The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default JSwan ... LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    My Shepherd mix showed tremendous power and lovely impulsion when he met the pigs for the first time.

Actually, the pigs showed a lot of impulsion too. But in the opposite direction.

The horses showed incredible suspension, brilliance and a passable piaffe and passage considering they were trying to run towards, run away from, and stare at the pigs all at the same time.

That is quite an image. Thank you for the laugh.

Both the corgis have fabulous hunter trots, but the female always canters with "haunches in." Of course, at a dead run, she's goes as straight as a laser-guided missile!
    "If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around." –Will Rogers

OMG I do this all the time My Pittie/ Border Collie mix is a super nice mover. Would be a fantastic dressage dog, or could be a nice jumper- has a lot of scope. My parent's mutt (who knows what that dog is) would be a really nice dressage dog, also- he has a great toe flick. He is a good jumper, also, but not quite as stylish as my dog He toes out, but it doesn't seem to affect his movement. My parent's other dog waddles, so can't say much about his movement. He would be like the know it all lesson pony who won't move and gets grumpus when asked!
    The cat, named Maggie but called Piggie, Piglet, Fat Cat, etc. etc. usually doesn't get above a walk.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

The hound mix, Truman, has a lovely trot with enormous stride length. He also has a fairly uphill canter. I've not seen him pace. He jumps fairly well but has lots of hang time, and he's quite a pansy ... no scary ironing-board jumps for him. So if you could get him around, you might get a ribbon, but otherwise you may as well just model and hack.

The pit/lab/? mix would not get a piece of the hack, for sure, but he's moving better behind now that he's started on his canine Hylasport. He is quite scopey over fences (both real and imaginary) and has lots of impulsion when sufficiently motivated. He also has quite the reining spin on him, which constantly confounds the hound during their games of tag.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

My lab has lovely form over fences. Better than my one my horse unfortunately.

Great flying changes too!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I was just thinking about this the other day.. I have a German Shorthaired Pointer who I think would make a lovely dressage dog. Lovely extended trot, does tempi changes, can extend and collect beautifully is very light on his feet...

My 4 month old Standard Poodle puppy on the underhand...weeeeeeelllllll lets just say he's ...... special Not sure how I would classify his movment yet, he's still a gangly yearling tripping over his own feet but he sure is cute.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

My shepherd-husky mix, who passed away suddenly last week , was a beautiful mover and I loved to watch her--wish I had a video. She had a really swinging, sashaying walk, a low ground-covering huntery trot and could really move out at the canter--so I guess a good TB type.

The most interesting feature about her gait was the way she picked up her front legs when she was running through snow--which I think is characteristic of huskies and wolves.

The boxer pup, Delilah, would definitely be a fancy imported Warmblood, extremely uphill build and quite the extended trot. Alas, we haven't found her canter yet, merely her 'Tigger', she BOUNCES everywhere! Also is proficient in 'The Kidney Bean' when something is so exciting she can't decide if she wants to run or wiggle back and forth, so compromises and does both

Onelanerode, LOVE the "Invisible Cape" picture! That would be a cool show name for a pony too!

my daughter shows in the small pony hunter division. She always says our poodle would win the hack, he FLOATS across the ground!

I'm fielding a team for the Special Olympics.

My two dogs both run on 3 legs. My tiny Pom mix has a broken LF (healed with big deficit -- before I found him) and is built as downhill as a modern QH. My other dog, a terrier/llhasa mix, has a bad RH so runs on the other 3.

Then I have a cat with cerebellar hypoplasia so she walks like a drunk, runs sideways like a crab, and can't jump or climb. My other cat has no evidence of having legs at all. Despite all efforts to control his diet, he is ginormous, supremely lazy and needs an intervention for his catnip addiction. In terms of movement, he shifts sleeping positions very, very fluidly and never develops bedsores -- can you infer the quality of a cat's gaits from how he sleeps?

No, if there was a doggy hack class I don't think I'd even enter poor Riley. He prefers to prance around with his head up in the air and far too much knee movement.

Of course, it's not really his fault....it's hard to move nicely when you're a Lab/Corgi/Chow hybrid. Corgi legs have a hard time being elegant when attached to a Lab body. Plus, he's knock-kneed up front and toes out like nobody's business (one goes east, one goes west). He's also cow-hocked. Poor goofy looking critter.

Default OF COURSE HE IS!

Mine's a German Warmblood...um Shepherd and he's a better mover than some of my horses.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault. And you know what, even if you have an excuse, shut up."
    Bruce Davidson, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Corgi legs have a hard time being elegant when attached to a Lab body.
    Isn't that pretty much a normal Corgi? Big body on short, short legs?
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault. And you know what, even if you have an excuse, shut up."
    Bruce Davidson, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiliath View Post
    Any dog that paces, except for a handful of very specific breeds, has a problem. If the dog paces while off leash (not being restricted in any way) and not of the specific breeds that pace, he should be looked at by a chiropractor because something is wrong.

For further information on this go to www.whole-dog-journal.com and search their archives for the appropriate article.
    I didn't read the entire article, but the headline reads "If a dog begins pacing late in life, it may be a sign of spinal problems." So I wouldn't assume it means anything if your dog paces; could just be their preferred gait.

My 12 year old brittany has always paced when he's not "moving out". We call it his "mosey." He is an AKC champion and OFA good, so no reason to suspect his gait is abnormal. It's not uncommon for brittanys to pace in the show ring because they have long legs (for their body length) to allow for great "reach and drive"...if you don't start them out fast enough they may be too fast for walking and not enough speed to trot. My old brit's best pace is his double suspension gallop...talk about reach and drive! He'd definitely be a good eventer - very agile and can go up, over and through anything. Not really *pretty* per se, but boy can he cover ground!

My younger brittany (who is NOT a show dog, despite being bred to be one!) is not pretty to watch but he's sound as the day is long. He could trot comfortably all day and not get out of breath. He'd be a great carriage pony.

I've had only Dobermans.

My black male was a dressage horse and nothing else (try to get him to jump and he'd look at you like "are you serious??). Beautiful and elegant.

My red male was a total eventer; point him at anything and he'd jump it. I have literally taken him on a cross country course and he jumped everything...even ran through the water.

My current blue female...well I haven't decided what she is yet (she just turned 1 year). She is THE MOST athletic dog I have owned. She runs fast as the wind, jumps, hops, twists in the air...anything!
    She has a beautiful heel position...but is hopping up and down looking up at me all the while!
    She does pace when in between walk/trot and she will canter with haunches in. She also counter canters a lot...does anyone else notice this? She's hardly ever on the same lead front & back. Maybe just puppy gangliness still?

My German Shorthair Pointer has perfect equitation at the backwards trot, absolutely straight, engaged and rythmic. She personally perfected this in order to stay in front of the walking feed bucket holder (me) yet be able to reach for an offered chunk of horse feed without breaking stride. Her other talent is stable hand; once turnout is done she hoovers below every feed-bin and then stands on hinds to hoover the disappointly empty inside - would that make her a classical dressage dog too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    The Giant Schnauzer would be the warmblood or TBx of the bunch.
    My Giant is the same exact way. She's a very warmbloody mover. She would get a piece of the hack in good company.
    Smileys, the internet's botox