have a way of looking at you when you give them a command, and you can tell they are considering whether being obedient is more in their self-interest than ignoring you.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

I have a coonhound. She can be very stubborn and sensitive. She is trained to come when I call her name and a sports whistle when my voice is not loud enough. And last resort when her stubborniness is high or her ears stop working, she gets the shock collar. And I get the poor, pathetic hound look.
    She makes me laugh because she wouldn't have a clue what to do with a coon. Her favorite things are howling at trees because she smelled a squirrel or may have a live squirrel to howl at, if the squirrel is game to play with her. Also she thinks newly weaned calves are her friends, sometimes the calves will wash her ears and she cleans their butts --usually a group activity.

Quote Originally Posted by appdream View Post
    I got a whip to crack. They would ignore me, deaf to my voice. Crack a whip and you have their undiveded attention.
    Rather dreamily considering how that would look in suburbia...

I've found that hounds are generally too smart for their own good and tend to come off as pretty dense when they decide they are better off ignoring the silly human.

We have 4 hounds- a plott hound, a dobie/greyhound x, a basset hound, and a walker hound (he's fostered for a local rescue).

The plott hound is incredibly smart. She watches what people do and literally does it herself. I have a loft bed and the day I we brought her home, she watched me climb up the ladder. Well, I leave the room, and sure enough, come in and she managed to climb up the ladder and was in my bed She also knows how to open cupboards, open garbage cans (both the kind where you have to step on something and he kind where you have to take the lid off) etc. She has mastered taking a 12" diameter bowl full of pasta off the counter, carrying it into another room and jumping on the couch without spilling a drop. She's also learned to make holes under the fence but not use them immediately. She'll make 4-5 holes under the fence, and then she waits until the right moment when she figures we haven't checked the fence in a while. Yesterday she got out 4 times- when we thought we fixed one hole, she went out through another one

The key to getting her to come back after she gets out is to NOT chase her. Seriously, people think that when she gets out they need to run after her and follow her. NO! She thinks it's a game and the more you chase her, the more she runs! Instead, you just watch her. She'll come back when she figures out we're not playing her game. It usually takes a while to get her if people chase her- yesterday each time she got out I stood at the door and called to her and watched her, and it took 5 minutes for her to come back.

The basset hound is stubborn and slow. He is fine without a leash because he's too lazy to go anywhere

The dobie/greyhound x is smart but not as much as the plott hound. She LOVES to run and will go until she's tired. We've tried working on recall with her but haven't had much luck, so we just try and prevent her from getting out as much as possible. We have a fenced yard and she never jumps or digs under the fence, but occasionally the front door will get left open and out she'll go!

The walker hound is interesting. He was very abused so he isn't very trusting wtih many people. He is very bonded to me and tries incredibly hard to please me, so I think he would be fine without a leash if I was around. However, I don't think he would stick around for just anyone. He doesn't dig or jump the fence. He thinks he's a big lap dog (all 75lbs of him) and I think he needs a farm.

Don't know if that really helps... but with our hounds we've found that a) Don't chase them when they get out and decide to run. Keep an eye on them but they will come back a lot sooner if they realize you aren't playing their game and b)They are incredibly smart, sometimes too smart.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Wow, thought this thread had run its course and hadn't checked! Thanks so much for all the input, advice and stories!

Randi is a pretty good girl and very smart. She is really pretty easy to live with and the training has been coming along (hers AND mine - ). The biggest problem is what most of you described - getting her attention when she's about something else. Great advice on that!

I think we will try the underground fencing. There are enough guarantees that these guys will try really hard to get it right and get her trained well. I know she can get a head of steam on, but she is both sensitive and smart too, so hopefully that will do it. We have a bunch of waterlines to run to the front fields, but will put this in as so as that is done. I'll let you all know if it works!

SCFarm

PS to JSwan - I'll be seeing the PHA Huntsman in a couple weeks and will ask him for advice too. Thanks!