The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suppliment to speed up shedding?

Is there anything that will speed up the shedding process? I really don't want to body clip my horse as he turns a very funny color...does anyone know of anything that will help him shed out quicker?

Sunlight and a shedding blade

Just like this one:

http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/S...ade-(260).aspx

Elbow grease and work. More hair comes out when they're all warmed up after a ride.

thanks...I should have noted that I curry and use the shedding blade on him almost daily, I wasn't sure if there was something that I could feed to speed up the shedding.

I started my guy on Omega Horseshine two months ago and I feel like it helped him shed out earlier and quicker. I haven't changed my grooming pattern/shedding routine other than that.

Anything with Flax in it. Good nutrition in general will facilitate healthy shedding. It never happens fast enough, though....

When I bought a new curry comb a couple of weeks ago, the woman at the tack shop suggested some supplement that would "take the winter coat off just like <snap fingers> that."

I said thanks, but I'll go the natural route-- elbow grease and sunlight.

But, evidently, there is something out there being marketed for this purpose.
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

Not sure how true this is, but a breeder once told me to keep them under lights at night. She was doing it to trigger her mares' heat cycles, but claimed that it also caused them to turn loose their winter hair faster. I use Healthy Hair Care conditioner to spray lightly across their coat and work it in with a curry. My thinking is that the skin softners will help me pull the hair off quicker. I'm probably just being silly in thinking this helps, but it does make my girl nice and shiny, and she smells better. As far as supplements, a company called Dax makes a feed through supplement called Bloom that really improves the hair quality.

Thumbs up

I have the blankets off of mine during the daylight hours. Then blanket at night. I have always found that to help them shed out. I also increase the corn oil in their feed to help with dry itchy shedding.

I love shedding them out - But I always use a shop vac with a curry attachment to keep it cleaner/neater.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

ha, the title made me chuckle... I sure wish I could speed up shedding too shedding blade and time, lots o time, and my paddock has a ton of trees the boys can itch on all day long, do some of the work for me.

Does SmartPak carry elbow grease?
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Omega Horseshine claims to help shed old coats faster. Just started mine on it in December, so I'll see if it helps.

[QUOTE=Hunter DQ;3945618]Not sure how true this is, but a breeder once told me to keep them under lights at night. ]

We keep lights on at night until 10/11 starting early fall then blanket fairly heavy when the weather turns cool. Ours do not grow a winter coat, or at least not much of one, this way. Also, they shed into summer coats a few weeks ago. It would be a great solution for next year. . . I don't know how well it would work to help him shed out quickly now. As far as a great shedding tool--I have some kind of stone made by Epona that is wonderful, easy to use, doesn't make the hair fly all over the place.

Maybe this is all B.S., and I've bought into it, but I have one mare who just will not let go of her winter coat. Right now, all her hair is hanging on tight, and my other 2 have already shed out.

So last year, she was looking particularly ratty, (and this was April-May, months after she should have shed) and I jumped on the BOSS bandwagon. I started using it because her coat was stiff and crunchy and dull; I wasn't expecting it to do anything about shedding. Well, within 2 weeks, she was slick and shiny, with just a few little sunburned hairs on her back. In a couple months, those were gone too.

I've had her on flax for about a week and a half right now, and if I don't see her coat loosening up soon, I'm going to put her back on the BOSS and see what happens. Maybe last year was just about timing, maybe it was a coincidence--I don't know. But it sure seemed like the BOSS was what did it.

Oil of olecranon.
    Click here before you buy.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Oil of olecranon.
    Along with Tincture of Time!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by karens View Post
    Is there anything that will speed up the shedding process? I really don't want to body clip my horse as he turns a very funny color...does anyone know of anything that will help him shed out quicker?
    Light.

G.

Flax is very good, although it takes more than a week or two to work.

A Powerpack can help as well.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Elbow grease.
    The old timers had some formaldehyde trick but I've only ever heard vague mention of it, and its not something I really wanted to find out about. But they swore it worked.