The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ? for Area II Adult Riders

I was wondering what did other Area II adult riders get from last years memberships?

While renewing my USEA membership there was a spot to pay Adult Rider dues, I did not mark it. Last year I signed up and paid for Adult Rider Program in Area II. Did not get anything out it! I was a new member to the program, checked for the hat, never got it. Also I have heard that there is an AR site, needing a password to sign in. Who gives out the password?

Did anyone else experience this? Or was it just an oversight? I gave up really trying to get anywhere, since I ended up injuried and did not really compete until late in the fall season. But I am looking at some competitions this spring, and they are offering AR 'divisions' which would be really fun, esp. if there are teams! There is even an Unreg. possibly holding doing something for ARs.

Plus I even emailed AR reps. that the farm I am at would like to host an AR clinic....never heard back from anyone! Sorry, I am ranting more than anything.

Definitely an oversight!! I'm an Area II adult rider and haven't had any mishaps like what you've described. I'll alert the membership folks to your post. We share a chat email that is great for ideas, problems, brags and building comaraderie. Then we see each other at competitions and try to schedule get togethers to put names and faces together. There are winter social activities, all year long educational activities. It's a very active and positive group. There are other perks to being a member but I'll let someone else fill you in.

Karen Rubin

Sent you and another that could help. Definitely an oversight. Sorry!

jpalisades, you have a PM.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

Default thanks!

Seems it was an oversight!!

Apparently AR in Area II are very active. I just hope anyone else who may have had, uhm... 'communication'/membership problems as well will try again as well.

I have been pointed in the direction to contact the area AR chairperson. So thats the path I will take to make I am sending things to the correct person for 2009. As pointed out y a COTHer some contact information on the area II site is not current.

I hope to meet some of you this spring! ~Jenn

Looking forward to meeting you and your pony out and about this spring, we are a fun group and it is a great support group and your own private cheering group at events!!
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Yes - ditto what everyone else said.
    We are a bit email intensive. If you do email you will be able to keep up. I think most of us in the group have found it easier to communicate that way, and we do use the list extensively (it's ar2 at yahoo groups).
    It is less formal and structured than one would expect, we don't have "meetings" per se. (Well, other than the Area II Annual meeting and there won't be one of those this year anyhow due to the national convention being in VA.)
    If anyone else has considered being an Adult Rider in Area II or did sign up and didn't feel like it was worth can you post or PM? I think we would like to know if we are missing anyone, not speaking for the leaders, but I know that if you aren't an email intensive person you could easily feel left out, and we certainly don't want that.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I haven't renewed with the USEA yet this year, but I was previously really completely unaware that there was an Adult Rider program in the area. What does it do? What kind of events/benefits are there? Is everything in VA? Virginia is far for me to travel on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    I haven't renewed with the USEA yet this year, but I was previously really completely unaware that there was an Adult Rider program in the area. What does it do? What kind of events/benefits are there? Is everything in VA? Virginia is far for me to travel on a regular basis.

Not everything is in VA....it is really all of Area II so it includes NJ, PA, MD, VA, DE and NC (am I missing any states?) There are some clinics sponsored by the AR....and you will hear about others. There is scholarship/grant money available...that you wouldn't have a chance at without being a member. Also, it is a good networking tool. A way to meet eventers in your area or who compete at similar events. This is a big benefit to me as I'm often competing alone. It's nice if there is at least one person at an event who knows who I am! There are also year end awards etc....I'm sure I'm missing other things. It is a good group.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I finally signed up after years of not joining because whether or not I get anything (and let me just say I have gotten more compliments on my ARII T-shirt than any other t-shirt I wear to the barn), I think it is a great organization, especially for those who might go to events on their own and want folks to hang out with and trade advice with.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I joined but found the AR2 yahoo chat just overwhelming so I stopped going over to look at it.

Would be great if we could sign up to get emails about upcoming clinics, etc without having to go on the chat page....

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Also, it is a good networking tool. A way to meet eventers in your area or who compete at similar events. This is a big benefit to me as I'm often competing alone. It's nice if there is at least one person at an event who knows who I am!
    I second this! It's a good way to meet other folks at events. This weekend I was on my own at SPHT-1, so it was nice to have some other friendly faces around!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    I joined but found the AR2 yahoo chat just overwhelming so I stopped going over to look at it.

Would be great if we could sign up to get emails about upcoming clinics, etc without having to go on the chat page....
    Yes, the chat group can get a bit verbose at times, that's for sure! I find it much easier and quicker to go directly to the groups page in Yahoo and scan down the messages, than to get the emails. Even the Digest is tough to make it through somedays! So that's an option for you if you want to try that.

Also, Cindy has instituted last year an email distribution list of just members (because the Chat Group does have people on it who are not current members of the program.) She will send out announcements about clinics, special discussion topics, and goodies like Gretchen Butts' updates from the Olympics, so only members get those.

I'll remind her not to forget about announcing clinics! At the moment, I don't think there are any scheduled yet.

Thanks for the input -- keep it coming!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by colliemom View Post
    She will send out announcements about clinics, special discussion topics, and goodies like Gretchen Butts' updates from the Olympics, so only members get those.
    I don't think I get those?
    Or if I do, don't realize they're associated with AR2....

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    I don't think I get those?
    Or if I do, don't realize they're associated with AR2....
    Drop Cindy an email and let her know you are a paid member (assuming you are!) and don't seem to be getting the emails for paid members so she can check to make sure you are properly recorded. Her email is areaiiadultrider@aol.com

She hasn't sent many out yet this year -- just one so far talking about the scholarship, and I think one discussing something about donating money to Jersey Fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by colliemom View Post
    Drop Cindy an email and let her know you are a paid member (assuming you are!) and don't seem to be getting the emails for paid members so she can check to make sure you are properly recorded. Her email is areaiiadultrider@aol.com

She hasn't sent many out yet this year -- just one so far talking about the scholarship, and I think one discussing something about donating money to Jersey Fresh.
    Nope, definitely didn't get those.

Just shot her email--thanks!