The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone else buy chicks or ducklings this Spring?

My husband just came home with 5 Bard Rocks and 3 Rhode Island Reds PLUS 4 little yellow ducklings I am hoping to raise the chicks to maturity and continue our organic farm raised eggs here. . I LOVE fresh eggs for Sunday breakfast!! I think hubby just thinks the ducks are cute
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

I have 2 RIR's, 1 barred rock, and 3 easter eggers, as well as two little ducks (one with an afro!). The chickens are about 2.5 months old, and the ducks maybe a month. We even got a little kiddie pool for the ducks and they LOVE it. Best $16 I've ever spent was the two ducks and a kiddie pool because they are just hilarious to watch.

I am waiting impatiently for them to start laying too. Especially the ducks. I've never had duck eggs but have heard they are very tasty.

Hi HB,

Aren't the little duckies just adorable? We have one left from last year and she is just a doll. . .still loves to dip and dive in the kiddie pool, though, mind you, there is a pond not more than 200feet away--she prefers the KIDDIE POOL!!! Funny, there was this special on PBS last night about chickens. ..geez, I guess I should write them and tell of my affliction (ducky attachment!)
    Willow Run Connemaras

I love the little chickies!!! However, someone told me that they are very messy, so i never got any. Do you keep your confined, or do they roam?

Got an order of 50 coming.

No ducklings, though. Not until I convince the gigantic snapping turtles in my pond to relocate.

I kept mine caged when they were very young, and while they were growing up we built a HUGE chicken pen. It wraps around my shed and has a roof for shade and then a big open area. They are finally out in there, as are the duckies. They are VERY messy because they poop wherever they want, and their poop STINKS. Now that they have the chicken pen though, its not bad. They are all but free-range in there, and they peck at the bugs and plants. I put two piles of old hay in there too, and they like to climb that.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Ours are on order for a little later. Pam is starting to hatch our own Araucanas this year.

It's way too early here, but I have my order in for 4 Buff Orpington pullets, as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.
    Click here before you buy.

Does anyone have any Barnevelder or Marans? Supposedly they lay dark brown eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    I love the little chickies!!! However, someone told me that they are very messy, so i never got any. Do you keep your confined, or do they roam?
    Hi Flash,

With the brand new little chicks, we keep them in a large dog crate which we have attached chicken wire to the outside to keep the little ones from escaping! We use a heat lamp when they are young and simply line the bottom with newspaper. It is relatively easy to clean up after the little ones as you just roll up the soiled paper and lay down some fresh. When they are older we let them roam freely around the yard. However, as chickens really do "come home to roost" we have an actual chicken coop that we built ourselves that also has an 8ft. fence around it to protect them at night from the coyotes When dusk comes they all march right into the coop and we just shut the door to the pen. Not so messy at all really as they spend most of their time around the yard. We get "free" gourmet fresh eggs PLUS they eat up all sorts of annoying insects all summer long I should add that a chicken coop doesn't have to be fancy at all and can usually be constructed in a few hours. Just remember to make little "cubbies" for each hen to lay her egg. You may also want to keep fresh straw in each cubby to help her feel at home and VOILA!
    Last edited by erinwillow; Mar. 15, 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Oh how I wish I could spell!
    Willow Run Connemaras

I want ducks! But the chickens are enough for us. I wouldn't know what to do with the ducks anyway since I don't like duck eggs

I'll get more chicks next year to replace the current hens.

FYI- I kept the chicks indoors until temps were steady outside, I used various sizes of rubbermaid containers to grow them in since it was easy to rig up lighting and cleanup was a breeze. Once they were a good size I moved them into a coop. Mine stay in a large coop- except every once in a while we'll let them wander the yard for a few hours. We voice trained them so it's easy to get them back in the coop

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Got an order of 50 coming.

No ducklings, though. Not until I convince the gigantic snapping turtles in my pond to relocate.
    What breed did you choose? Layers or??? I lofe chickens!
    Willow Run Connemaras

I bought:

Black Australorps
    Buff Orpingtons
    Ameracaunas
    Cuckoo Marans
    Salmon Faverolle - 5 toes!!!!

I wanted more rare/endangered breeds but as usual I wait too late to order. I buy straight run utility fowl for meat and eggs.

Talking Got mine already!

We just received our order of Red Star Sex Link hens (26) a month early!! Don't know why the mixup but the little red fluff balls are now in my kitchen with a heat lamp. Lotsa peeping & pooping. Found one sleeping on top of the water feeder last night (all alone, the eagle has landed!!). They look dead sometimes. One fell asleep with her beak on the rim of the waterer. Hard to believe they come in the mail from Texas. They are 6 days old and already have their wing feathers. SOOOOOOO cute!!! I like when they stretch the best. Little black eyes look up at you......OMG I am soooo smitten!

The cats & basset just look at them then me & ask....why?!!!

Our order is due to arrive the day after Easter! It will contain 20 chicks: 10Old English Game Bantams (5 Wheaten and 5 Splash), 5 Japenese Bantams (Black) and 5 Buff Orpington Bantams. We haven't had to order chicks in several years because we have had some great "brood-hens" that hatched out their own...but now we have a small flock of Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantams that are all related...and we don't want inbred chicks. We do have a lone Golden Sebrite hen who is an amazing mother but the rooster isn't interested in her that way and I'm not too sure that the cross would be very attractive...

I am! We are ordering more Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and expanding our chickens to Mille Fleur d'uccles and Black-tailed White Japanese Bantams. I show chickens in the winter and eairly spring, it's so much fun!!
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

I'm getting 5 Turkeys on Saturday! Maybe some more chickens but not sure on that yet

Default Chicks in the Mail!

I have three chicks (pullets) on order for delivery the week of April 13 - one buff orpington, one easter egger and one plymouth rock barred. I actually live in a very urban part of Los Angeles, but our zoning permits chickens - go figure! I'm very excited, but also a little nervous as I have NO experience with this sort of thing. We have an Eglu, all set up and ready to go, and I plan to house them in a large cardboard box in our workout / storage room until they can go outside. I've been reading all the chicken threads on here and trying to get as much info as I can. Any helpful tips appreciated!

Whoa - they MAIL LIVE CHICKENS???? Please elaborate!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Whoa - they MAIL LIVE CHICKENS???? Please elaborate!
    Yes.

And it's polite to pick them up from the Post Office as soon as they call. A few chicks sound cute - hundreds of them just give the poor staff a headache!
    (plus you have to get them under lamps asap)