The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Default Anyone know any horse hypocondriacs??

You know the people I mean, the ones who aren't happy unless there horse has "something" wrong with them? Whether it be the new illness du jour of the barn, or if they are always looking for an illness for their horse to have for whatever reason. In the medical profession there is Munchousen by proxy for people... do you think there are those that have it for their horses?? Or horses that are drama queens or kings in their own right..
    Last edited by horse-loverz; Mar. 15, 2009 at 06:13 AM.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Definitely. I know a few like that, actually...either there's a new viral threat, so let's quarantine ourselves (real helpful when I'm trying to travel for shows/lessons..) or they use imaginary lameness to get out of riding. Sometimes I just want to yell "They're horses!! They're going to get some scrapes on them. Get over it! People say they bubble wrap horses, but it's not. really. possible!"
    I've taken up a new mantra. "Whatever..."
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Absolutely!!! I have known a couple!!

Munchausen by horsie. Yeah I have known one or two.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

In my experience, those are the ones who never rode. Rather they chose to have the vet out for every little minor scrape or whatever and have a new ailment every other week.

So, yes, definitely have seen them...

Yes, I have too. Those I've dealth with tended to be a bit that way about themselves as well.

Like three-quarters of this board? Or does it just seem that way?

My family has had horses since before I was born, and even when you add in all the other horses I have known, I think there are more horses getting treated for something or other on this board every week than I ever heard of in my entire life put together.

I know a few like that and can never figure it out its like they are proud of having vet bills all the time. I have horses in their 20's that have never seen a vet. I know people with one horse that have more vets bills each year then I do with 30 horses.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Absolutely. I used to be friends with one girl who was convinced her horse was lame and there was something terribly wrong with her. She had every vet in the area look at her, none of them could find anything. None of us at the barn could see any lameness at all. She just wouldn't let it go. It was sad.
    Rebel Without Cash!

So glad to know it isn't just me. I have never understood why someone would seem to almost enjoy their horse being sick. They must just love the attention of "awww poor you so sad Dobbin is sick again"
    ';;;;;;; clique

Well...I am, sort of. NOT that I'm only happy when there's something wrong with my horse, but that I'm super sensitive to any changes in her because she DOES have some issues.

For example, right now Blush is rubbing her tail and shaking her head just a bit under saddle--two totally benign things, right? But I'm worried that these little things indicate her neck is flaring a bit and needs to be injected again.

Well Simke you have really had a ton of issue with Blush... I'm talking about the ones that are like.. well horse x has ulcers.... then a couple of weeks later their perfectly fine horse has ulcers.... etc etc etc. You truly have been through the ringer with blush.
    ';;;;;;; clique

HA!! I own one!

If she is too hot she is down on the ground.
    Her girth is too tight she is down on the ground.
    She is in heat, she is down on the ground.

Oddly, lameness issues she is very stoic about and will jump the moon even three legged, so go figure.

I own one, too! We should start a club. Mine is a total wuss, particularly about ouchy boo-boos. A mare gave him a little kick and he was three legged lame. Really, the BO thought he had broken his leg and would have to be put down. A real drama queen. He was perfectly fine the next day. We won't go into how he did on his PPE.

I had a boarder that was absolutely convinced her horse was lame, that it was a hoof issue. Hired and fired several different farriers, none who could find anything wrong with her horse. Convinced he was "off", had three different vets out, exams, MRIs, Xrays. I could have bought a new vehicle with what she spent on this horse that she NEVER rode.

Rode him twice in a year and half..the rest of the time she was crazy that he was lame, was "off", "NQR". I watched the horse go, the vets, the trainer, the farriers...NONE ever saw a blamed thing wrong with him. He bucked, ran, jumped, did all the horsey things out in the paddocks, professionals rode him and declared him SOUND.

Poor horse, subjected to one test after another..I was Soooo thankful when she moved him. I did contact the new barn later and the resident vet and asked how the horse was..same thing, new location.

All thought owner was NUTZ..

Quote Originally Posted by sidepasser View Post
    I had a boarder that was absolutely convinced her horse was lame, that it was a hoof issue. Hired and fired several different farriers, none who could find anything wrong with her horse. Convinced he was "off", had three different vets out, exams, MRIs, Xrays. I could have bought a new vehicle with what she spent on this horse that she NEVER rode.

Rode him twice in a year and half..the rest of the time she was crazy that he was lame, was "off", "NQR". I watched the horse go, the vets, the trainer, the farriers...NONE ever saw a blamed thing wrong with him. He bucked, ran, jumped, did all the horsey things out in the paddocks, professionals rode him and declared him SOUND.

Poor horse, subjected to one test after another..I was Soooo thankful when she moved him. I did contact the new barn later and the resident vet and asked how the horse was..same thing, new location.

All thought owner was NUTZ..
    This sounds eerily familiar to me.
    ';;;;;;; clique

I think I am one. I think I restrain myself admirably, I rarely call the vet out except for routine shots or obvious, obvious problems like an eye issue or lameness that everyone can see. But when no one is looking, I will spend 15 minutes comparing first one leg, then the other, trying to determine if one feels a little puffy or hot.

My poor mare. She is never lame, and still she is submitted to this treatment! My consolation is that it is good for her - when I got her, she was bad about having her legs handled, and now she is very good Just stands there, rolling her eyes.

My problem is that whenever something is actually wrong, it turns out that it is something that I worried about earlier, decided I was overreacting about, and ignored. Then I feel guilty! Therefore, every time some ailment crosses my mind, I feel compelled to obsess over it, in case something actually is wrong.

I do my best to keep it my own personal drama, although I fear it leaks out now and then. I told my DH that someone needed to suspend my google license a few days ago, and he revoked it for 4 hours

Default Me!!

You know the Jeff Foxworthy standup joke about "I hate those prescription drug commercials. My wife sits there crying saying 'I have every single one of those symptoms!" and I have to tell her 'You do NOT have testicular cancer!!" (paraphrasing, of course).
    That's me with my horses!!! Not bad enough to where I think my mare needs her sheath cleaned or anything a-la Foxworthy (haha), but yeah. They have a crack in their hoof, I'm holding them for the farrier freaking out about quarter cracks and the end of the world and the farrier has to tell me "it's aesthetic. I will trim their feet in 2 weeks and they'll be fine." Poor farrier when my horse went barefoot when she was pregnant.. I was sure her feet were falling off! Lately I've had great trainers who have fixed my horsey hypochondria... I no-longer believe that a scrape is going to get infected with gangrene and their leg is going to fall off... haha, well, maybe I was never that bad, but yeah.
    But at least they all get worked as long as they're not lame or in danger of exacerbating the issue. I've just had so many issues with my babies when I pass something off as "oh it's nothing" (thought the mare had a sore back.. oh no wait, that's a torn collateral ligament in her stifle... wow the mare is leaking colostrum out 3 weeks early and looks like she's carrying a medium pony in her belly... oh wait, those are twins...), so now I jump off the deep end to worst case scenario and then anything that comes up is a relief haha. Guilty as charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker_Rider View Post
    You know the Jeff Foxworthy standup joke about "I hate those prescription drug commercials. My wife sits there crying saying 'I have every single one of those symptoms!" and I have to tell her 'You do NOT have testicular cancer!!" (paraphrasing, of course).
    That's me with my horses!!! Not bad enough to where I think my mare needs her sheath cleaned or anything a-la Foxworthy (haha), but yeah. They have a crack in their hoof, I'm holding them for the farrier freaking out about quarter cracks and the end of the world and the farrier has to tell me "it's aesthetic. I will trim their feet in 2 weeks and they'll be fine." Poor farrier when my horse went barefoot when she was pregnant.. I was sure her feet were falling off! Lately I've had great trainers who have fixed my horsey hypochondria... I no-longer believe that a scrape is going to get infected with gangrene and their leg is going to fall off... haha, well, maybe I was never that bad, but yeah.
    But at least they all get worked as long as they're not lame or in danger of exacerbating the issue. I've just had so many issues with my babies when I pass something off as "oh it's nothing" (thought the mare had a sore back.. oh no wait, that's a torn collateral ligament in her stifle... wow the mare is leaking colostrum out 3 weeks early and looks like she's carrying a medium pony in her belly... oh wait, those are twins...), so now I jump off the deep end to worst case scenario and then anything that comes up is a relief haha. Guilty as charged.
    Well admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery
    ';;;;;;; clique

Unhappy

I knew one--- would enter rated shows, ride in one class and scratch for the rest of the weekend EVERYTIME because "Sparky" was sore or whatever... spent tons on money on the horse psychic, chiro, accupunture, witch doctor, massage, supplements.... hardly rode a drop.
    Funny how after her Doctor husband divorced her, all of a sudden her horses did not need all this crap....