Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I bid and was outbid. His papers are no where to be found and the school has had no luck finding the former owner. I called and emailed back and forth with Dr. Porr. If someone here knows the former owner, that's great and maybe can get help replacing the papers. He wasn't donated, but leased. I just found out that she and her husband were divorced many years ago.. so it could be a chore finding her. Good news that there are some here that might be able to find out more.

Sorry you were outbid.

If this was a lease and there are no papers, how can a buyer be assured of having clear title to the horse? Are you saying that the horse was not actually donated to Tech, but just leased and ownership retained?

Thanks for any background info you can provide.

The contract stated that in the event the owner was not located the horse would be sold. There is a clear title as there were contracts. If not for the contract the horse would be adopted out like the rest of them and not sold at auction.
    Some of these horses were on free lease from Feed companies others owners wanted more control over the end of they horses. If you donate a horse the university can do what ever they want including sales. If you lease you can limit what projects the horse is used in and where it ends up.

Talked to the Vet and she said he is sound but not sound enough for the intended use. So way up from pasture puff. He is probably sound enough for most uses but longer endurance riding.

He was retired for reason that with hindsight could be explained by IR. But back then who knew about IR?

Nobody has seen the owner in 4 years--even her close then friends.

I could push my friend just a little harder, but then if anything goes wrong for the next 15 years it would be my fault.

He is on no danger of a bad fate, but IMHO has been upgraded from rescue to very very good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by smilton View Post
    The contract stated that in the event the owner was not located the horse would be sold. There is a clear title as there were contracts. If not for the contract the horse would be adopted out like the rest of them and not sold at auction.

Which explains why only one horse is listed for auction.

[QUOTE=smilton;3952044]The contract stated that in the event the owner was not located the horse would be sold. [/QUOTE

Thanks for the clarification.

Last time I checked the price was at 260$.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    He was retired for reason that with hindsight could be explained by IR. But back then who knew about IR?
    Not sure what you mean by this. IR is not a disease and unless the horse has previously foundered it should not be much of a consideration. I'll bet the vast majority of older Arabs are IR to some degree. Appropriate diet and lots of excercise are really all that's needed to managing these horses. Now if he suffers from chronic laminitis and that's the cause of him being less than sound we're talking a whole 'nother story.

Hope he gets a good home.

PS: KARADJORDJE+++ is misspelled on the posted all breed pedigree query.

I have no idea. I just read posts that horses can be ouchy and look footsore or off when they have IR and are not managed correctly.

If he had what he was retired for having he would not be sound now. They say he is sound. The Vet actually said she didn't know, but people that worked with him said he was always sound in the study.

So he was pasture puff lame, got to the research place and got sounder in an IR study. He is now sound enough that the researchers do not see any lameness.

But nobody knows how sound he is or isn't and this thread started with the premise he is guaranteed sound. Which he is not, although he may or may not be sound.

I doubt anyone has taken x-rays or worked him very hard. But he is clearly sounder then pasture puff and has been for some time.

I watched him gallop around like an idiot after being in a stall for 30 days for a study and didn't see any issue. There were several others who did have some odd gaits but Ticket looked fine.

Talked to the Vet and she said he is sound but not sound enough for the intended use. So way up from pasture puff. He is probably sound enough for most uses but longer endurance riding.

Nobody has seen the owner in 4 years--even her close then friends.

I could push my friend just a little harder, but then if anything goes wrong for the next 15 years it would be my fault.

He is on no danger of a bad fate, but IMHO has been upgraded from rescue to very very good deal!

All good news, that he's likely sound for most uses and "is in no danger of a bad fate." Whew!

Glad the bidding's up, too. I wish I could have gotten him, I'd love a quiet, sane one I could just get on and not worry about. And I have all small horse/pony types that I manage as if they are IR, so that's no biggie to me!

This horse is posted on multiple BBs and rescue sites including Fugly. I imagine the publicity has many people bidding against each other all with the intention of saving him.

Do you have information on that ("that he is in no danger..")

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Do you have information on that ("that he is in no danger..")
    That is what the Vet said. I have no idea if it is true or not. I just thought once his price or reserve was above killer prices he was in no danger. But of course he could be bought by anybody and they could dump him next week if he doesn't suit.

I assumed the Vet was telling the truth, but they had many calls in the last few days so who knows? I doubt they want him to be in danger, but I guess we'll find out.

If he gets bought and he still needs a home and he is sound he may have a home with hisaraitsme.

Dr. Porr responded in one note that she felt he was going to end up fine according to all the calls she'd had lately. I guess they sounded good. I saw he hit about $500, but they took it down after the end and I wasn't watching the last 10 minutes. I bid on him, but certainly have plenty of horses. I didn't want him to end up bad and I don't have a really good trail horse and I was afraid his age would put people off.

He ended up going for $510 with 31 or 32 bids. I watched until the very end, and then they took it off the website.

Quote Originally Posted by StefffiC View Post
    I bid on him, but only because I know him and want him to find a good home. I have a retired IR pony, a cushings horse, and a nutty gelding I ride, like Chardave said I don't need another mouth to feed. Just wanted him above kill buyer price.
    Yea, but I'm an enabler for you I'm afraid. Glad you were outbid, for your pocket books sake! Although this one would probably be cheaper than any of the ones you have, well except Runner, but he's a bit, off? LOL!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Yea, but I'm an enabler for you I'm afraid. Glad you were outbid, for your pocket books sake! Although this one would probably be cheaper than any of the ones you have, well except Runner, but he's a bit, off? LOL!
    Runner is the cheapest horse I've ever owned, and the most expensive, over priced horse I ever bought.

I have a soft spot for older animals that need homes. hence the reason I adopted two late teens cats recently. Older or badly abused and I feel a need to take them home with me. Heck, I have 9 empty stalls at home, surely he'd never notice me bringing in another horse.

I'm glad he got purchased at a good price to hopefully a good home.

Steph

For the record, I'm not a vet. I have a PhD in equine nutrition and exercise physiology.

I appreciate the tenor of this thread very much and I want to thank those people who took the time to contact me before flaming myself, Virginia Tech, or the MARE Center. Well, not that you flamed me afterward...but you know what I mean!

I realize that selling Ticket through a government surplus website is odd and atypical, and it's not how we usually handle horses we're looking to place elsewhere (someone noted we only had one horse up...yes, that's why). You guys have some of the details here already, so I won't go into them again. I had over 30 phone calls asking about his health and potential use and I was honest in my responses. Some people wanted him for young kids, and I couldn't recommend that simply because he hasn't been ridden in years. One woman wanted him for endurance riding immediately, but we came to the conclusion that he probably wasn't suited for that (unfit currently and potential lameness issues from the past, though no lameness since being in our program). I also couldn't say why he was leased to us. I could, however, give information on his activities, health care, health and behavior since he was with us.

And as a note to those who flamed me about his going to the KB's...I have to wonder how many KB's are going to buy the horse (one horse) and then come to Northern Virginia to pick him up in this economy. Maybe I'm naive, but I think we were better off with this route than taking him to the local livestock auction.

Anyway, thank you for encouraging people to bid on him and for not assuming we're doing something evil in this. I, too, hope he goes to a good home.

EDIT: The winning bidder contacted me and asked a number of questions about his past use and potential future. We're in contact with them now.

Shea

Dr. Shea Porr
    Superintendent, MARE Center
    Middleburg, VA
    Last edited by Va_Horse_Extension; Mar. 17, 2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Update

Dr. Porr -

I'm sorry that some people took exception to the decision to auction this horse. It's pretty obvious that a kill buyer would not waste his/her time by bidding on one animal when there are dozens to be had, for less expense and effort, at any auction in the US. Your method of selling Ticket is also perfectly appropriate.

The MARE center has an excellent reputation and from what I have seen, is operated by very well qualified ethical people. We're fortunate to have such a great facility in this area.

Congratulations to the new owner of this horse - and happy trails to Ticket.