The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Barn is 50 miles away (60-ish minutes even during rush hour since I am generally going the opposite direction of people who are rushing). I make specific barn days which are 4-5 days a week depending on my teaching schedule. I think I would go crazy if I tried for more over time. The saving grace in my case is an extremely untraditional work schedule that allows me to ride in the mornings. At the moment I have to full days "off" during the week. The quid pro quo is that I teach at night which gives me long days that are essentially the reverse of people who work normal hours. Plus, I end up doing a lot of work on the weekend (which reminds me that I should be grading evil chemistry tests instead of typing this).
    The Evil Chem Prof

It works for me because the barn is dog friendly. I couldn't do all of it, if it wasn't.

I take the dogs FAR AWAY from the barn and walk them for 2 hours on the property. Bring them back, water them and let them sleep in the Jeep while I ride horse 1. Then I let them out of the car to use the bathroom while I tack horse 2...put them back in..ride horse 2...then let them out again while I'm untacking/packing up. If I have time, I'll take them out for another 30 minutes before I leave. (I have high energy kids)

I am so very grateful that our barn allows dogs...I want to make sure mine aren't in anyone's way.

As for the house work..I'm no Martha Stewart......I manage to get the dishes, laundry, vaccuming, bathrooms done at least once a week....the house is the part of my life that suffers...no doubt.

Well, this is definitely temporary for us...though temporarly may mean up to a year or more since I'm on a lot of wait lists.

The blanket thing is rather non-negotiable. I offered to pay more, it's just not a service they provide. So it's hairy. (so to speak)

I left early today and just groomed and let them run around in the indoor since the paddocs are hock deep mud at this point. They had fun.

I would like to work 5 to 1 but unfortuanately, we already have 2 guys on that schedule so i have to stay at least til 5 to cover our clients. More than half of my department is gone by 2pm. Someone has to hold down the fort.

Good ideas all. Thank you!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I wait until my husband leaves for work at 9 am.
    At 10:30 I meet my mom at the gym. I work out, then change into riding gear.
    I'm usually at the barn no later than 12:15, 12:30. I ride until about 3.
    Come home, do housework, make dinner, etc.

I am in a similar situation. I work 45-60 minutes from my house, the barn is 60 miles from work, and about 40 minutes from my house.

I can't offer a lot of advice as I haven't really got a schedule down yet, definitely my goal for this year as I am trying to get back up to my normal riding schedule.

I am at work by 6:30-7 but my problem is getting out of there at a normal time and not 5/6ish. By that point traffic is too awful and I am too tired to make the drive out there.

I am keeping them that far out because the care is over the top and I have no worries about them when I am away traveling, etc. They are very happy and so that makes me happy. We are building a barn at my father's so that will put them a little closer and I will need to be more hands on.

Trying to find that work/life balance is so difficult. I am hoping, when it is a little warmer, to start hitting the barn at 6am and then getting into the office later. I can knock out the riding first thing and then any issues that pop up won't affect it.

There really is never enough time in the day! But I am going insane not exercising and not riding.
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

BuddyRoo, do you have a pal at the barn who would do the blanketing change for you? Not the owner or manager, but a fellow boarder?
    Proud member of Appendix QH clique

Not yet. I've only run into one other gal while I've been out there. She said she's been there 3 mos and it was the first time she'd ever shared the arena with someone! Eeek! I think a lot of the boarders are students and they don't get up there much. If I ever run into someone, I would definitely chat them up and see about something like that.

I've been there in the morning, early afternoon and in the evenings and still...only run into that one person.

Thanks for the ideas. Riding in the morning just might be the answer too...then I know it's done. That seems to be about the only part of the day that I can really tap into for some extra time. Maybe it's just me, but I swear I was able to juggle a lot more when I was in college and just out. Now I feel like the thought of getting up at 4 or 5am is about the worst thing I've ever heard of! LOL

Thanks again!

Wink

Buddyroo

My guy is over an hours drive each way. I get there usually 3x a week since he is semi-retired. The farm is super with care. I pay to have him groomed on some of the days I cannot get there.

May I suggest you leave your chores to the weekend (laundry, etc)? That way when you get home at 10-11pm you can be in bed before or at 12 midnight, up at 7am, which is sufficient sleep for most folks.

I used to keep him 45 min away and went out weekends and two weeknights. That was the ONLY thing I did on those weeknights. Again, paid for grooming if needed and blanketing was part of board fees.

Basically, you have to sacrafice in other parts of your life. I know often I just get to chat with my BF (enroute to barn via handsfree cell call)- have not seen him in over 2 weeks. Hard choices have to be made. I know that I cannot have a dog (would not be fair to him to sit home alone) but you have a roomate so you should be able to manage that.

Best of luck- hopefully you are young and can keep up the energy level!!!
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

It's a 45 to 50 minute drive to the barn for me. Work is 30 to 75 minutes (depending on the time of day) in the other direction. I realized pretty quickly that I am just not going to be able to work and ride on the same day. I work 3 days per week, so I ride 4 days per week. Maresy is in training and gets worked two other days as well. I would *love* to have her closer, but this is the best I can do for now.

This week I'm going for the EOD thing...went yesterday, going tomorrow, Thurs, and for sure next Sunday. And if I can, Sat as well.

Going to try to get my house work, laundry, grocery shopping etc done tonight. Figure if I plan to have one night a week at home I can get quite a bit done and won't be rushing around all weekend.

I think the lack of true down time is what's bugging me right now. There's always something I feel like I *should* be doing.

So...based on your suggestions, I'm just going to ratchet down the expectations a bit and guarantee myself 3 days a week. I can work 2 horses 3 days a week and maybe throw in one more day as a "treat" when I have time. AND, I'm going to endeavor to get out of the office at a more reasonable hour. Chatted w/ the bossman today in fact.

Happy driving to all!

PS: I need two horses like I need a hole my head.

I am exhausted just reading your schedule......I guess my only question is why the 2 horses? I seem to remember something about the fact that one is easy, and one is difficult......?

But other than that, no comments as I know I couldn't handle your schedule! And the dog wouldn't be there.....I love dogs, but they are rather needy! I am more of a cat person...(altho I have 2 dogs).

But I do know about the feeling that there is always something to do.....that is how I feel about my farm. I feel guilty even sitting on the deck for a few minutes!

BF1? Why two? Because I'm an idiot.

I grew up with the idea that once you have a horse, you have it forever. I ALSO grew up not having to board. My first "boarding" experience was in N. TX and I had two horses at first. One mare who I'd had since she was born (bred on our farm back home) and my gelding (my BuddyRoo) who was in his late 20's. While I was there, I was asked to work/show another mare and when she came up for sale, I bought her. It was CHEAP to have horses down there...I worked from home...no big deal to ride in the a.m. after I did chores and ride again in the PM. Had a supportive SO who worked a lot--but I had help around the house and yard, no need to get cleaned up before work, etc. Got the dog back then.

And then the SO was no longer and I moved to MI. Eeek! Boarding is much more expensive and harder to find. My old man died in 2005 so I am now down to 2...and still have the dog who is my buddy...wouldn't trade him for anything. And I had a really awesome board situation for the last few years.

So...this is the first time I've really run into this challenge. If I didn't have horses right now, I wouldn't buy one. I'd lease. But my one girl will be 18 this year and she's not going anywhere...I'll keep her forever. The other...well...we'll see. Whenever I get to the point that I want to sell her, she pulls some sweetness and light out and I remember why I liked her way back when. LOL Good timing.

I'm making a big vat of my special spaghetti sauce tonight, having BF over for dinner, getting laundry done...roomie is gone for the evening so I've got the radio blasting and am cleaning floors. I feel better about this week already! Whoot!

I love a plan. A list. A schedule. Type A control freak much?

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Question to those of you who board 45-60 min away....

How do you organize your life and get your riding in?

I have two horses that I really want to keep in good work--finally have a lovely indoor to use! I work full time, I also tutor one to two evenings per week and work a few hours a weekend at a PT job (just 4 hours on Sat or Sun)

I own a home and have the yard/house work, laundry, etc thing to take care of plus my monster dog and a BF who lives 45 min the other direction.

It used to be that my barn was 5 min away, my dog could go with me so that doubled as doggy exercise and of course, in such close proximity, it was nothing to pop out and ride both or groom or whatever each day.

But now I find myself burning 2 hours and a lot of gas just doing the driving--making it a 4 hour thing if I work both horses. I'm sure there's a way to work it in and get all of the other responsibilities taken care of, I just haven't found it yet. Only been doing it a few weeks, but looking for a better way to manage time.

What's your schedule like?

My weekday schedule right now is going like this:
    7am up-walk dog, pack stuff for the day, get ready for work, etc. throw load of laundry in wash. Or if coming from BF's house, get up at 7 and drive home..home at 8am.
    8:30-head to office.
    Work til 6pm. If tutoring, til 7. Head to barn.
    Leave barn around 9-9:30
    Home at 10-10:30
    Eat dinner, throw laundry in dryer. Catch up on email, clean something, or head to BF's house.
    In bed around between 12 and 1.

I could probably pull that off every day during the week, but I get behind on the house work and feel like the dog is being neglected. So I've just been going every other day and scheduling that based on what I need to do with blankets on my older mare.

I have a roommate who will feed the monster at night and give him his meds at 7pm if I'm going to the barn or if I'm going down to my BF's for the night.

I would like to find a better "schedule" that would allow me to get things done and not feel so frazzled come Monday morning when it starts all over again.

So...I'm not married, no kids...should be cake. Tell me how you do it. To be honest, I think this is harder than when I leased property and did self care!
    Same boat here. Have three: one of my horses is in consistent work, one is retired but needs light hack/trail or something, and the baby needs handling. I've got the new house that needs a lot of work, dog and fiance (he's a lot of work too ) My barn is about 45-60 minutes from my house (depending on traffic) and my work is an hour metro ride from my house. Thankfully my work allows me to come in earlier and leave earlier most days. Here's my schedule:
    Night before (when I'm good and not too tired): pack lunch and get out work and barn clothes for next day
    Get up 5AM: walk dog, shower, get ready
    6-7AM: Commute to work
    7-3:30: Work (don't go out to eat which saves time and eat a big lunch)
    3:30-4:30: Commute home, quick change of clothes and let dog out, sometimes bring her with me if the barn won't be too crowded
    4:45-5:30: Commute to barn
    5:30-8:30/9:30ish: Ride and take care of the horses
    8:30/9:30-9:15/10:15: Commute home
    9:15/10:15-10/11: let the dog out if fiance didn't take her for her PM walk, grab an apple/small snack to eat for dinner, do some more chores, check email, all the little stuff, try to get to bed early

I've found little ways I can do some of the housework, like tossing in/changing a load of laundry while I let the dog out in the backyard. The key for me is to do lots of little things all the time. Like picking up or washing dishes right away, five minutes here or there.

Weekends I get up by 7 or 8 AM to spend 1/2 of one day cleaning the house. 1/2 of both weekend days are spent at the barn where I have more time to do things like clean tack, check supplements, etc (unless a competition). Then we try to do something with family or friends too.

My fiance is really understanding because he works full-time and is taking classes, so that makes it easier. Also, we live together so he can chip in with the dog and some chores. It's hard to leave work that early, especially because most of my coworkers do happy hours 1+/week, but I'd honestly rather be at the barn so whatever I do try to do that every once in a while to keep up the good face and do some networking.

It sounds like you've planned a similar schedule, just starting and ending later than me. I do feel a bit frazzled all the time, or that there's never enough time in the day, but I feel that way even if I don't go to the barn, so I figure it can't hurt If you start to feel tired, take a day off the barn. I'm the type of person that can't sit still though so I guess it works out.

I understand the dog part, especially since you go to your bf's for the night sometimes. What do you feel you can't get done around the house? Do you have a realistic to-do list with one or two things to get 'fixed up' every weekend? Don't try to do it all at once!

ETA: I tried keeping a weekly schedule, where I set certain barn days, but it didn't work. My work schedule varies sometimes (IT, so we have to be on-call sometimes or on-site for late migrations) and I don't always have notice, so I just try to go to the barn whenever possible. Sometimes that's 7 days a week, sometimes 4...
    Last edited by inquisitive; Mar. 17, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

I live 45 minutes to an hour from home to the farm and its about 40-45 minutes from work to the farm. Here is my schedule since I have a 5 year old to work 4 days a week myself, my trainer has him one day a week, and I lesson at night once a week.

6:00 am wake up shower ect.
    7:20 am leave for work
    8:00 am -4:30 PM work
    4:30 Pm leave for barn
    5:15 Pm arrive at farm ride/groom/lesson ect.
    6:30-7:00 PM leave farm depending on how long I rode/groomed ect.
    Home by 7:30-8:00 (not as much traffic at that time)
    8:00 PM - dinner/laundry ect
    10:30-11:00 bed

I have gotten so used to this scedule since I have done the same thing for years. As long as I am home by 8:30 at night I am fine that gives me a few hours to get stuff done.

If you wanted to get in 1 more day, consider going early in the morning 1 day a week. When it's not the dead of winter, I ride in the morning 1-2x per week to get in extra days. If you're only getting up early once or twice, it's not quite so painful. I've actually learned to love those days, too.

I boarded for a while at a place that was 45-50 minutes away and recently moved to a place that's 25-30 minutes away.

My riding schedule looks something like this:
    I ride Monday early morning before work, Tuesday evening after work, Wednesday I ride as it is my day off from work, I don't plan on riding Th or F as those are long work days. Then I ride Sat and Sun. Every 3rd weekend I work, and on those weekends, I also get up early and go ride before work.

My work schedule is something like this:
    Monday 8:30 - whenever - usually get out sometime early evening but last night I got out at 9:30 pm.
    Tuesday 7am-6pm
    Wed off
    Th 8-6
    F 8-6ish, sometimes later
    Every 3rd Sat/Sun 9-5 or 6 ish.

I'd add: I admit that I think I would have a hard time keeping 2 horses worked with this schedule. Currently I only have 1 horse.

Hey Broo...I drive right by DBH on my way to/from class (right now that's Monday nights), and I'll be next door 3-4 evenings/week working with pony I thought I had time to take on for training If any of the nights I'm up there aren't your "barn days" I'd be happy to stop out and throw a blanket on Chey (like now, when the evenings get chilly), if it's taken off in the AM?

Thanks Bess!

Got your email.