The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default E-Gard Paste: generic omeprazole that makes it through the stomach!

Have you guys heard of this?
    http://www.equine.omeprazoledirect.com/

It is a generic omeprazole paste. It comes in 6.15 gram tubes versus the 2.28 gram GG and UG tubes. The cost is about $30 a tube, but given that the tube is 3x the size, it costs 1/3 less than Merial's products. Their caplets are cheaper yet - 700 mg. doses, which are equivalent to more than 1/4 tube of GG or UG - 28 doses for 40 dollars. I'm all for generics, but don't love the idea of compounds, so this is very intriguing.

NO PERSCRIPTION required.

FREE shipping.

So help me out - what the heck am I missing here?
    Last edited by Auventera Two; Mar. 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    So help me out - what the heck am I missing here?
    How about the fact that omeprazole cannot get through the stomach environment without a buffer to protect it?

This appears to be no different that ponymeds.com. These people manufacture/purchase omeprazole off shore and act as brokers for US clients.

The site says it is encapsulated to get it through the stomach. That was the first thing I looked for

Quote:

"The active ingredient is encapsulated to ensure that it passes through the acid stomach before entering the intestine where it then dissolves."

You have to click on the little "Read More" button next to the paste tubes on the home page.

This is why I'm so surprised. Up until now I thought that Merial held the patent and the others were ineffective because they would never make it through the stomach. The site says this product was just launched.

Merial has a patent on THEIR buffering system for THEIR prescription-only product. But that doesnt' mean other buffering systems aren't out there.

Sounds promising--I'd call and ask for their clinical data on the buffering system and look very closely at it. The omeprazole is not in question, it's getting it where it needs to go. Although I'm not convinced that the scare tactics Merial uses (omeprazole won't work at all unless you use ours!) is completely founded in science.
    Click here before you buy.

Have you read Merial's patent? I did. The patent is for a paste form of omeprazole. It does not mention a buffer at all.

Honestly, the site seems shady to me. Off line live chat, most of the "contact us" links are broken, and their FAQ page instrusts you to please contact them rather than your credit card company if you have problems.

At the very least, what they're doing is illegal and in direct violation of Merial's patent. If it IS a legit website and product (I have my doubts) I can't imagine they'll be around for long.

If Merial has the only right to a paste form of omeprazole, then why aren't they going after Ulcergard? You can only patent a drug or a delivery system, not an entire means of dosing something.

So seriously this product is brand new? Or has it been here all along and I didn't know it? I'm curious why I've never seen it mentioned before.

What I don't like is that in their money back guarantee they say that they will refund your money if you are unhappy for any reason but they will never sell to you again after that. That doesn't seem legit.

The drug is mfg. in India, that much is in the FAQs. They say India is the largest pharmaceutical manufacturing country, is that true deltawave? I had not heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    If Merial has the only right to a paste form of omeprazole, then why aren't they going after Ulcergard? You can only patent a drug or a delivery system, not an entire means of dosing something.
    What? They're not going after ulcergard because they own that product. I'm really not sure what you're trying to say. I'm sure you know that Merial produces Ulcergard, but it sounds like you think it's another company from your statement above.

Here are the claims on the patent.

What is claimed is:

1. A stable, ready-to-use pharmaceutical paste composition for oral administration which comprises: a proton pump inhibitor, a thickening agent, a basifying agent, and a hydrophobic oily liquid vehicle.

2. A composition of claim 1 wherein said proton pump inhibitor is omeprazole.

3. A composition of claim 1 wherein said thickening agent is hydrogenated castor oil.

4. A composition of claim 1 wherein said hydrophobic liquid vehicle is capric/caprylic triglyceride.

5. A composition of claim 2 wherein said basifying agent is potassium sorbate.

6. A composition of claim 1 wherein said proton pump inhibitor is about 1 to about 35% by weight, and the thickening agent is about 2 to about 9% by weight.

7. A composition of claim 6 wherein said proton pump inhibitor is omeprazole, said thickening agent is hydrogenated castor oil, and the hydrophobic liquid vehicle is capric/caprylic triglyceride.

8. A composition of claim 1 wherein said proton pump inhibitor is omeprazole, said thickening agent is hydrogenated castor oil, said hydrophobic oil is capric/caprylic triglyceride, and said basifying agent is potassium sorbate.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Have you read Merial's patent? I did. The patent is for a paste form of omeprazole. It does not mention a buffer at all.

Honestly, the site seems shady to me. Off line live chat, most of the "contact us" links are broken, and their FAQ page instrusts you to please contact them rather than your credit card company if you have problems.

At the very least, what they're doing is illegal and in direct violation of Merial's patent. If it IS a legit website and product (I have my doubts) I can't imagine they'll be around for long.
    No, I haven't seen the patent. Where do you find it?

I didn't find the links broken. I just clicked every one and they all work fine. There are phone numbers too, but I didn't try those. The word "Inquiry" is mispelled as "Enquiry" which is weird though.

Add: Ok, just called the toll free # and it says it is a forwarding voice mail box - leave a message. I did, but this seems very fishy.

Ulcergard is also made by Merial.

Enquiry is how they spell Inquiry overseas, if I'm not mistaken. Might be an offshore company.

So their patent is on that blend of products to serve as their base for delivery. Doesn't mean another product couldn't be used perfectly legitimately, for instance another sort of oil, another base compound, another lipid product, etc.

No, I haven't seen the patent. Where do you find it?

I didn't find the links broken. I just clicked every one and they all work fine. There are phone numbers too, but I didn't try those. The word "Inquiry" is mispelled as "Enquiry" which is weird though.
    Google patent search tool. The patent #s in the Gastrogard insert are 4255431 and 5708017.

I definitely hit a couple 404s trying to get to the contact us page.

Merial owns Ulcergard don't they? They wouldn't go after themselves.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Found this on their human omeprazole page:

Your order will be shipped by airmail.
    It will take 6 to 21 days to arrive.
    It will arrive in a plain, unmarked envelope.

Airmail - plain, unmarked envelope, why the secrecy?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Google patent search tool. The patent #s in the Gastrogard insert are 4255431 and 5708017.

I definitely hit a couple 404s trying to get to the contact us page.
    I've been clicking every link on their site, and I did find one broken link, but all others work. You can get to the Contact Page and then all the links on there work. I wonder if their site is not compatible with certain browser versions?

Boy it would be cool if this was legit, but I'm having doubts.

I've been clicking every link on their site, and I did find one broken link, but all others work. You can get to the Contact Page and then all the links on there work. I wonder if their site is not compatible with certain browser versions?
    Just went to look again, and what doesn't work is the Contact Us in the grey box under the picture.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if this is legit. It seems very fishy.

So their patent is on that blend of products to serve as their base for delivery. Doesn't mean another product couldn't be used perfectly legitimately, for instance another sort of oil, another base compound, another lipid product, etc.
    No. Did you read the patent? Did you see where it talks about how various oils, bases, lipids etc can be used and still fall under the scope of the patent? The following examples are provided to more fully illustrate the invention, and shall not be construed as limiting the scope of the invention in any manner

Not competely on topic, but the generic powdered version of omeprazole that I use definatly works. I do not know if it has a carrying agent, but it has been proven with scoping before and after use.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Not competely on topic, but the generic powdered version of omeprazole that I use definatly works. I do not know if it has a carrying agent, but it has been proven with scoping before and after use.
    From where? Because the stuff from myprecisionpharmacy.com did less than nothing for Blush.