The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Man am I pissed. When I wanted a pony in the garage I was told it was not possibe. Mom..Dad...you got some 'splaining to do...
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I dunno. I too would have liked a horse in the yard (about 1/2 acre) when I was a kid. But there are places where, whatever the law, it's just not appropriate because of increased population density since the last time the zoning was looked at, and because of a culture change since the last time a horse lived in the yard there. A Boston suburb could be one of those places, particularly if the owners live offsite. There's a suburban neighborhood near me that has that setup - the horses live on a block-sized lot with a run-in shed, nobody lives on the property. It seems to work for them (at least, they're not in the local newspaper) but that neighborhood is recent former farm country, and still has a fairly rural feel to it. That does make a difference. Country people hate when newcomers complain about the cows or the wildlife; it's the same situation in reverse when someone brings a farm animal to live in the garage in the 'burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Man am I pissed. When I wanted a pony in the garage I was told it was not possibe. Mom..Dad...you got some 'splaining to do...

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

There's always a party pooper who will find SOMETHING to whine about, no matter what the situation. These are the sort of folks that think when it rains, they're the only ones that get wet. They need to get over themselves.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    It is too much money to pay $500/month in board but it is not too much money to pay $20/day to the town until the permit goes thru?
    I wonder if they are really actually paying the $20.00 a day to the town. It is sometimes hard for towns to collect those fees, especially if they are fines. The people getting fined can appeal to the court and have a hearing and more often then not the court dismisses or greatly reduces the fine. Wouldn't keeping a horse without a permit be a fine?

When I was a kidlet I used to ride my horse home from the barn and keep her there overnight often enough. It was a 7 mile ride...didn't always want to make that ride back in the dark. Especially since there were a lot of shortcuts I took through some thick woods...visibility would have been nada. So she went either in the detached garage and once in the walk-out basement. Okay....mom wasn't so cool about going downstairs to put laundry in the machine and Blue nickering for breakfast.
    Neighbors all lined up back then on those sleepovers hoping for a pony ride. Adults included. Funny looking line with kids and their parents waiting for a ride. Blue never minded...each had a carrot, apple or sugar cube. (well, Dennis across the street brought cinnamon rolls for his ride)
    I can see being surprised...in this day and age things are a lot different. Back then neighbors all knew each other very well...watched each others' kids and all congregated outside for coffee together after dinner in summer. Kids played together in age groups all over the street in everyone's yards. Parents only complained when someone broke something...like an arm or a car window by accident. (my brother attempting an Evil Knievel jumping a Gremlin on his skateboard, LOL)
    It's a crying shame that neighbors can't just go over and chat about this stuff. Probably why I love our little town and neighborhood. We all know each other well enough to help out if needed, ignore anything that's not deadly and hang out and chat whenever possible. I'd move if I didn't have an area like that. If I want to be a Nation Of One...I'd move to a mountain top and live like a hermit. Now I love me some privacy....but not 100% of the time. Who the hell wants to live somewhere that you can't drop in at the neighbors and say, "So dude, what's up with the horse in the garage?" and then accept it when it's not going to affect you directly. In 5 years I've only had to "complain" twice to different neighbors...once when the kids right next door were setting off 1/4 sticks under 50 gallon drums (quick walk over and a "Hey Paul...knock it off or I'm telling your mom!") and just last week Doogie across the street went 6 straight hours on his ATV at the end of my driveway gunning the motor for fun. And that was solved with a "Hey Doogie...cool new toy! Now go drive it at your house and not mine! Come get some homemade cookies first....promised your mom some!"
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

One spring when I was living in a townhouse and boarding my horse, my lawnmower broke. The back yard had a 6' wooden privacy fence. So, I simply snuck my old guy over there for a few hours one night a week until the mower got fixed.

At least they are taking care of the mare, they are doing what a good equine owner is suppose to do, make the best of the situation, take care of the animal and they are looking for another place for her.

We have our "yard" fenced in here in VA, almost 3 acres of it, it is pretty much a dry lot now, and when we first moved in, not quite a year, I had my SOB neighbor from across the street banging on my door. When I opened it and asked what he needed after saying hello, he was red in the face, his kid behind him and demanded to know if I knew what MY HORSES were doing in the field. I looked around him and at that point they were all grazing (I have a gelding and two mares). Blinking I answered just that "grazing". He then screamed at me that my horses were mating and his children were witness to that and what was I going to do to stop them?!

Biting back a bark of laughter I tried to stay serious and shrugging said I would see what I could do. He came over one more time when it happened, as my QH mare is a real hooch when she is in season and my gelding just will not believe me when I told him Valentino he is not. When I answered the door the second time I held up a pack of cigarettes and smiling pleasantly said " It was good for him, how about you?" He was so pissed at me he stormed home and never came back.

Since then my gelding has calmed down and all is good. But sometimes neighbors don't want to ask about the horse, learn about them or anything else, they would rather stay ignorant to their wants and needs and make your life a living hell. Hopefully these folks can get Fancy to another stable or farm and things will then calm down for them.

I've let my horses graze my law for over 20 years no sense wasting good grass.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    The neighbors need to mind their own damn business and quit whining.

I'm more bothered by obnoxious snotty nosed bratty kids than I am a horse being kept in a garage. Maybe the town should charge parents 20$ a day to encourage parents to keep their brats from running loose.
    This. Exactly.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I like the quote from this moron:

"What happens if the horse gets out and starts running around," said neighbor Diane Grandy to The Daily Transcript. "This is a hazard to my neighbors, to my children. I'm trying to raise my family here and I can't."

She is trying to raise her family and can't because there is a horse in the neighborhood?

And hubby wonders why I hate people sometimes...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

Seriously though....this reminds me of being a little kid crying about something silly and having mom say: Crying? You want something to CRY about? I'll give you something to cry about!
    OMG!!!! That was my mom's favorite quote followed by a smack!!

I didn't realize it was a universal saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Belplosh View Post
    <snip>
    We have our "yard" fenced in here in VA, almost 3 acres of it, it is pretty much a dry lot now, and when we first moved in, not quite a year, I had my SOB neighbor from across the street banging on my door. When I opened it and asked what he needed after saying hello, he was red in the face, his kid behind him and demanded to know if I knew what MY HORSES were doing in the field. I looked around him and at that point they were all grazing (I have a gelding and two mares). Blinking I answered just that "grazing". He then screamed at me that my horses were mating and his children were witness to that and what was I going to do to stop them?!
    <snip>.
    Hey, that's how I learned the "facts of life" - by watching the barn's stallion cover the mares. Didn't your neighbor realize you were providing and educational service?

hehehe lcw579...I kind of thought the neighbor was mad over his "inadequecies" and his wife may of commented...nasty mean jerk of a neighbor that he is!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I had my SOB neighbor from across the street banging on my door. When I opened it and asked what he needed after saying hello, he was red in the face, his kid behind him and demanded to know if I knew what MY HORSES were doing in the field. I looked around him and at that point they were all grazing (I have a gelding and two mares). Blinking I answered just that "grazing". He then screamed at me that my horses were mating and his children were witness to that and what was I going to do to stop them?!
    Well, that made me laugh. Depending on the ages of the kids, he could have just ignored it, and if the kids asked, either tell the truth, or if too young, just tell them the horses are "playing". When my daughter was 6, we were at the barn one afternoon when one of the hussy mares and studly gelding were "playing" right next to the barn. My daughter thought they were playing and said we should send in a video to Americas Funniest Animals. I really almost choked from trying not to laugh (same for the other adults that were there at the time). Sounds like your neighbor is a few fries short of a Happy Meal, and you handled it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Didn't Mr Ed live in Wilburs garage?
    It must be OK if it was on tv.
    EB, that was exactly what I first thought of when I saw this thread.

Seriously though, I hope the home owner doesn't wind up with an insurance problem. I would think this is the type of situation where horses wind up falling under attractive nuisance clauses.

I saw the story on the news, and what bothered me most is that the windows in the garage all seemed to be boarded up, no light, no door to hang his head out of, I didn't like the thoughts of a horse being cooped up in there but for a few hours a day. She said 'we do take him out, but they just don't see it, they don't watch us 24-7'. It IS quite a small lot. The neighbors, however, well, they sound like they might need a quarter to buy a clue, if she can't raise her children because there's a horse next door, she's got bigger problems than that.

She can't raise a family because there is a horse next door?
    Some folks!

He then screamed at me that my horses were mating and his children were witness to that and what was I going to do to stop them?!
    That is entirely too funny.

I never know how to answer kids when they ask questions about the facts of life.

A few years ago, on a hot summer afternoon, my little niece saw my gelding napping at the gate. He starts to drop.

She leans over and stares for a couple of seconds before saying, "What is that"?

Me - horrified because - well - what am I supposed to say????? So I tell the truth. "That is his penis". (will this kid now need therapy? Does she know the facts of life? Will my sister strangle me?)

She stares for a second or two longer, straightens up, and then says, very matter of factly, "Looks like he's trying to have a baby".

Uhh.... well... uhhh.... ok.... umm..... well I guess she knows more than I thought she did.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    So did my daddy-to my mother. He ran out of room at the barn for a horse he was "hiding" from Mama, and an ice storm was predicted. He put this gorgeous palomino gelding in the garage. Mama came home and went to open the door and there stands Rusty, looking at her thru the window. She was NOT happy.

The neighbors need to get a clue. I am pretty hateful about stuff like that. I try to be nice to my neighbors and do right by everyone, but at the end of the day, who pays the mortgage and taxes gets to make the final call. If Mrs. Grandy wants to B***H, then ask her when you can expect her to make the mortgage payment.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Too bad little girls can't sign petitions--if word of this story spread there would be a ton of them going door to door to campaign for a pony in every garage.

A friend of mine used to keep her horse at her place overnight once in a while. (Lived in an outer suburb within riding distance of where she boarded.)

One night she forgot to lock the door from the garage into the house, and awoke to the sound of what she though was a blown radiator pouring out water.

Turns out the horse had let itself into the house and was peeing in the entryway.