The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Greenie vs. Made horse?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go with the greenie, save money, train him up your way

54 49.09%
  • Go with the made horse, life is short - show and enjoy it

56 50.91%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't so much think it's hard for us (the collective) to make up your mind for you...it's just that some of us like greenies and some of us like made horses...and it happens to be about 50/50 right now. lol Personally, having done the greenie thing for about the last 2 decades, I'm ready for a made horse. What are YOU ready for?

Where are you in your riding?

If you already know how to make a horse from scratch, how about now getting a made horse with more potential and you both get to enjoy going as far as you can with what he already knows and you can learn and teach him further?
    If you don't have that much showing experience, take the chance to get a better than you have been showing horse with this economy and go further that way.

You can always go back later to bring a green horse along, if you decide to do so, but you are learning more about what you don't know yet.

Now, if you are already very good at both, then flip a penny.

I picked the made because I don't have the time to work with a greenie. The job that pays for horses is very busy at this time and will be through summertime.

Maybe at another time, when I have more time I will bring a greenie around.

I say go with made. I agree with LucassB. Just because a horse is made doesn't mean it cannot learn new skills nor does it mean it is an easy ride or unchallenging.
    In addition, if you go with a made horse you have a pretty clear idea what your getting from the beginning. A greenie? Not so much.

And quite frankly, I know so many ammies that prefer to make their own greenies rather than buy made but the problem is if they don't get a pro on the horse frequently enough there often are holes in the training. I have yet to ride an ammy made horse that is as consistent, responsive and fine tuned as a professionally made horse (by a good pro obviously). Not to say my personal experiences/opinion applies to you (nor anyone else on this board) but it has deterred me from ever getting a complete greenie unless I decide to put in full training.

Well, can't answer that poll until you write a few sentences on what your *goal* is for this new horse, and time frame. (And sorry if its obvious from past posts, I can't recall right now...) I.e., what discipline are you going to show in, and where do you hope to be riding this horse in 3, or 5 years?

Arcadien

If money is your primary concern I'm for the made horse. I pick up a lot of green horses and with very rare exception, I end up putting more time and money into them (to get them into the bigger jumper classes) than it would have cost to buy a more made one. But then it's probably worth mentioning that I also take on a lot of "problem" horses, which may skew my view a little.

But seriously? Think about the money. How much does it cost to keep a horse for a year? I'm going to go with roughly $6K on the cheap side for a show horse (including hay, grain, shoes, vaccinations, worming, board???, etc.) . Add whatever training and shows you do onto that and a horse that might take 2 years to get to that "made" point is suddenly $12K-$20K more expensive that what you "paid."

In this market I suspect that you could pick up a more-made-than-green horse for less money than it would cost to get a real greenie to that point.

If the project is what you're looking for, then I'd vote for the green horse. That's the part I love about riding, so I certainly understand that perspective.

Well, I voted greenie just based on the last few posts and hoping to bring you back toward a tie!

Honestly, I can't help you either. Right now I am enjoying my pretty well made 6 yo, purchased green at 2, and my still greenish 4 yo purchased a year ago. Over the decades I've acquired both 'types' and really enjoyed them both. A 'made' horse isn't a dead end, you are continuing to 'make' them to your tastes even into their 20s. In my lifetime stable, a 'made' ex steeplechaser is 'made' into a foxhunter, a 'green' western pleasure horse made first into a 'made' western pleasure horse and then a 'made' foxhunter, and so on. They're all fun.

I love working with greenies. Actually, that's about all I used to ride. My show horse is pretty made, but I've owned her since she was three, so we went through the green stage a few years ago. The only "made" horses I've ever owned were ones I did myself. If you find one with a great brain, the training is easy. You just have to be careful what you bring home! Just because a horse is "green" doesn't mean they are dangerous. Some just need someone to take the reins and teach them.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

I recently had to make this same decision -- they were all 5 and 6 year old Arabians, but two were made, and one was just very well-handled but not started. I'm going green, mostly because I love the idea that a horse you start and train and everything is 100% your horse, you can make them pretty much the way you want them to ride. I have two horses now, and the one I started is so much more my horse. I trust and understand her much more. Now I'm selling my "made" horse, who I never did click with, and am going to try starting another one. We train a couple of horses a year usually, and they always turn out to be better, more responsive rides than the ones we have just bought.

I went green and sometimes wish I would've done my homework a little better, but I wouldn't trade her for the world. So good luck!!
    Proud Owner of Acertifiable Sonny 1996 AQHA Sorrel Gelding
    -- I loff my QH Clique

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Assuming you are equally capable of riding both a made or green horse and doing them justice (these are big "assumptions" for all of us), what do you prefer? The journey or the destination?

I've bought along a few green beans, but my main man Robbie, my show horse is 17 and I've owned him since he was 3. We know each other like the back of our hand - or hoof as the case may be. I joke that we are like an old married couple - not only do we know how to save each other's butt, we also know how to push each other's buttons in ways so subtle tha tinnocent bystanders can't see the subtext of the conversation.

That said, last August I bought a yearling and am now bringing him along and I am enjoying every minute of it. It has reminded me, that as much fun as showing a made horse is, I will always enjoy the journey more than the destination.

So what kind of person are you?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

[QUOTE=kellyb;3945781]I'm going to try and spare you the long story (I'm a rambler, you can thank me later). Basically I am looking for a new horse and I can NOT decide whether I want a prospect/greenie to work with, or if I want to buy something that's already made. I'm not talking like A show/world show rated made - but well broke/packer type of horse. I'm not working with a huge budget, but with the market the way it is, your dollar goes pretty far now a days...

It's easy to say just go with the one you fall in love with...but I fall in love with/see potential in every horse, so that's not going to cut it I can do the training myself, so it would just be costing me time, not money.

We're all horse people, we all know the pros and cons of greenie vs. made horse...The greenie would save me 50%-75% in purchase price...but the made horse I could just relax, enjoy and go show tomorrow with...the greenie I could train myself, the way I wanted...but the made horse is...made

sounds like your a novice rider by what you said so a green horse is out
    as you need to be able to be a decent rider to bring the horse on
    if your not a confident capberble rider then forget green horse

you need a horse thats been there and done that you can get on and just go so schoolie type that matches your riding skills

it really depends on how honest you are with yourself and what you are confident in doing
    dont lie to yourself once you have not lied to self then stick to the comitted
    type of horse your looking for - its really no good thinking one can do a green horse if they have got the knoweldge to back it up

Quote Originally Posted by skatepixie View Post
    To me, it's really a question only you can answer. That needs to be based on if you actually *enjoy* working with green horses. Would you have more satisfaction in the long run knowing that you did most of the training with the horse, or does it not matter?
    I think this is the key. I LOVE my youngster, but I have to say, if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably opt for something a little more made. I've had tons of stress over training, and just baby stuff. But some people don't sweat that stuff and some really, truly enjoy it. If you really enjoy it, then go with the greenie. But be prepared to have to be REALLY consistent in your riding style and schedule in order to get anywhere. It may be cheaper up front, but definitely isn't cheaper OR faster in the long run.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by eponacelt View Post
    It may be cheaper up front, but definitely isn't cheaper OR faster in the long run.
    Me and a friend used to call it the "pay as you go" plan. Same cost, different payment schedule.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

You didn't say what experience you have of bringing on youngsters?

I prefer green horses for me, though not necessarily for the reasons listed. As I always say, the only baggage I want a horse of mine to have is the baggage I give them...at least then I know what's in the bags! But that's just me. I really get a lot of enjoyment out of bringing up a youngster. I enjoy them even more once they are going like old pros. For some people, they either don't have the skills, or the energy or desire to bring up a young, green horse, in which case, an older, going horse is ideal.

In any case, yep, it is a buyer's market right now and your money can stretch pretty far. One of our clients just bought a FANTASTIC little horse that would have been at least twice what we paid for her a year or so ago.

If you want to start showing and can afford the made horse I see no reason to buy a greenie unless you want the experience of having one and bringing one along.

I bought a green bean because I wanted a fancy A/O Hunter but knew I didn't have the budget to afford one that was already successful at the level I wanted. Even looking for a green horse, it took over a year of searching to find the right horse. I've just started showing him in the A/A's myself, and we have a way to go before we get to the A/O's. He's turning into an incredible horse but it definitely wasn't a quick or easy road to go.

What would YOU enjoy more? Some people would really prefer to be able to just go and show, me...I want a project. I've been leasing a mare from my trainer for a little over a year. When I started riding her she was coming back into work from broodmare duties for a few years. Before her broodmare career she had been started, but didn't have a lot of training. She has come along really well and is getting close to being finished. I realized last week when I started riding a 3 year old that is in for training and very green that I'm ready to move on from the mare I've been leasing. I really adore her and it makes me really sad to think about moving on from her, but I really feel that she is ready for a new rider and I'm ready for a new project. But I know a lot of people who would much rather have a horse that they can just come out and enjoy at home and go and show without the "greenie factor" (even if they have the skill and experience to ride a green horse).

One of each
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Wow, lots of great responses, thanks so much everyone! I'll try and touch on a couple...

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    Well, can't answer that poll until you write a few sentences on what your *goal* is for this new horse, and time frame. (And sorry if its obvious from past posts, I can't recall right now...) I.e., what discipline are you going to show in, and where do you hope to be riding this horse in 3, or 5 years?

Arcadien
    I wish it was as simple as, "I'm kellyb and my discipline is ___". But it's not I have so many interests. I have done a little bit of everything except driving, and I truly have no preference. I would be happy doing h/j stuff or all-around AQHA/APHA breed show type stuff, or anything in between. I figured I would just end up doing whatever my future horse is best at...

I don't have a time limit for my goals...I'd be happy to show in a month...I'd be happy to go to schooling shows for a year if I have to...

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Assuming you are equally capable of riding both a made or green horse and doing them justice (these are big "assumptions" for all of us), what do you prefer? The journey or the destination?
    Well when you put it like that...I guess I am a journey person. I do enjoy both the good and bad that comes with the greenies...any future success is just that more meaningful because I know I've put the time in myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    One of each
    Great plan. Will you help me with the board?

I think I am leaning towards the green/unmade horse for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.