The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for ATV for the farm

More specifically I'm looking for a small one. I want it to be small enough for my 5 yr old to fit but strong enough that a small adult(me) can use too. I want my son to be able to do stuff around the farm, like drag and put a small trailer on the back to help with picking the field, stuff like that. I want a used one that is not a lot of money. Any advice/input?
    To ride or not to ride; what a stupid question!

Hmmm...take my input with a grain of salt, since I'm not an expert on either children or ATV's. Hell, I'm not even sure I could keep one alive (kids, that is. I already know I can kill an ATV.) But I just wonder if a 5 year old and an ATV is the best combination. It can take some muscle to drive even the smaller ones, and more than once my hand has slipped, goosing the gas and causing me to say, "damn, that could have been ugly." I know they make little kid-sized ATV's, but I question the logic of those as well.

That's just my first thought, I'm not trying to make judgements on parenting skills or anything.

As a mother and an ATV owner, putting a 5 yo on an ATV is not a good idea, especially to do farm work. Around here, you have to be 16 to ride an ATV. I take my 6 yo on our with me but he's always sitting in front of me, we go slow and only for a recreational ride. Doing anything more than that, too many things can go wrong that it's not worth the risk.
    If you're going to get an ATV to do farm work, you'll need a 4x4 and nothing smaller than a 350cc. That's what we have and I wouldn't go any smaller. We bought ours used and it came with a plow. You can also purchase a bucket for it. I know TSC sells them.

You will have to spend more, but how about a UTV?
    They have a dump box behind and are considerably more handy than an ATV and somewhat safer for kids to handle.
    You still can pull most anything with it, carry feed and supplies, etc.

Unless you are going over really rugged terrain and chasing cattle with it, UTV's are a better machine for most farm use and safer to drive.

If you're looking for an ATV for smaller people or kids, I would consider a 25-50cc of whatever brand you choose and NOTHING, I mean NOTHING any bigger or more powerful. The 25's are safe enough provided that whoever is riding has a helmet and is being supervised with an experienced rider. The trick is not to go too fast and not to try any stupid human tricks with the machine, capiche??
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coobie View Post
    More specifically I'm looking for a small one. I want it to be small enough for my 5 yr old to fit but strong enough that a small adult(me) can use too. I want my son to be able to do stuff around the farm, like drag and put a small trailer on the back to help with picking the field, stuff like that. I want a used one that is not a lot of money. Any advice/input?
    Yeah, any ATV big enough to do what youre talking about "on the farm"........a 5 year old has no business on.

Not scared of a 5 year old on an ATV, there just needs to be some precautions taken.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

I know two families who have lost children in ATV accidents in the last year or two.

http://www.atvsafetynet.org/news.php?page=pr

For the farm, I highly recommend getting a good ATV that is big, strong, and heavy -- and wholly unsuitable for a 5 year old child. All the things that make an ATV useful and SAFE for an adult to use for farm chores make it very dangerous for a small child. We have a Honda and it is awesome, but I wouldn't let anyone under 16 use it and even then only if the kid is responsible, wears a helmet, etc. In fact, if you were to put a 5 year old a big ATV and God forbid anything were to happen, you might find yourself in some serious trouble for child endangerment (not to mention the practice is probably illegal anyway in your state).

If you are just trying instill a good work ethic, perhaps get him a little red wagon to "pull" lighter things with.

As a mom of ATV riding kids...no 5 yr old can handle an ATV that can carry an adult. An ATV big enough for "most" adults is way to powerful for a 5 yr old and and ATV for a 5 yr old is way to small for the average adult.

Do yourself a favor...get the child his own small ATV specifically designed for a beginning child...there are some tiny enough for them and many have remote kill switches... Try putting a wanted to buy ad on someplace like Craig's list or stop by your local ATV dealer and get their input...

It would really kill me to hear about your son being on a full sized ATV and getting hurt. Accidents can and WILL happen...do yourself a favor and get the idea of your son riding an ATV designed for an adult!!

Haven't read the replies. After doing horses on large acreage for 23 years, my best recos as far as durability and practicality are Kubota's RTV and Kawasaki "Mule". John Deere Gators suck...can't carry a payload, made of plastic that breaks and very high maintenance (that is, don't last long without lots maintenance. I'll never buy another one. Crappy in the snow and mud as well.

Between the "Mule" and the Kubota...it's Kubota hands down. Expensive, yes, but they pay for themselves with reduced maintenance costs over the years.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys thanks for the input! I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. I was figuring that I wouldn't be able to find what I was looking for! I'll look for something that is more specific to him. I know that you can adjust the governor so it goes only as fast as you want it to. I've also been reading about the remote one that an adult can shut off. He already has one of those battery operated John Deere tractor so he's ready to move up. It was either an ATV or a dirt bike, I figured let's start out with 4 wheels first!

We have a Kubota that is awesome. We use it every day to feed, water, and we recently seeded our pastures with it.

Exclamation

Having known someone whose 5yo broke only an arm turning over one of those kid sized ATVs, I'd say that no child belongs on something motorized.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Having known someone whose 5yo broke only an arm turning over one of those kid sized ATVs, I'd say that no child belongs on something motorized.
    But the same thing could happen to a young child falling off a pony, yet kids still ride ponies!

I know I'll be in the minority here but over the past 19 years we have had and still have many quads and motorcycles and three kids and all have been riding since they were about 4 years old. Started them out on 50cc quads and motorcycles, (always with full gear, helmets, gloves, chest protectors, boots and goggles), spent a lot of time educating them on how to ride properly and two of them even raced motorcycle for several years between the ages of 6 and 10. Just like learning to ride a pony at that age, you need to take precautions. Our quads and motorcycles don't kick or bite and are totally predictable.

So to answer your question I would suggest a Yamaha Grizzly for the barn work. We had a 660 for 5 years and just traded it in this year for a 700. Also available in a 550 version which is adequate for the needs you mentioned. Great for dragging the rake around the ring, hauling, and transporting us all over the farm and beyond. We love to take the quads out on the trail for the day as much as we like taking the horses. We also have a plow attachment for the snow. I would recommend skid plates, an after market accessory, to protect your investment.

As for your 5 year old, start small. 50cc and under for now. Don't let him drive the Grizzly. Always have him wear a helmet, long sleeve shirt, even in 90 degree weather, long pants and boots that go past the ankle. Gloves and goggles are a must. When you purchase a quad, all manufacturers offer a free safety course. Take the course. It's worth the time.

Join us at the ATV forums at: http://forums.atvconnection.com/

Hope this helps!

Suit the little one up and only supervised flat driving for a while.
    My sister had to sell the two ATVs she bought her 5 and 7 year old sons. Even suited up like miniature knights with two adults in their flat backyard with those nephews of mine...well they lost 3 shrubs, a bicycle, the backstop fence to their baseball field, a few sections of privacy fence, a few parts off the ATVs and 3 baby teeth. Ty and Riggs were a little too fearless on those things, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Suit the little one up and only supervised flat driving for a while.
    My sister had to sell the two ATVs she bought her 5 and 7 year old sons. Even suited up like miniature knights with two adults in their flat backyard with those nephews of mine...well they lost 3 shrubs, a bicycle, the backstop fence to their baseball field, a few sections of privacy fence, a few parts off the ATVs and 3 baby teeth. Ty and Riggs were a little too fearless on those things, LOL!
    FWIW...the best ATV/gator for the farm so far has been our 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Haven't found anything I can't do with that thing yet.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Having worked in a rural emergency room. DO NOT BUY AN ATV FOR YOUR CHILD UNDER 12 !!! At least a 12 year old has a ghost of a chance of having the strength to keep it sort of upright and steer it if it hits a bump at speed...and a 12 year old is beginning to have some sort of judgement.

Well, I did see one that was safe for that age. It was an electric ATV running on a 6 volt motorcycle battery and its top speed was about 6 MPH- so and adult can easily jog beside it, and it was almost entirely made of plastic and so light so if it tips over, it is unlikely to crush a child's head, break its neck, amputate a limb or spill fuel and cause disfiguring burns or cause death. But there is no way an adult could ride it without crushing it.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I've found that our 6x6 Polaris Ranger is an awesome vehicle for a farm. It has lots of power, is excellent in the snow, and makes daily chores a breeze. Come to think of it, there is nothing about it I don't like Like any ATV/UTV that is up to the daily rigors of farm chores, it is not suitable for children to operate