The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Auventera two-Prontonix was tried in horses-actually it was the IV version in foals. When I was doing ulcer research, I found if you google the generic name(not the brand name) you have access to the scientific studies. From what I could gather, the omeprazole paste works and supposedly not the generic because of the delivery system-although enough people here have mentioned good results with the generic, too! I know that in human studies, the FDA allowed a 20% difference in bioequivalency between the name brand and the generic, so potentially, the generic may not be as effective. A lot of it really depends on the generic company-some are good, some not so good.
    Reality Check- I was told by a racetrack vet that you can give 5 of the over the counter generic Tagamet(20 mg) twice a day for 2 weeks. If you think the ulcers are bad, you can use 10 pills 2X/day. I would definitely ask your vet his/her opinion on this-if agreed, it is a reasonable option.

What low starch grain is he on? Some are not as "low starch" as others. Try replacing some of the grain with beet pulp- if your boarding barn will feed it. It will help keep him from dropping weight.
    Also, stomach soother is relatively inexpensive- it's papaya puree. I myself did not have any success with MY ulcers until drinking papaya juice- and my own horse had a marked improvement on papaya as well. Papaya and aloe work welll together also.

Default Papaya?

Can anyone give out more information on Papaya? I have treated for ulcers (30 days ulcergard) NOw I'm interested in maintenance, I give 1/4 tube of lessons etc and U7 everyday at meals. I found Stomach soother for 12.00 at the tack shop and Papaya juice for 6.00 same volume at Whole foods.

So, why is Papaya good and can anyone chime in with their experience.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I have had my ulcery mare on Smart Gut for about 3 weeks and have noticed good results with it. She had been off of her omeprazole for about 10 days when I started using the Smart Gut. In those 10 days she went off feed and became somewhat depressed.

It took a few days for her to accept the Smart Gut - she didn't like the taste at first I guess. After about 3 days of gradually increasing the dose, she was fine with it. Now she eats it up just fine - topdressed on her feed (beet pulp wetted down and mixed with a pellet) and she is once again cleaning up her feed bucket.

She is not cribbing at all anymore. She used to crib on the cross-ties when she had her cribbing strap off.

The main reason I decided to try the Smart Gut was that it contains Fenugreek, which is an herb that soothes the digestive tract. There are lots of other herbs contained in it as well - all of which I found recommended by different websites/blogs when I was researching herbal ulcer solutions.

I also am giving my mare 30 CCs of aloe juice mixed with 30 ccs of papaya juice. She gets that mixture 2x/day - before feeding time.

I also feed her bananas for treats and am trying not to feed any treats with refined sugar (those always get her cribbing - kind of tells me maybe they irritate her stomach/digestive tract). Anytime she gets peppermints on the cross ties she starts cribbing. But just bananas or carrots - she stands there very mellow - not cribbing.

Default Aloe Vera Juice

The osteopath who works on my horses recommends one cup of Aloe Vera Juice twice a day for two weeks for the treatment of ulcers. I have no idea if it works. You can buy it by the gallon at WalMart where you find Citrucel.

I've been using ranitidine with success on my mare- get it at Costco super cheap! I've had no problems giving it to her once or twice a day. I Also add to that a cup of Aloe Vera Juice, I buy the gallon size at Walmart or Trader Joes, and some alfalfa hay pellets and probios. To help her maintain weight she gets plenty of timothy hay, beet pulp and rice bran. The difference has been amazing- I took her off the ranitidine to see if it made any difference and within a few days she was crabby, loosing weight, cribbing more and very ouchy and girthy. Needless to say she's back on the ulcer meds!

I have had great luck with Ulcer Formula by Progressive. It's worked for this horse on at least three occasions, literally overnight. I started him on it yesterday and he has his appetite back today. (I accidentally gave him ulcers again by giving him my other horse's joint supplement with devil's claw.)

I had been giving him generic omeprazole and aloe vera juice for a week without improvement.

http://www.prognutrition.com/ulcerformula.html

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    After a long search I couldn't find the exact answer to my question, so sorry in advance for yet ANOTHER ulcer post!

I am treating my horse for ulcers, but am on a tight budget. I've figured out that I can afford 10-14 tubes of Ulcergard, but that's already stretching the wallet. (We're on day 3 now.) I'm also doing several other things that I have been told can help prevent ulcers, but my question is would it be better to give him 10 full tubes of Ulcergard, or taper it off? If I take it down to 1/2 and then 1/4 tube, it will last much longer, but will the ulcers really be cured? And before I get tons of replies saying this, I know 30 days at a full tube is recommended, but that is simply not in an option, I cannot go into debt to treat my horse for ulcers. So, any suggestions?
    I would do probably a week at full dose,then the second week at half dose until finished....then for maintenance i would go to either finish line's U7 Gastric Aid or Corta Flx U Guard-they are both excellent less exspensive choices that work great and have been for me for several years w/ no problems. Also...if you can feed any time of alfalfa that would help as well,along w/ a good probiotic,free choice good quality hay,a low starch/nsc feed,and as much turnout as possible

Does any know what the ingredients are in Ulcer Formula by Progressive?

I can't seem to find it on there site. Thx!

I was just told yesterday the patent is off Gastrogaurd (not verified) but this friend was complaining she just bought a lot, and now you can get it compounded yourself (or there are now knock off's available..
    This could be just heresay, but I thought I'd mention it.
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

The patents on UG and GG don't end until 2012.

I had terrific results with dynamite miracle clay, BUT I never scoped, before or after, so I have no proof one way or the other.

I was just wondering, considering many out here appear to have good results with products other then GG or UC, if some horses just suffer from gastric irritabilitly and not necessarily ulcers, in which case some of those acid reducers seem to work so well.

I don't even now if gastric irritabililty exists however, this just passed my mind. Sometimes humans can have stomach troubles but haven't necessarily developped ulcers yet, but nevertheless feel much better when taking some Maalox for example. Just thinking out loud here .

Ulcers don't just crop up out of nowhere in an instant. They can and often are preceded by minor erosion or gastritis, and that can definitely be on a continuum from mild to severe. Visible ulcers means you've already done quite a lot of damage to the stomach mucosa. It's quite easy to conceive of a situation where a horse could have minor symptoms or signs and also where they might respond to something besides the "big guns". It's not a binary thing: ulcers or no ulcers.
    Click here before you buy.

GREAT point deltawave, thanks for pointing that out.

I've been hashing over for a while now how some people say XYZ supplement worked excellent for my horse, but others say it did nothing. Most people DON'T have a scope so they don't know the extent of the damage. The scope is expensive and has its own risks so a lot of people opt to just try a treatment and see if it helps. Nothing wrong with that. But the fact is you just DON'T KNOW how much damage is present. Minor irritation and thickening might respond to papya or aloe or whatever. But when you have more bleeding ulcerations than you can count, you have to get out the gatling gun - not the water pistol.

I think without a scope before and after, you can't really say that ANY treatment "worked" or "healed" ulcers. All you can say is that my horse appeared asymptomatic after using XYZ.

I will agree with others who say that horses can have a low level of irritation managed with non-Gastrogard/Ulcercard treatment-- but that doesn't mean the treatment HEALED ULCERS. It could simply be that the horse hadn't fully developed ulcers and/or was in preliminary stages such that just reducing acid was enough to provide comfort.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Or, as often happens in nature, things just get better. This whopper of a cold I've had the last 2 days (my first one since 2003, dang it, I thought maybe I'd outgrown them) being my recently ever-present reminder of that. No echinacea, no vitamin C, no nuthin' except self-pity . . . and robitussin.
    Click here before you buy.

Will a horse with uclers go off their hay but not their grain? Daughter's pony eats up her grain but doesn't really want the hay and is losing weight. I have increased the grain but that isn't working. She was on Triple Crown Lite but we changed her over to the County Acres about two months ago. Could this be part of the problem? She was getting less grain on the the lite but also would knock you down for the hay and her weight was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    Does any know what the ingredients are in Ulcer Formula by Progressive?

I can't seem to find it on there site. Thx!
    I read the ingredients but left the container in the barn. It's an odd list. Here's what I remember, not in the correct order.

Forage products, processed grain byproducts, animal protein products (think it's whey), plant protein products, molasses products, chicory root, vit e, zinc, methionine, dl methionine, lysine ... a couple other things I can't recall.

Chicory is said to improve appetite and neutralize stomach acid.

If your horse is over 1200 pounds, you could have the barn give him all his grain at one time, along with a liquid or powder antacid - Pro CMC/ U-gard 2X, etc., AFTER he's eaten some hay.

Soaked beet pulp with no molasses, or soaked alfalfa cubes for the other meals.
    I've recently started with soaked beet pulp, after using soaked hay cubes for several years, and I truly think it's helping my horse's ulcers/ cribbing (I'm 95% positive the cribbing is an ulcer-related issue).
    I'm using a several pounds of beet pulp pellets with 1.5 - 2 pounds of alfalfa pellets, soaked for 10 hours, with a multi-vitamin to replace 1/2 of his daily amount of Strategy.

He gets 1/4 tube of Ulcergard every other day when not in work. He's 22 and began cribbing at age 14 when he was stalled and on a poor feeding schedule.