The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My yorkie and my chihuahua both have perfect hunter pony movement, lol.

What great timing for this thread!!! I came in the house at lunch time after being out in the show ring resetting jumps and told my husband that it was a shame our Great Pyrennes was not a horse!!! He would have been an Irish Sport Pyrennes!! All I have to do when I'm near jumps is point and tell him to "jump"!!! He's wild!! Fabulous scope and power, but agile and with speed to burn!!! I always thought he would be a great jumper or foxhunter...not fancy enough for dressage or hunters! We also have a male, German-bred German Shepherd - all I can say about him is WOW!! He would be an Olympic level eventer. He's a 10+ mover, fabulous extensions and suspension and fast as a bullet. He would clean up in dressage and go all the way in the jumping. Then there's the Border Collie/Jack Russell cross - aptly named "Cutter" - quick and smart. The female German Shepherd would be a trail horse...no speed, not willing to jump and barely an "ok" mover. The Pappillon mix would be a lead line pony - good mover but really short!! Thinks she's a flat track racer until you notice she's not really going anywhere!! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks silly thoughts!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Two of our 5 dogs are so short, that it's hard to say how they move--they just do... The Corgi either walks or runs, and I'm so distracted by his constant calling (barking) that any judge would mark him down. The Cavalier?Mix is hunter pony cute, but we'd have to remove all his feathers to see his legs in action.

Now, the Schnoodle, he's a dressage horse if ever there was one--athletic, good hock action, nice extension, and honestly, the cute upright tail wagging is just over the top.

The Aussie is clearly the reining horse of the bunch--low, quick, good stops and fast. Does show some jump, so perhaps the jumpers too.

Bert... well, Bert is probably Irish Wolfhound and Lab and despite being built downhill, he's a good mover. He too, will pace if the trot gets too slow, and his canter is not one I'd like to ride. He's a nice character, but busy with his mouth. Would a judge count off if you carry something with you all times, in your mouth??

Cats? Elegant, definitely dressage divas (what is the name for a male diva??), except for Pooh, who waddles. She's the enormously fat mare who only moves faster than a walk if food is involved. The boys (both flame points) are jumpers who occasionally take rails because they're young and easily distracted.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Our farm dogs are nothing special but our top Stud dog is so far the only one in his breed to score a perfect 100 on his Evaluation and has the movement to show for it.

His page has a video. That's my wife Pam in Purple showing him.

http://www.starbornhavanese.com/Poshpage.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    My old Dalmatian was a fabulous mover. Of course he was a fabulous show dog also. He really was poetry and symmetry in motion. My old JRT was a horrible mover, paddled, hopped, swung but she was amazingly efficient. i couldn't figure out how that conformation let her move as quickly as she did. My current BT is a good mover with good reach through the shoulder but is a little cowhocked. I have to laugh as the dog breeders act like I don't know movement.... I guess they don't realize that horse people in dressage and eventing are all about good movers and what is good in a horse isn't so different in a dog other than breed type.

There's nothing more graceful than a dalmatian trotting or running.....well, unless they trip and do a nose dive in the dirt.

True story.....Lady was watching her group play in the backyard...and watched in horror as the new co-owned youngster....running full blast, while looking back at his chaser...ran smack into a tree and broke his leg.

My purebred dalmatian...would be a verstile horse.....jumping, eventing (put a deer in front of him and he'll clear any obstacle), dressage....he can piaffe. Would never do Western, that'd be too dull.

My dal/pointer mix....she is my pacer, so she would have to be a Standardbred...but would probably prefer to be a trail horse

My golden/shepherd.....Racer....put a form of wildlife in front of her...she hunkers down and takes off full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiliath View Post
    Any dog that paces, except for a handful of very specific breeds, has a problem. If the dog paces while off leash (not being restricted in any way) and not of the specific breeds that pace, he should be looked at by a chiropractor because something is wrong.

For further information on this go to www.whole-dog-journal.com and search their archives for the appropriate article.
    Youre right.....I've had two with hip problems and both have paced. Unfortuantely, nothing I've ever done...ie, adequan, chiro, accupunture, etc has done anything to fix it. My current pacer does it at the walk, but I don't notice it at the trot. But, like the last dog that paced....her backend does not move freely as my other two dogs do. She was a pound rescue, so I do not know anything about her history.

My parents 17yo JRT always had a peculiar pace. It was more up and down then forward. We always said she moved like a Tennessee Walker They have 2 other JRT that move normal (whatever normal is when speaking of a JRT)

Oh Yesss! Our greyhounds are a sight to see running huge circles in the field, as a pair like birds on the wing. The one bobs her head and they both stop at an almost invisible signal.
    When she if feeling foolish - like asking to go out - she pasages around like a showhorse.
    Quite beautiful they are...and loving, too.

I can't believe I forgot this. If I say "Walk?" to the current dog and then do something selfish and ridiculous like try to put on my coat first, she begins to perform caprioles to get my attention. Ever try putting on a coat while having a 50lb dog flying past your chest, her head turned anxiously so she's staring directly and deeply into your eyes? If I persevere in this mad human folly of delay, she decides I have't gotten the message and she climbs onto the couch so she can capriole past my face. My little Lipizzaner... Terrible levade, though - long back.

This is so funny. I have two Briards. One who is an FEI dressage horse for sure and the other is a hunter. So graceful unless they happen to run into a tree...
    Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
    http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a

My female GSP is a fancy fancy mover. If she was papered and had her tail docked, she would be cleaning up in the dog shows.

The male who is still a pup and clumbsy is an ok mover. I suspect once he stops growing he will move better.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

My one cat is a nice move both trot and canter. She stays straight through her body.

My other cat is more like a draft and stays at a slow pace.

The few JRT I have had were really nice movers!

My mom's cat is an awesome mover.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Too funny - I was just saying to my husband yesterday that our cats have lousy conformation and are bad movers lol! My Prissy is fat and has a choppy stride (she's short backed for a cat), and Sylvester is huge and really cowhocked - he looks funny at the walk. Peaches and Oscar are good movers, but Peapod has a bad back and is always very crooked - doing haunches in all the time.

For my dogs, I have a pacer, but she has a torm ACL and is going to get the surgery for that (she's a Chessie and this will be her 2nd surgery).

My Corgi is just too cute, and actually has a nice trot.

The best mover of the crew is Shadow, our lab/hound mix - she can go all day at the same metronome balanced trot. I look at her in envy as she moves so darn effortlessly. She is FAST too.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiliath View Post
    Any dog that paces, except for a handful of very specific breeds, has a problem. If the dog paces while off leash (not being restricted in any way) and not of the specific breeds that pace, he should be looked at by a chiropractor because something is wrong.

For further information on this go to www.whole-dog-journal.com and search their archives for the appropriate article.
    My Dobie paces and at 8yo and a lot of miles on him has never taken a bad step. He is all legs and it is his inbetween trot and walk gate. He isn't as pretty at the trot as our stocky little female Dobe...she is stunning...but his gallop is un-real!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Girl Dog - should be a show dog Free in the shoulder, tracks straight, doesn't wing or paddle, straight as an arrow. When tired though, she will pace

Boy Dog - well.... Paces a lot. Drives me NUTS. He wings too He doesn't track straight either - hind end is always cocked to the side at the trot/pace. Straightens at the canter

Kitties? Well, barn kitty is perfect! She's a Show Hunter if there ever was one! Inside kitties are all over the place. Some are very stiff in the SI, and the hind legs swing wide at the trot. Some are much better, but not perfect.

Default Great Thread

Our 'found' Springer, Lucy, took Mr Fooler's breath away as she trotted across the field. She is steady, straight & her back is flat & soft. Of course if she as done something wrong. . . she trots up with her head slightly down & in a haunches in position. She is seldom still, mostly she bounces, runs or runs & then dives to the ground for a good roll.
    Now she is one of the fastest dogs we have every seen. She loves to chase deer and birds-most anything that moves. We found out how fast she is and why we/she found each other - when we fired off a pistol. She flew - immediately back to her pen.

Outside cats:
    HeyCat is typical cool feline - very correct and can jump/go anywhere - Show Hunter
    Baggy has always had a hitch in his getalong. It hasn't slowed him down tho.
    Spartan walks like a drunk, it is very lateral. He reminds me of the the Pink Panther cartoon kitty. But he can run or jump anywhere. He is quite the hunter and sometimes stares at the deer as if he is a leopard or lion on the Serengeti. . . .
    Garbo runs like another poster's cat - the front paws are 'together', but the hind legs go on either side.

Inside kitties (Callie & Edwina) have slowed abit at 16. But both moved very well when younger tho the Bud music fit Edwina's was of going quite well. Callie is more typical feline cool
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Our rat terrier moves like a hackney pony when leashed-a lot of front suspension. The pit is more of heavy moving cutting horse.

Default That's it!

My Dobie paces and at 8yo and a lot of miles on him has never taken a bad step. He is all legs and it is his inbetween trot and walk gate.
    I have an Aussie that does the exact same thing! At a slow walk she's normal, at a trot she's normal but at a quick walk she paces. Otherwise, she races all over the place trying to get her sister to chase her. She slips into their weird pacing gate sometimes, usually when I'm getting ready to feed and she doesn't want to get too far from me but is ready for dinner. At her last vet appointment, the vet commented that he wished all dogs her age when is as good condition. (she has just turned 9)
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

My Shepherd mix showed tremendous power and lovely impulsion when he met the pigs for the first time.

Actually, the pigs showed a lot of impulsion too. But in the opposite direction.

The horses showed incredible suspension, brilliance and a passable piaffe and passage considering they were trying to run towards, run away from, and stare at the pigs all at the same time.

Thumbs up

I have an italian greyhound that moves like a hackney pony (to the point that she will park out (right term?) while sniffing for something in the air. We also think, however, that she is part penguin due to her fishy breath. I've never seen a hackney penguin, but i'm sure the stick art gurus could have a field day!

My Chihuahua/JRT mix is a perfect hunter. No bend in his knees whatsoever. Come to think of it, does he even have knees?!

Fun topic. Thanks!