The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Your Farm Dog A Good Mover?

Watching my dogs running next to the golf cart today.

The Big White Hairy Dog actually PACES! He is the Standardbred of dogs, I guess. My little black chow/lab/? mix is an ok mover for dressage but too much knee action for the hunters.. and my Border Collie is like a cutting horse - sit down and turn, then go! Go fast!

Yours?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Greyhound/lab mix...I always think of him as looking rather like a thoroughbred. He doesn't have a huge stride at the trot, but he can stretch out and run!

My barn cats both have a real problem with cantering crooked - haunches in.

My house cat plods like a draft horse and rarely gets above a walk.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

My rescued Springer, Miss Freckles we play the Budwieser theme for....dum dum dum...here comes the, well you get it.

My rescued Brittany is on three legs. He is a very good mover, given that!

And Valentine, my other Springer, is a LOFFLY mover. Very correct, with good suspension and loft!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Good question.

My aussie of long ago, one of my dobies and all border collies have been poetry in motion, moving correctly, fluid, athletic and light.

The italian greyhound had too much high knee action and noticeable poor extensions.

The rottie, well, she wobbled, but worked cattle, at her pace, with great wisdom, making for her less than athletic talents.
    She could find and pen sick calves, driving them thru several bunches and coming out the other end still with the few right calves she was driving, without picking up extras or losing the ones we wanted.
    That ability made up for her not being athletic enough to get around a larger herd.

My current little rat terrier moved off since I got her at 12 weeks old.
    She has a bad hock all her life, mostly carries that leg.
    Vet said there was probably a torn ligament there, but it was too risky to do exploratory surgery and may not find a cause or resolve it if it was found.
    We confined, did theraphy, medicated to no avail.
    She also has light seizures, controlled with medication, is in at the elbows and is cowhocked to boot.
    She would not pass a vet exam, but her hitch in her get along is immaterial for us.
    She was supposed to be my next agility dog, but is now "just" a good pickup, lap and bed warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddys Mom View Post
    My barn cats both have a real problem with cantering crooked - haunches in.
    snort! My cat does this except it like a ifferent kind of 3 track -the two front and then the two hind together off to the side at the same time!

My old Dalmatian was a fabulous mover. Of course he was a fabulous show dog also. He really was poetry and symmetry in motion. My old JRT was a horrible mover, paddled, hopped, swung but she was amazingly efficient. i couldn't figure out how that conformation let her move as quickly as she did. My current BT is a good mover with good reach through the shoulder but is a little cowhocked. I have to laugh as the dog breeders act like I don't know movement.... I guess they don't realize that horse people in dressage and eventing are all about good movers and what is good in a horse isn't so different in a dog other than breed type.

I have a Jack Russell that trots and canters with absolutely no bend to her knee, just sticks her legs straight out! It's really cute to watch.

My JRT used to have the bounciest trot and she could canter at any speed -- including snail's pace, and made it look easy. Very cute one tempi changes too.

My 2 outdoor cats move -- well, like cats. Prissy fairly floats along, and they're both very talented jumpers.

My indoor cat -- she's beautiful to look at but I'd have to give her no more than 5s for movement, maybe 4s. She's a leadbutt too. She can't even jump onto the counters.

I would love to be able to ride my smooth collie's trot! He has a lot of extension and beautiful action. His canter... well, let's just say he's a little stiff behind, but that could be because he's 9 years old. He's on Adequan, but could probably use some more serious joint therapy if he was a riding dog

My English Setter is a lovely mover, when you can actually see her moving that is. She's more like a white blur as she goes by. Very fast, very athletic and very efficient. She can turn and burn and jump! Steeplechaser, eventer, barrel racer and working cow all in one.

I have very few pics of her w/ all four feet on the ground. You gotta be fast to take her pic. Now if she's on point, that's a little easier, but I'm never close enough to her for that to happen. She hasn't gone to gun dog training school yet.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

My Ridgebacks are lovely, hunter-type movers, but were bred for it. One used to show and the other is a pet puppy from a show litter. Her only issue is a bad bite and too much white.

EqTrainer, your pacing dog might trot at a different pace. When I walk my dogs in the evenings, I aim for both dogs trotting. Riana paces until about 3 mi/hour, but Koa won't trot until I get closer to 4. I have to really be moving to get her into a trot. Also, fatigued dogs will pace rather than trot.

we have two dogs teh first one is a Toy Fox Terrier, he has the cutest trot! he doesnt bend hid knees he just puts them straight out, great extended trot. and our Min Pin is like a TB, she has a long stride both trotting and cantering. the TFT is like a barrel racer vs. a TB (min pin) when they chase each other the TB wins but the barrel racer is smart enough to make lots of fast sharp turns that the TB cant do. its hilarious!

The only dog I had with beautiful movement was the only purebred; the Beardie had a flowing run. The husky/terrier mix bounded like a deer - all four together, LEAP, land, LEAP, land. She had very straight legs with a short back. Choppy gaits, but could climb trees and fences and trot on forever. The border/beardie mix belts around, all hind end suspension, can trip over her front. When she was young and superfast, she looked like half a dog - back legs tucked under for maximum thrust. Did great rollbacks, usually when I was trying to catch her She definitely throws her hips to one side when she trots, very uneven.

I have an eventer with a serious straightness issue. The other one is still young and I am not sure yet where he'll end up.

My GSD/Dobie mix is a distance eventer and the jump on that thing? She jumps in the box of the truck, with the tailgate closed, from a standstill! Tons of scope and very long fluid and efficient gaits. Either galopping or trotting. She probably would be very talented in the dressage phase as well, she can collect pretty good and those pirouettes are very nice!

The little guy (Rottie/Dobie mix) is growing up as a solid type with apparently good scope but at this stage his gaits are all too disorganized to be yet conclusive of anything. He needs to grow into those legs!!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Any dog that paces, except for a handful of very specific breeds, has a problem. If the dog paces while off leash (not being restricted in any way) and not of the specific breeds that pace, he should be looked at by a chiropractor because something is wrong.

For further information on this go to www.whole-dog-journal.com and search their archives for the appropriate article.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I thought I was the only one who looked at movement in my dogs like that!!

My Abash was one of the most beautiful movers with a long, low stride. She literally floated across the field.
    My Czech shepherd also had a long, low stride, but not the same finesse as the Akbash.
    The Central Asian was kind of like a draftxQH, heavy built and a bit of a clunky mover, but smooth.
    The fila would be the gaited one with the pace (it is a fault if they do not pace), but was oh, so extremely light on the feet and more agile than it looked.
    The Giant Schnauzer would be the warmblood or TBx of the bunch.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

My lab mix is an okay mover, and can jump the crap out of a stall door! Her jumping ability is amazing.

My husky is actually a nice mover. He'd be like a fancy TB or nice-moving WB.

My Jack Russell would have been like a very fancy pony!!
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Cute thread. Yes! My Belgian Tervuen could win in the ring as a show hunter with her daisy-cutter movement...but then, her suspension,floaty way of going and toe flicking might make her a very fancy dressage mover (wink!). She's really breathtaking and so darned elastic. A blast to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiliath View Post
    Any dog that paces, except for a handful of very specific breeds, has a problem. If the dog paces while off leash (not being restricted in any way) and not of the specific breeds that pace, he should be looked at by a chiropractor because something is wrong.

For further information on this go to www.whole-dog-journal.com and search their archives for the appropriate article.
    Ummm... what breeds? Cuz' he's a Heinz 57. Who knows what is in there. The only "almost for sure" is Great Pyrenese (sp?).

So yes, he could be a genuine pacing dog!!!

But thanks

Updated to note that I looked at the article, and it says if they begin pacing when older.. he has done it since I got him at 4 weeks.
    Last edited by EqTrainer; Mar. 14, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

LOL. All fall I was teasing my barn owner about her standard poodle puppy, saying she should make him her next dressage prospect. He's got the most elegant and lovely extended trot. It looks quite regal. Of course, he frequently finishes one of these displays of poetry in motion by bashing into a tree because he's gotten distracted and stopped watching where he's going.