The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you shrink Tailored Sportsman breeches?

I bought a pair on ebay a size larger than I normally where because, um, the old ones are getting pretty tight The new pair is WAY too big. I'm wondering if I can wash them and maybe they'll shrink.

OHHHH yeah. Just run them through the wash, they'll shrink.
    If you aren't registered to vote, click here for a list of registration deadlines by state and links to get registered!!

I would be worried about the knee patches. Even if you could shrink the fabric, it would then pucker up around the knee patches. Or, the kneepatches could get hard and ruined if you wash the breeches trying to shrink the fabric.

I'd wear 'em with a belt for schooling, eat some more donuts, or re-sell them on ebay
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    eat some more donuts
    everyone could use some more donuts. Yummm
    Rebel Without Cash!

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    I would be worried about the knee patches. Even if you could shrink the fabric, it would then pucker up around the knee patches. Or, the kneepatches could get hard and ruined if you wash the breeches trying to shrink the fabric.

I'd wear 'em with a belt for schooling, eat some more donuts, or re-sell them on ebay

OMG - I cannot have any more donuts!!!

I didn't pay that much for them so I think I'll try washing them. Did I mention they are white? I was going to try some eventing......

You could also get them taken in.

Tailored Sportsman are "tailored" literally - so they are designed to be easily taken in by any tailor.

I washed mine on warm by accident once & they shrunk - no ill effects on the knee patches, but I now refer to them as my "skinny girl" show pants!?!

Take them to the dry cleaner.. they will shrink

I had to stop taking mine to the drycleaner after they shrunk three pairs of mine! you think i would learn after the first time?

the guy at the tack store told me to just wash them in the washind machine turned inside out ( which im too lazy to do ) and then hang them to dry.. doing it that way they dont shrink however i dry my ts schooling breeches in the dryer and im sure that has caused them to shrink, but it hasnt done any damage to the knee patches.

so take them to the dry cleaner or wash them in the washer turned inside out, and put them in the dryer.... either way they will shrink

OHHH this thread cracks me up, because I think it's the easiest thing in the world to shring those things accidentally. I have shrunk two pairs even washing them in a machine and line-drying...I take mine to the drycleaners and warn them that they are prone to shrinking and I've been OK with that so far (knock on wood.)
    Just throw 'em in the dryer - they'll shrink an entire size at least, I predict...and for the record, on the two pairs I shrunk, the knee patches were fine. I would just need to lose about 5 lbs, and they'd be show-ready.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

Umm, which TS?? 2-way, 4-way or cotton??
    Have them taken in, but do NOT let them cut the excess fabric out of the seams.
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

I wash my cotton and Royals in cold water/Wolite and they have all shrunk a little. If you need more than a 1/2 though, I'd take them to a tailor. Given their price, it's probably worth the investment.

If you wash them in warm water, they will shrink. I learned this the hard way a few years back--they came out clean just fit a little bit snugger. I bought them a tad big so it ended up okay,though.

I have a few pairs of the tailored low rise. I had used the lighter weight ones for the summer and had them dry cleaned plenty of times and even washed then line dryed, no shrinkage. Unfortunatley, they are made with such a large area for people with applebottoms, my little butt looks rediculous with them and when riding I prefer my breeches to be spandex tight, just much more comfortable for me. I threw them in the dryer and they have gone thu wash and dryer easily close to 20 times, shrunk to a certain point and stayed that small even after multiple dryings, they fit perfectly now and I do this to all my TS now.

Didn't read any of the responses, sorry if I am repeating anyone. If you dry them the knee patches will shrink considerably (more than the fabric). In other words do not dry them! Get them taken in. I bought a pair off ebay that were too big, got them taken in, and now they fit me perfectly.

There was a pair at a consignment shop that had been dried, they didn't look good at all.... I guarantee you that they didn't sell.

Weird. I wash mine in the washing machine [cold water] and then throw them in the dryer, and I've never had them shrink on me
    Rebel Without Cash!

They are supposedly 4-way stretch Supreme Hunter Breech.
    47% Rayon, 48% Nylon, 5% Lycra.

So, if anyone knows, what other breeches fit like the TS? I love the way my old TS's fit me, well, 5-10 lbs ago they fit great What other breeches should I try?

Thank you! I always thought mine were getting too tight because I was expanding! Now I know the truth! they DO shrink!!! I stopped buying them because I couldn't stand to have them be too tight the next time....

You should not have any problem getting them to be smaller
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

I am SO glad someone started this thread because I was about to. I have 2 pairs of the 4 way stretch that are so comfortable but clearly a size too big. Can't splurge for another pair so was hoping that they could be taken in relatively easily. Legs feel great but they are way loose in tummy/butt region.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Destination Unknown Guest

Oh trust me, they will certainly shrink. Mine did, they just got really short and a bit tighter. Dont worry, They will fit.