The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I rode outside today FINALLY!!!!

After the most horrific winter I can remember suffering through (thank you Wisconsin), I was finally able to take a spin around the hay field at my boarding barn this morning. The ground is frozen, so we walked almost the entire time, but my gelding and I were both ecstatic!!! He managed to contain his enthusiasm (thankfully), but it was a very welcome sign of spring.

Anyone else come out of hibernation recently?

Me too... last week we rode outside, and today had a lesson outside. The ground was harder this week and my horse was a little stiff and out of shape, so we only did a little bit of canter, but it was fun to be out. (:

I'm going to be in Aiken, SC all of next week and will be riding outside every. single. day. I can't wait! I haven't ridden outside since mid-November.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Yesterday the temps reached 48-50º and after a good workout, took the green bomb out to the outdoor ring for the first time in 4-5 months! She was surprisingly quiet, the footing mucky muddy, but it was SO GOOD to feel sun on my face! We trotted a bit, but I didn't want to push my luck.

If anything set her off, I knew if I fell I'd be covered in (although soft) thick wet mud.

We've had a few 50° days where I have gone on road walks.

I ventured down to the half muddy half snowy field the other day.

My gelding welcomed this my jumping up in the air and squealing then pranced along the rest of the ride.

I think we're going to get outside this week! Whee! I know I'll get sucker punched by more snow but for now, who cares, it's going to be 50 today!
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

I'm so jealous. Our outdoor ring still has at least 3-5 feet of snow on it. Here's a picture of how much snow is left on our roofs!
    http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ryNumber=38197

I think I'm going to send you some jingles, Saultgirl. I'm so done with snow. I feel for you!
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Thanks. At least today is supposed to go up to about 5C (40F), and sunny, I'll enjoy this for now!

Although some intrepid ones went out on the road last weekend, today was my first time outside this year. The paddocks and rings are too icy to ride in but the gravel road is fine. My horse was a little snorty and looky for the first few yards (what, we have a donkey! where did that come from?) but soon settled down. The first Red-winged Blackbirds had arrived and the sun was warm on our faces and it was absolutely heavenly.

I'm soooo jealous!!! I haven't ridden since October I woulda started my horse back to work with some ground driving/lunging etc so I could start riding in about 2 weeks (not fair imo to ride without giving him a chance to muscle/cardio up a bit first) but the last week and a half, which was perfect for this start, was the first time I've been sick all winter season

I am feeling good enough as of late last night so I hit the treadmill for the first time in just over a week this AM. I'm gonna try to start working my guy this week a little but I almost hesitate to say it out loud...no doubt it'll start raining!!
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

I had my first lesson outside today too!

It was so wonderful; a bigger ring all to ourselves, decent footing, and fresh air.

Last weekend was warm but the ground was still hard and there were mud puddles everywhere.

I'm looking forward to more!

We also got outside today An absolutly glorious day it was

http://community.webshots.com/album/570542065xcrsHT

I'll be glad when all the yak hair is gone and I can figure out what shade of bay she'll be!
    *PPP Member*
    "Official" Couch Critic

I ventured outside today on this wonderful sunny warm day.

My horse was awfully sluggish in the indoor arena so I took a walk down the the field/ring down there.

My horse felt so good he couldn't stop hopping, prancing, squealing, you name it.

And that's how I ended up in the dirt.

I think he did some sort of rear-hop thing and that dislodged me.

He then ran around the field and up to the barn with his tail straight in the air. He certainly thought it was fun.

I worked him some more after that and he was able to walk around on a loose rein and so some poles so it ended up alright. We're going to venture down there again tomorrow.

I'm glad he decided to wake up and that there was a soft patch of dirt where I landed!