The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default slant vs. head to head??

We are looking at trailers, YEAH!! Now considering the pros and cons of slant vs. head to head trailers. Mostly likely going with a 4 horse, unless we find a really good deal on a 6 horse. Anyone wish to tell about their experinces with these two types? Which do you prefer?

One thing that keeps me going back to the head to head, is we event. So unless the horse is REALLY good about tying to the trailer, they are loaded when we are off walking courses or in between their rides. So some horses have to come on and off the trailer up to three times in one day. With a slant load that may become a bit more tricky.

Other thing is finding a slant load with a ramp. I love ramps! Some step ups seem high.

We are looking at 2005 and newer trailers.

We have a 3h GN slant.... i want a head to head or a trailer like our trainers 3h straight reverse. It's got a huge ramp and the three horses load straight backwards. It's a NICE setup!!

I feel like the trailer better in the straight loads... but that's IMO.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

I have to say that I love head to heads. My trainer had one when I was in college, and it was great. She had a 6 horse, and she could load a total of 7 or 8 if two were small (they would go in the middle and just tie to the rings inside). It was so easy for loading and unloading, and most horses loaded really easily. My favorite thing, and obviously the biggest perk of a head to head, was the ease of off loading just one or two horses, and leaving the rest put. Also, all of the horses seemed to travel really well, and the horses that like to ride backwards could. If you can afford to get a head to head, I absolutly would, and I am sure you won't be able to imagine how you survived without it!

Much prefer straight loads over slant loads.

Slant loads are generally for smaller horses. Head to heads work better for the bigger guys. Unless you have an 8' wide slant, general rule of thumb is over 15.3 or so, go to a straight stall.
    You will have about (and this will vary) 90" NOSE to TAIL in a slant and up to 90" CHEST to TAIL in a straight.
    You can have ramps put on behind slant trailer doors too, FYI.

I do not like slants at all. I prefer straight loads. I have had quite a few larger horses have problems with slant loads. Though one shipper I use has a custom 6 horse slant with extra large stalls that go all the way from top to bottom and a ramp that drops down from each of the slant stalls to unload without unloading every horse.

Default Are you willing to consider another alternative?

I have a combo stock by Titan. It's 16' on the floor, divided into two "stalls". You can get them made with a front exit door if desired. I have an emergency escape door, but some of my horses will use it as a regular load/unload door. My horses can be loaded straight or slant, can ride front or rear facing, and if there's just one in each compartment, they've even been known to lay down and get comfy. I find it much more versatile than either slant or straight, and as a bonus, it's open and welcoming for the young ones that aren't as keen on loading.

Neil at MidPlains Equipment is always happy to write up a quote for exactly the trailer you want. http://midplainsonline.com

Head-to-Head...no competition.

You can remove any horse at any time without shifting the crowd, lots of room. Leave two at home and you have 2 nice box stalls.

Head to Head.... hands down.

IF I needed one, I'd have an EquiSpirit in a heartbeat: http://www.equispirit.com/products/4horse.htm
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

We have a C & C 5 horse head to head. After using this trailer for 3 years, I would never go back to slant. It is so much safer for the horses and so much easier for the people. Really, no contest. We can set it up as box stalls or straight stalls. The horses load easily and haul wonderfully.

Most eventers have head-to-head trailers. I think it is because unless you are stabling, it is a PITA to keep loading and unloading horses between phases. When it is raining, you have a great area to hang out, too!

I LOVE my 4-horse Sooner h-t-h.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

I agree with the majority of the posts, head to head all the way. Slants are a PITA. The horse you have to remove is always in slot #1 and you have to unload everyone else. Plus our Large Marge mare hates slants. I'm pretty sure they make her claustrophobic.
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Head to head - no question. It's too hard to get to the middle horse on a 3 or more slant, if they're in trouble. That's beside the issue of loading/unloading every time you need one.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I lOVE my 4 horse h-t-h. I am going to miss it very much (I had to send it to be sold....damn economy)
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

We've owned both a slant load and currently have a 4 horse H-2-H. I totally agree with those who say there is no competition - head to head is the way to go! More room, easier loading and unloading, more ramps in ours as in both sides and in the rear. I've never had any major problems loading a horse on our head to head - the slant was a different story although I do have to say it did not have a ramp. I like to be able to get to any horse on any kind of lengthy trip and a head to head gives me plenty of room. I also now prefer a straight load over a slant load and my little two horse Trail-et is a straight load - there again, I can get to each horse. If you can afford a head to head, you'll be glad you bought it.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Head to head. Period. No question, no competition.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

The other issue to consider is that the horses don't do well in slant loads over time. They end up with physical problems because of the constant single way to stand in the trailer; they cannot "slant" the other way.

My vote is for the h-t-h, too, obviously.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Head to head!!! For all the reasons mentioned plus...they are GREAT to work out of in bad weather. Pull the horse into the middle section - tack up and back them into the stall until you're ready to go!! Makes a great place (company will come) to stand out of the rain or yuck!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Head to head, most definitely. I had a 4 horse slant for years, it was extra tall and wide, so it was big enough for warmbloods, but consider some of the problems I had: once a horse in the front stall started choking. She couldn't put her head down to get the hay out. I had to unload all the horses to get to her, in a very inconvenient place along a busy road. I love the fact with a head to head that I can unsnap the cross-ties and they can put their heads down to drink a bucket of water, cough out a piece of hay, etc. I had another horse bust out of her trailer tie and turn around (how I do not know) in the front stall. Again I had to unload ALL the horses to get to her.

We now have a six horse head to head (C & C) and the middle part is big enough to put a pony or small horse. There are two ramps (one back and one side) so if a horse won't go in one side, they will usually go in the other. For weekend shows or schooling shows, they can stand in the trailer, in their cross-ties and out of the weather.

No contest. Head to head all the way!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Another vote for H-to-H!! We have the choice of loading through the back or side, too. It's a nice option. I'm on my third one. The only thing about this last one that I'm not totally happy with is that it only has one side ramp. There's a large escape door on the driver's side.

Also, if you have one that needs extra space, you can remove the divider and give him a double stall. We do that in the front, so we don't have a problem with no butt bars in the back stalls and the safety factor. There's so much more you can do with a H-to-H!!
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar