The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Greenie vs. Made horse?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go with the greenie, save money, train him up your way

54 49.09%
  • Go with the made horse, life is short - show and enjoy it

56 50.91%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Greenie vs. Made horse

I'm going to try and spare you the long story (I'm a rambler, you can thank me later). Basically I am looking for a new horse and I can NOT decide whether I want a prospect/greenie to work with, or if I want to buy something that's already made. I'm not talking like A show/world show rated made - but well broke/packer type of horse. I'm not working with a huge budget, but with the market the way it is, your dollar goes pretty far now a days...

It's easy to say just go with the one you fall in love with...but I fall in love with/see potential in every horse, so that's not going to cut it I can do the training myself, so it would just be costing me time, not money.

We're all horse people, we all know the pros and cons of greenie vs. made horse...The greenie would save me 50%-75% in purchase price...but the made horse I could just relax, enjoy and go show tomorrow with...the greenie I could train myself, the way I wanted...but the made horse is...made

So now tell me what to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Never assume that a horse that is made up can't learn a TON ... and meanwhile, you have the fun of riding a horse that already has the basics installed.

Greenies are much harder to evaluate because to some extent you have to guess at their potential. If the only reason you would consider a greenie is cost... then frankly I'd take advantage of the economy and find yourself a nice broke animal and have fun teaching it higher level skills.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Default I look at time together in the future...

Most "packer" horses are not as young as your basic greenie or prospect. So I tend to go for younger horses. We bond through their training and I have no one but myself to blame if they don't learn something I'm teaching them.

But I've gotten all but one of my current horses before age 2.

There is no one good answer here! I personally love greenies... but they can be frustrating too and sometimes it is nice to get a break from riding horses you are always explaining things to. I have had one "made" horse and it was neat to just go "Hmm, this horse has competed at this level, so she must do walk pirouettes" and push the button and voila, walk pirouette. Whoohoo! Made horses can be great for working on your own riding, competitive campaigning at X level, and improving rider confidence.

Greenies can be a great thing to, you can get a bargain and train it "your way", but sometimes they don't turn out to be cut out for what you want to do, they can be frustrating or scary, and they can teach you bad habits dealing with "green moments".

So anyway it just depends on your goals/issues (time for that novel!)

Jennifer

I'm a greenie lover, but I certainly wouldn't push them for everyone = ) I just like the feeling of "making" something. Probably comes from growing up without much money, so I had to make something out of nothing, haha. It feels GREAT to make something that you "discovered" and beat those that were purchased "made" - thought that isn't always how it turns out for sure! I do so love to ride a great finished horse, but I really love the process of getting on there too.

Greenies can be all ages though. I currently have a dressage "greenie" that I originally purchased to "flip." He had so much potential I felt I should just keep him instead... Haha, so you certainly never know what you might get. Might get a trail horse at best, might get a world beater. That's half the fun!

When I replaced Dobbin I looked at a horse that was made. Wow was she. I really wanted her but trainers were afraid of what had been done ot her by other trainer. So I bought an older greenie. Got burned big time. Got another greenie cause my budget was gone. This one may turn out good but not as good as the made horse for quite a while, though I have a lot more time with this one.

If you can get a greenie for little or nothing you wont lose much if they dont work out for what you want. Maybe he wants to rein when you want dressage. You can give him away without feeling bad. Lets face it, giving them away might be the only option.

OTOH, if you can get a made horse for little or nothing, thats my vote.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

There is a middle ground between completely made and green bean If you're not sure what you want, or what pricing will look like, why not look at some that are well-started and have a little milage, but aren't totally broke? You'd have a horse that would be good to do some things straight off, but you could still have fun learning more together.

I voted for "made" horse... Basically, I'm just old and tired.

Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

I prefer a green horse.

But I am DEFINITELY NOT "saving money" in the long term.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

To me, it's really a question only you can answer. That needs to be based on if you actually *enjoy* working with green horses. Would you have more satisfaction in the long run knowing that you did most of the training with the horse, or does it not matter?
    Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    Racing Enthusiast Clique
    Careful, you might end up in my novel!

I voted "made" horse because in this economy, you can probably pick up a really nice horse for far less than the cumulative costs would be of a greenie + upkeep and training for several years.

But then it depends on what you want right now. Some days it's nice to do the planning and potential thing. Other days you really appreciate coming to the barn and knowing you can have a nice relaxing ride with no surprises
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Check out the 'Tweens, meaing a horse that will jump around 3' but not always consistently, and has the potential to do a little more with some time and mileage. there are a lot of people who don't have the time or money to get a horse through the middle ground of being green and being a packer, but the horse certainly has the potential and ability to be a packer. that way you can go show, but still have the challenge of ironing out the wrinkles and putting the polish on, but without the complete frustration of green!

I always buy the green beans. I have so much fun training and watching the horse progress.

We have a couple of nice horses that aren't made, but aren't dead green (i.e. are jumping around 2'6") for sale that are very reasonable. I'd say look for soemthing along those lines, that with just a couple months work would be ready to go and show. What I am selling WELL and for good prices are pretty much made horses, the dead green ones are dirt cheap (unless awfully fancy) and these types that are almost, but not quite there are still selling, but are cheaper than they were a year ago and owners are often motivated to move them as they don't want to keep putting money into training etc in this economy. However, you have to decide can you make the horse yourself or do you ahve to pay someone to do it. If the latter you may not be saving any $$$

You guys are NOT helpful. So far, 14 people have voted green, and 14 people have voted made.

Seems like this is a tough decision for all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Yayyyy I'm a tie breaker. 15th to vote and I went with made.

Doesn't have to be finished, just pretty well started to give you an idea of actual ability. Plus you don't have to bust your butt getting them worked almost every day on top of job, family and other responsibilities. No surprises either.

They are well priced these days.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

My vote would be a made horse with a known history of only one or two owners.

I got my paint as a weanling and started him and know him inside and out. I k now how to push his buttons, because I'm the one that put them there. But it took 3-4 years to get him there.

My QH was well broke, but had a shady history. Not quite sure where he had been and such. As a result it took a long time to figure out his buttons and I just never got completely comfortable with him.

My Paso Fino is the best of both worlds. She's 12 and completely made, but has only had one owner/trainer her whole life. I was able to learn directly from her old owner and we clicked immediately. And if I have any problems questions I can still call/email her former owner to help figure them out.

Default depends on who you are

and what you mean by green and made.

I have taken several horses of the track. they have a lot to learn and they know a lot.

how well do you bounce.

I plan to keep my current ottb until he is 28 and I am 72 and then figure out what to do next.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I've done the green bean and the mid range well started younger horse and then I got my cheapy-cheap broke to death (albeit aged) Very Nice Horse. And for me, (not saying for everyone) the sheer joy of just finding out he knows how to answer questions AND the answer is Yes? Is awesome. There is no drama, no issues, I can just get on and go do stuff, instead of waiting, wondering, training, etc.

Age isn't such a hard and fast rule though, my TB is 18 and while he is made for flatwork, he will never make up into a bombproof trail horse. On the other hand, the coming 4 year old Morgan I ride is already a good citzen, and in 3-6 months of weekly lessons would be a reliable steady eddie fun horse for anyone.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

No need to decide now; take a look at everything that catches your eye, and buy the right horse for you.