The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    I'm gratified that you explained that this wasn't your rig and you weren't driving. However, you were in the truck with the hauler, right? You could feel the rig moving about, right? I understand that maneuvering a rig in heavy traffic is tough, but I'd do whatever it took to check on my horses if I heard or felt commotion in the trailer.

So don't be so defensive when someone rightly points out an oversight. Learn from the experience and move on. Hope your mare feels better.
    I guess I didn't read about the commotion part. If there was a commotion -unless I did a sudden brake or accelareted hard or changed lanes very suddenly(I try hard not to-but sometimes you have to)-I would want to check-once I can safely pull over. Even otherwise, I try and check as often as I can. Just in LA some of the freeways, I wouldn't feel safe pulling over my car . Although where I am now is great-not much traffic.

I guess folks are upset, because it is framed as a slant trailer issue. Stuff happens-acknowledge it and move on. Nobody is perfect-if you acknowlegde it and move on, nobody will be looking at you and hope your mare gets better soon.

It's not just people from another board who are shocked and disheartened by the lack of accountability here.

Hope the mare feels better.

Can I ask again why the second horse wasn't tied or tied so long that he could reach the mare with his teeth, broken divider or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Can I ask again why the second horse wasn't tied or tied so long that he could reach the mare with his teeth, broken divider or not?
    I think your answer is here:

didn’t measure the length of the trailer ties that were just a store bough trailer ties with the safety snap. The shorter tie and the solid divider would off helped.

Thanks, Pandora. Surely missed that.

I don't see where anyone was nasty. It appears that the OP agreed with the comments anyway because she went back and edited the original post to reflect exactly what was written in the posts she claims not to have read

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    I guess I didn't read about the commotion part.
    Because I didn't write about "commotion". I guess the story is getting "embellished". We did hear some stumping, just a regular stumping that horses do. Nothing unusual that would make us go "huh"?

As I already mentioned, we did check on our horses thru the windows, didn't see anything, but may be we were not looking at the problem area. Next time I make sure to look closer.

Thank you to all who sent healing thoughts for my mare. (her pic is in my profile)

PS: actually if you look at the white saddle pad - that's about where she ended up with nibbles, right under it and about the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post

So don't be so defensive when someone rightly points out an oversight. Learn from the experience and move on. Hope your mare feels better.
    Bashing someone almost to the point of calling them a freakin idiot is much different that pointing out an oversight.

What is sad - that this kind of attacking will discourage other people who have gone through something and have valuable advice to offer and probably won't post due to the certain few that chimed in.

I had a QH who would always kick and get unsettled when the trailer stopped.
    What was I suppose to do? Run out and check him at every red light or stop sign?
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    I can’t see some of the posts here since those uses are on my “ignore” list, but I can imagine they are happy to shred me apart and write all kind of lies and libel about me. Nothing new, this is what they live for.

and- mate you told us not us telling you stupid does what stupid do

I wasn’t the one who was driving that trailer,
    no but your the horses owner hich makes you responsible for there welfare in any given
    situation

trailer wasn’t mine either,

doesnt matter whos is it -- horse belongs to you

don’t know what make her trailer is.

doesnt matter what make it is , as i see it was mate which you call proffessional as i take it in the same proffession as yourself as in a a judge which
    a-- means both of you should have a decent amount of horse knowledge
    b- if she was proffessional trnasporting company whould be registered as such and the transportation offer should be in completely working order both inside and out

I paid a professional to give my mare a ride in her trailer
    a matey -- no doubt which under some laws cant unless have operators license accept any monies for transportation -- here its unlawful unless you are a regisitered operator of equine transportation

with her youngster since we were going to the same place.
    like i said going with a mate not a proffessional transporter

She is excellent with trailering-------- really like you she lacks basic horse management and welfare policy of ow to look after your horses during transport and how one should check that the transport is in full working order both inside

the transport had missing bits -------- ssome porffessionals horse people you are

. We trailered together our horses before just fine.
    no they dont as you never offered any water or hay or stopped to think they were having prolems
    yet you felt they did and didnt have the balls to go out and have a look
    you did what i class as the unthinkable -- you ignored them

We did check on them, both were tied up and looked just fine. Some of the California's freeways do not even have a shoulder, but only 6 lanes of traffic. With the whole freeway closed b/c of fatal drive by shooting of the local rap artist, it was a hectic situation. To unload them was out of the question.
    no you didnt in nest breaht you just looked in a window

but you didnt offer them anything extra so they wouldnt chew or misbahaved
    you never thought out of your thinking box

[edit]

But I hope that others can learn on my mistake and prevent their horses from being bitten/nibbled on. I didn’t notice that the bar was missing and didn’t measure the length of the trailer ties that were just a store bough trailer ties with the safety snap. The shorter tie and the solid divider would off helped.

you mean to say you didnt tie your horses up correctly -- and didnt offer nay portective wear
    of the horse like poll guard rugs and travelling boots and a tail bandaged unreal

suro look closely at your horses sides (shoulders, bellies) for a very small penny to quarter sized bites/nibbles. You can not see them ASAP, since they do not swell up right away and everything looks just normal. But when they do swell up it's easy to notice them. There is no guarantee that you can see those nibbles from the window, since it can be dark in the trailer when you are heading back home after a day of riding. Still the best thing to do is to have a solid divider and short enough trailer tie.
    and -------its your horse matey no ones elses

how much do your horses mean to you,

give over its dark so you didnt look--- that happens at night when sun goes in and moon comes out lots of people compete in all kinds of lights and weathers and most people
    stop check and look and makesure all is well so horses have a nice journey and are happy and contented
    some judge and horse person you are if you cant afford or havent the basic clue of seeing how your horses are when in transport and to provide a compete proffessional or have a decent legal transporter to put them in -- then dont go ------ sheeesh
    next time - use your head and dont take horses for granted that oooh they gonna be ok

and put your so called judge back in the box of beginner and start using commonsense
    think more- next time you might not get of so lucky as few bites
    and if you havent got transport then use a proper company thats registered

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 15, 2009 at 09:08 AM.

I discussed the topic of the post. I outlined my feelings about the negligence of the OP in this circumstance. I highlighted my concern for the horses and what I consider to be responsible hauling framed by my experiences. I also pointed out things the OP said which I considered examples of her not taking responsitilbity for what happend at the time nor even when she posted the thread. Most people on the thread generally agree with me. Since then, as was pointed out, she has edited her post. I am glad she seems to have gleaned the essence of the posts she claims not to have read. Belittling other poster's opinions on her topic like this does her little servcie.

I didn't bash anyone. [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 15, 2009 at 08:50 AM.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

What a nasty situation for your poor mare. Hope she's healing.

Please, though. STAMPING. Not stumping.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

If I have to haul through a big city I try to have "Plan B' if I think I am going to hit a rush hour situation. I will take an outer loop even if it takes more time. It can just be such a nightmare if you get stuck in a rush hour situation, especially if hauling without an air conditioned trailer during any summer months through the south or southwest.

I do check my horses frequently though. It is very easy to put on the hand brake, jump out and go check. Most people are very understanding on the highway during traffic that has slowed to a crawl because it seems to offer a break from the monotony. I've had all kinds of people lean out their window and say hi while I do a speedy horse check. Also helps if you have to move over in the lanes ... people know you are at least trying to take care of horses. It helps to be friendly without being too friendly.

Stomping works, too.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I do check my horses frequently though. It is very easy to put on the hand brake, jump out and go check. Most people are very understanding on the highway during traffic that has slowed to a crawl because it seems to offer a break from the monotony. I've had all kinds of people lean out their window and say hi while I do a speedy horse check.
    Yes it's easy to pull over on most any freeway in California. My trainer did on the San Diego freeway and it was no big deal. Stop and go traffic. There was an accident up ahead of us. It is a pain merging back on, but generally people are nice and will let you go.

When we pulled over, I was out on the freeway side, throwing some carrots into my mare. Some guy offered me a pickle to give to my horse.

I guess because you are a judge OP, I thought you'd be a more conscientious horse person. Not a pile on, but this is purely owner error, not slant load problem. Actually the trailer has nothing to do with this situation.

No matter where you are, you don't have to leave a horse unattended for three hours. You just don't.

OP: Your mare is gorgeous!! I hope she's feeling better from her bite welts.
    It sounds like you got out, checked through the windows and saw nothing out of the ordinary (someone under the divider, wraps coming off, someone loose), correct? If this is the case, then sure, before you loaded the trailers you could have made sure the trailer tie was a bit tighter/made a make-shift barrier where the missing pole was with vet wrap or something. However, horses are inventive creatures... they will get into something even if you put them in a padded stall! Unless you jumped in the trailer and checked each horse individually, it would be really hard to see bite marks or scratches... and this is why I hate slant loads - it makes it hard and dangerous to check on horses individually during traffic jams.

DA, I'm sorry you're not perfect . Apparently none of us can ever be good enough haulers... When I got stuck in traffic in 2004 in Nashville because John Kerry was driving into town, holy smokes it took 2 HOURS to get off the highway to find a place to park until the traffic had subsided. We had to stop in the ghetto in a dilapidated park. There's just no easy way to deal with traffic and horses.

I do not understand how being a judge means you should behave in a special way or not make mistakes. The OP has an interesting posting history on both BBs but what matters now is her horse.

Some horses stomp when traffic stops so you might not think to check on them. You wouldn't pull over randomly while driving and check on them unless you stopped for gas or food. Horses stay in pastures for hours, stalls for hours, etc and nobody watches them. It really only takes a second for a horse to do something stupid.

Hell I know someone who felt the trailer rock a bit, then felt it go fine and kept driving. At her destination she found that her horse had went down in the trailer, flipped over, gotten up, and ended up facing backwards in the trailer. She just thought he started kicking when she stopped at a light.

Once while hauling my horse we HIT someone who pulled in front of us in rush hour. It was a slow bump but it was awful scary not being able to stop in time. We were in a panic and tried and tried and tried to pull over but nobody would let us. The problem solved itself when that person just took off down an exit ramp. We think they knew it was their fault or didn't have insurance and just left.

Blaming the owner for being neglectful is pretty harsh. She made a mistake and now she knows better. She feels pretty awful about what happened to her mare and she will learn in the future. Nobody deserves to be beaten while they are down, even if they have some nasty behavior from this or another BB.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Please, though. STAMPING. Not stumping.
    This was making me a little crazy too, however, from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stumping :

v. intr.

1. To walk heavily or clumsily.
    One of the lessons of history is that Nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
    - Will Durant

[edit]

I am beginning to feel like this board consists of mainly crabby [peaple] that think they know freaking everything about horses and GOD FORBID a mistake be admitted then the person who made it must be chided and scolded relentlessly. It is a bit riddiculous.

& you guys complain about us teenagers?!?!?!?! seriously, GROW UP.

to the OP: jingling for your mare and sorry everyone is being so snotty to you.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 15, 2009 at 09:10 AM.
    Horse power

Horse" pow`er\ (Noun) The extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by brightwhitestockings View Post
    I am beginning to feel like this board consists of mainly crabby [peple] that think they know freaking everything about horses and GOD FORBID a mistake be admitted then the person who made it must be chided and scolded relentlessly. It is a bit riddiculous.

& you guys complain about us teenagers?!?!?!?! seriously, GROW UP.

to the OP: jingling for your mare and sorry everyone is being so snotty to you.

Best. Post. Ever.

I believe the OP is foreign which explains the stamping. She is quite... opinionated on some BBs but still an awful thing to happen.

Some friends of mine got into a head on collision when a sportscar crossed a divided highway and ended up under their truck (it actually created a new law about reckless driving because it invovled speeding cars chasing each other). My friends ended up getting airlifted and their horses (including a stallion) stayed on the trailer in the middle of the highway for SIX hours with no horse people around until arrangements could me made, traffic could be blocked, and the horses could be unloaded and loaded onto another trailer.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 15, 2009 at 09:11 AM.

For goodness sakes! What is it with some folks thinking its difficult checking on horses when you're travelling.

Get a cctv and install the cameras in the trailer and the viewer in the vehicle......

You'll find instructions here: www.horsetransportationfordummies.com

Sorted!

I doubt folks would have bothered making much comment had the OP not come on suggesting it was something to do with a slant or herringbone loading arrangement that caused her horses injury.

Seems though that was actually caused it was a load of stupid mistakes.

Though of course by now the original posting has been edited so it doesn't read at all like it did earlier in the day. Had she initially titled the thread "Oh boy do I feel responsible" or "I wish I'd taken more care" or even to how it's now been edited then the postings would no doubt have been different.

Though I may well have still said that it seems to me that common sense isn't so common any more and that personally speaking if I'd done what the OP did I'd be gutted and mortiphied. I'd be so utterly and totally ashamed that for sure I'd not be telling the whole of cyberspace but then it takes all sorts.

IMO claiming expertise in horses e.g. being a trainer or a judge or whatever implies a modicum of knowledge and a reputation and for sure in my world I'd expect it to mean knowing how to hire a professional transportation company if hiring is what you do and also how to travel horses safely and ensure you can check on them if needs must. Now I don't know the OP from Adam and didn't know she was a judge or whatever and I still don't know what in or whatever. But it just reinforces my initial opinion that being embarrassed and silent might have been better in the circumstances.

The suggestion that folks post their opinion because they're flocking to so do because they've been told to on another board is absurd and laughable! It's a bulletin board. Someone starts a thread. Others reply. It's how it works!

The suggestion that this happened because the horses were slant loaded is stark staring bonkers!

Some friends of mine got into a head on collision when a sportscar crossed a divided highway and ended up under their truck (it actually created a new law about reckless driving because it invovled speeding cars chasing each other). My friends ended up getting airlifted and their horses (including a stallion) stayed on the trailer in the middle of the highway for SIX hours until arrangements could me made, traffic could be blocked, and the horses could be unloaded and loaded onto another trailer.
    Um, how is this the same? They had to stay there for six hours while people were attending to them right? You're not talking about the same thing.

The OP chose not to check on her horses for three hours. Not the same at all.

ETA:

Though of course by now the original posting has been edited so it doesn't read at all like it did earlier in the day. Had she titled the thread "Oh boy do I feel responsible" or "I wish I'd taken more care" the postings would no doubt have been different.
    Very true.