The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Has it really been about two years since Tory Relic died?!
    She's the one I think of. My husband also has no idea about my COTH involvement. If he somehow found his way here, I wonder if he would find comfort? Perhaps it would be hard for him to realize how much of my life (the beasties) he chose not to participate in....
    Y'all ain't right!

That's really interesting.

We've had a few members pass away during my ten years on this BB and other than CatusKate - I didn't notice anyone really caring. Not really. Marie died tragically, poor thing - and few COTH'ers even bothered to post on her obituary site. But I do know her husband appreciated the emails and did enjoy reading her posts.

Seems like a waste of money to do formally, though. I certainly don't think Mr. JSwan would receive any solace from this BB should I pass away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    The question came up a few weeks ago on another BB about how would your BB social network, e.g., CotH, know if you passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    /what a macabre topic, but having written my first will before coming here to East Timor for three weeks, it's something we have to think about.

Yet, what it reminds of is when I first started visiting horsie BBs in the early 2000s. I can't remember the name of the BB. But there was a poster by the name of Reb's Uncle, or Reb something. He was a real "cowboy", wrote very accurately in "cowboy" lingo, right down to the grammar and spelling (like: no ma'am, I ain't no" whatever"). Knowing that people who speak colloquially usually write more or less property, I ribbed him a bit about probably being a college professor playing with the ladies on the BB. My God, did I get an earful from those ladies about questioning Reb's bona fides!

Well, then, Reb died. And another character called Reb's Neice or something showed up to tell everyone that Reb died in his chair. This caused a huge outpouring of emotion. Oh no! Poor Reb died! People wanted to send flowers, erect tombstones (the details are a bit vague, it was some time ago). But the Reb's Neice (or whatever) made some factual mistakes and that caused some suspicion that Reb weren't what he said he was. Some member of the BB did some investigating and, indeed, Reb didn't exist. His was a hoax. Of course, no one ever apologized to me about questioning him.

Ah, the internet.
    OMG, I remember that one.. What a freakin mess!

Nobody I don't know would care if I went kaput - and the ones in the Will will be notified.

Oh geeze, if I were to die nobody on here would know... the only way for word to get around would be my one facebook friend who is also on here, that's only if she checked my facebook and somehow realized I was dead. (Maybe real life friends would post on it or something) but honestly I don't think anyone would care.... lol.

i find it a bit morbid to post the topic
    as there are some people really ill and although the op thinks its might be a good idea
    i think not, those that are ill might find it hard to chew as no thoughts to them
    not something i would do, even as a topic i am in the mode of consider all people feelings on a touchy subject
    one thing everybody ownes is there bodies and mind up to them what they chose to do
    or decide thats why people have wills and power of enterny

Quote Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
    I don't think anyone here would notice if I were gone.
    Same here, no one would notice if I quit posting and some, if they did, would just be glad I am finally gone, no matter why.

Every time someone doesn't post, we don't worry if they died, but figure they were busy somewhere else.

Internet forums are not a place we have that kind of responsability to be there, as in real life, as a family member or in the work force or any other where we are obligated to be.
    That is the beauty of the internet forums, that we can be there or not, without feeling guilty.

Now, when someone is sick, that is different, as they may need help, if nothing else to try to help with a few words, maybe to get them by in a low moment.

Well said, about Tory Relic - Eqlaw. I hope it was a comfort to the husband, to have some more moments to savor about his wife, and to know she was missed. Myself, not so much, but there are those that have a real presence here and elsewhere, and it would be nice to know if they are gone forever or just missing in action. I do wonder when I havent heard or seen a regular in awhile... and am glad when they return.

[quote=AnotherRound;3948874]I have a codicil in my will wherein my attorney, upon my death, will activate a Bulletin Board Death Tree. This Death tree, much like the Phone Tree at my children's school, spreads the word of my death from Bulletin board to Bulletin board. Lets say, for example, I die. Who knew? Well, the 12 year old girls who found me in the middle of the old logging road in the state forest knew, after they dismounted and crouched over my stiff slightly grey body yelling "hey lady!", they knew, spesully when they nudged with their toe and I was stiff and they had to scream and they called their daddys on their own personal cell phone tree, jumped up on their horses, well, the one with the 13 hand pony did, the one with 17 hand OTTB had to find a stump to get back on, crying and calling out to her friend to wait, she had to find a stump, finally coming back to me and using the stump next to my dead head which I probably hit when I fell, which is why I am dead, and there she is, crying and howling for her friend to come back who of course has taken off because it is a DEAD body, and the 17 h OTTB mare is dancing around the stump in a circle, and has kicked me over two feet, which is really going to piss off the CSI when they get there. But I digress.

This 12 year old is actually part of the Death Tree because she is a member of the local pony club, which is tied into the Death Tree, along with the 4H, the Stony Creek Hounds and Bassetts Hunt and Polo Club, the Draft Pulling and Plowing society and the Headers and Heelers Roping Nights and Men's Chorus Bingo Association (HHRNMCB) The Stony Creek Fife and Drum Corps, and the well known local band, Second Hand Smoke, also members of the Stony Creek Fire Department and At Sea Rescue (SCFDASR) so when she called Deddy, he knows what to do. He calls 911. AND Bruce from HHRNMCB. Don't ask why Daddy and Bruce are Death Tree partners, but both of them know just what to do.

911 knows I am on the Death Tree, and while the 911 operator keeps the 12 yo on the 17h OTTB on the phone, and, worisomely enought, keeps her from leaving the Dead Body, talking to her all the while, and keeping her talking, which amounts to basically listening to her howls "Oh, my God, oh, my God I think its dead, its a dead body..." all that time murmuring soothing noises, the 911 operator is calling the Death Tree, which is tied into the interwebz. The Interwebz knows me. It goes straight to my IP address, and follows the cookies in my IE cache, and logs onto all my favorite webites automatically, using the passwords saved in my browser password files, and initiates an international web-wide Death Tree announcement:

URGENT!!

Another Round is DEAD!!!

Don't expect to read anymore posts from Another Round. IF you should see a post from Another Round dated after: ________fill the date in here _______ it is a scam!!! If you receive email from Another Round or any of her alters after _____fill the date in here_________ her email had been hacked into and it is a scam.

DO NOT OPEN ANY FURTHER EMAIL FROM Another Round or ANY OF HER ALTERS!!!!!!!!! IT IS A SCAM!!!!!! Even if it suggests you have received an inheritence from Another Round. If, however, you knew here really really well online, and used to send private messages to her from________insert BB name here_____________ or from ____insert other BB name here____ it might be real, so you can respond to those emails, they might be real messages from her Attorneys and You May Already Be a Winner!!!!.

Back to the Death Tree. After the funeral, AR's horses will need looking after, and, of course, her BO isn't going to want to do that, so there is a Board Tree which gets activated. This tree consists of all those people who know her and received jingles from her during moments of heatache and strife IRL on the Bulletin boards. These people are meant to contribute up to 100. US dollars each to maintain her horses, which can vary between 1 and 7 in number, you never know, and are payable to the BO who is claiming to maintain them, as reimbursement for feed and farrier visits, BNT training and showing to bring them up in the rankings of their chosen disciplines, such as eventing, and dresssaaaghe. If the BO decides to breed the OTTB mare, these contributions which will come in inperpetura (sic) will also cover the ehr, cover, for her breeding to a majikal friesian or gypsy vanner or espeshully a Draft Percheron stallion so she can fullfill AR's lifelong dreanms and make a majikal Draft X warmblood dressage baby. But I digress.

The last part of the Death Tree will be to the online BB friends of AR, who will learn of her death whilst nearly instantly recieving notice of the auction of her tack and personal horse items on Ebay. The proceeds from these sales will be contributed to the Horse Rescue of her choice, which is also on the Death Tree, so they will be anticpating the arrival of these funds intheir automatic Paypal account, set up with AR for Death benefits.

Thanks you and I hope you all have learned a valuable lesson about online Bulletin Board Death Trees.

AR/No More Rounds fo' you[/quote

That is Pulitzer prize winning writing. Tell me when you write the book I am buying it. I live and take chances everyday and can imagine a very dead me and some very surprised finders of the dead me when they come to ride their presumably live horses.
    My plans for the dogs are very succinct, as for anyone else I'M DEAD why would I worry ? The insurance policy is paid you all sort it out.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

It took quite a long time for CotH to learn that Regina Pony had died. I'm sure there are others like her who just disappear.

If I were die and just cease to post ever here, no one would even notice. I also have nobody here to start a Death Tree for me for the internet--but really, I'm not close to anyone on the internet either. Some day I shall die and that will be the end of me, both really and virtually.

Another Round, you're a genius. You should have added some Nigerian scammers to your scenario; after all, you do run a very famous training barn with international students who can solicit contributions after the death tree, etc are activated.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Viney - I would miss you and all your TB knowledge. Just call me a TB lover. You are not even an instigator!

Bluey, I think a lot of people would notice if you were gone. They might not miss you, but they'd notice.

Not me, though. Only one COTHer would know, and that's FatPalomino because I adopted a horse from her and he would have to return to her. I bet she's hoping I stay alive until after he passes now.

I know that we all think that most folks won't care (jazzrider, jazzrider who?), but when my brother died just over a year ago, my family and I found great comfort in the nice notes and comments people made about him. I googled his name occasionally (still do) and would find folks comments on his highschool alum page, etc. It made me happy to see him remembered well or even just mentioned.

So don't discount the value of remembrances here in virtual land, no matter how small. Some folks can find comfort in them...
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

I plan on haunting the -- oh excuse me, charming people in The Litter Box...

Just kidding. I hope if I have anything to do in the afterlife, it's something more worthwhile than that.

Default i used to worry about my mare's care after my death, but alas,

AR's post just put those worries to rest:

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post

Back to the Death Tree. After the funeral, AR's horses will need looking after, and, of course, her BO isn't going to want to do that, so there is a Board Tree which gets activated. This tree consists of all those people who know her and received jingles from her during moments of heatache and strife IRL on the Bulletin boards. These people are meant to contribute up to 100. US dollars each to maintain her horses, which can vary between 1 and 7 in number, you never know, and are payable to the BO who is claiming to maintain them, as reimbursement for feed and farrier visits, BNT training and showing to bring them up in the rankings of their chosen disciplines, such as eventing, and dresssaaaghe. If the BO decides to breed the OTTB mare, these contributions which will come in inperpetura (sic) will also cover the ehr, cover, for her breeding to a majikal friesian or gypsy vanner or espeshully a Draft Percheron stallion so she can fullfill AR's lifelong dreanms and make a majikal Draft X warmblood dressage baby. But I digress.

AR/No More Rounds fo' you
    now i can die peacefully. i'm also glad that i have not asked for jingles gratuitously in the past so that i don't have to worry about making too many of these contributions to others...
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique