The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    What does the "naked" one look like?

Is it possible the order got mixed up and you got a Naked Neck by accident? They do look "naked" as their neck and chest are usually bare.

I ordered Speckled Sussex last year and got - well - I never did figure out what they were.
    She hasn't grown any real feathers (unlike the others) so just has the fuzzy bits around her belly and then bare wings, back and neck. She doesn't look too happy about the situation! Hopefully she is a Naked Neck and will survive the whole ordeal.

That's not a Naked Neck. That is an abnormal chick. Checks for signs of mites and cull if necessary.

A Naked Neck has a toupe of feathers on its head, a bare neck, and part of its chest is bare. The rest is feathered normally.

Sorry. I have a vet type book on chicken health if you'd like me to look up more information - or maybe you might have luck with a BB devoted to chickens. I think mybackyardchickens.com is pretty popular. Or is it mypetchickens.com. Something like that.

How do you cull a chick? Or a chicken, for that matter? I'm not the squeamish type, but don't really like the idea of having to off chickens on any sort of regular basis. If it must be done, so be it--but HOW?
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay
    How do you sex them as little chicks?
    Ugh, I watched the "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe on how to sex chicks....

No way!

QHEventer...if it's only a very little bit of water and near the heat lamp, they should be okay. If it's enough water that they can get their bodies completely submerged and splash around and get really soaked, I'd take it out until they get a few grownup feathers. Ducks can be very personable and they are fun to watch. I had a pair of Blue Campbell's that liked to do "aerial reconnaissance" around my entire property at the same time every morning. Unfortunately, the hawks learned their daily pattern and snatched 'em.

What has surprised me the most as far as personality are my turkeys. They actually prefer to hang around with us when we are outside and like follow us everywhere. When I get home from work and pull up the drive, the turkeys are right there to greet me. The horses have gotten so used to them that they don't flinch when they turkeys walk under them. My husband's mare is such a wuss she no longer bothers to chase them off her food so they have to be locked up at feeding time. Although, it is kind of funny to see this big old QH mare just standing there watching disdainfully as the two turkeys finish off her meal. We originally had four and butchered two at Thanksgiving. I don't think we'll be butchering the two remaining, they're just too friendly.

Deltawave, if it's still small it's quick and easy to break the neck. Larger ones (nearly full grown) take a little more to break the neck, but it's quick. I believe it is most humane to bleed them, which is what we do when we process ours. We cone them, slice an artery and let them bleed out.

That's not a Naked Neck. That is an abnormal chick. Checks for signs of mites and cull if necessary.

A Naked Neck has a toupe of feathers on its head, a bare neck, and part of its chest is bare. The rest is feathered normally.

Sorry. I have a vet type book on chicken health if you'd like me to look up more information - or maybe you might have luck with a BB devoted to chickens. I think mybackyardchickens.com is pretty popular. Or is it mypetchickens.com. Something like that.
    I am not sure which is worse - checking for mites or culling!!! Ok, JSwan tells us more about mites and culling. Oh wow, what a plesant weekend activity to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by OneDaySoon View Post
    I am not sure which is worse - checking for mites or culling!!! Ok, JSwan tells us more about mites and culling. Oh wow, what a plesant weekend activity to look forward to.
    At least you've never had to deal with pig lice.

Those things fight back when you try and kill them.

At least you've never had to deal with pig lice.

Those things fight back when you try and kill them.
    Yikes!!!!

Well we moved the 6 week old chicks to the hen coop (with their heat lamp) and the two mature hens are not exactly happy. Meanwhile the featherless chick is putting up a good fight to thrive. I couldn't see anything obvious (like mites) but clearly no feathers will be forthcoming. At this point he/she is half the weight of the other chicks.

How are everyone else's chicks coming along?