The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

CatOnLap is right on the money my sister lives north of Phoenix near Lake Pleasant in a horse community the people their keep horses at home year round in areas smaller then my holding pens are.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Mrs Grandy needs to get a life. I would love to know how the mere presence of a horse in the neighborhood prevents her from raising her family (maybe she is constantly having the vapors due to her horror over having the horse there and is prostrate on her bed from her hysteria and as a result cannot care for her children?? )
    No- having a horse in your garage and on 1/2 an acre is far from ideal (although good luck convincing me of that when I was 10 and dreamed constantly of just such a scenario ) and managing manure and bedding in that space would be tough but to claim that you are suffering as a result of the mere fact that the horse is in your neighborhood? Go get a real problem to start a crusade over- look around, there are plenty to choose from these days
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Loose feral children should be automatically spayed or neutered before being released to their owners....well, I like it.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    The bit about the neighbor and his children "suffering" was a bit over the top. And worrying about a loose horse being hazardous - for the horse maybe - but I really don't think it is going to run around and attack the children!

Not the most orthodox way to keep a horse but as they said it was short term and they were checked out and everything was fine so I don't see what the big deal is.
    I agree to all of the above. Sounds like the owners are doing their best to keep the neighbors happy, but one rotten apple had to spoil it all.

If one of my neighbors had a horse in their backyard when I was growing up I would have been in heaven, and would have made sure they were my best friend! I would think that some of the kids would be really happy about it.

Many years ago, my friend and I hauled a horse that had been purchased by a gentleman for his granddaughter. Imagine our surprise when we pulled into a very tightly packed residental neighborhood in southern CT, with the big 4 horse rig, and discovered that yes, they had built a stall in the garage, and were planning on putting the horse out in the back yard, that couldn't have been larger than 40x20 feet. The looks on our faces were priceless. We got the horse unloaded, and left asap, before the police showed up! Not sure how that all turned out.

Now I need to go check the NE horse BB to see if they are all in an uproar over this also.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    ...If one of my neighbors had a horse in their backyard when I was growing up I would have been in heaven, and would have made sure they were my best friend! I would think that some of the kids would be really happy about it....
    Same here! In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's that very same reaction among the neighbor kids in this instance that's making it so "impossible" for some of those complaining parents to raise their families.

I mean, can you imagine all the "OH Mommie/Daddy - can I/we get a pony/horse PUHLLLEASE? So-and-so's got one right in their backyard! Why can't we???"

On a serious note, however, I'd be afraid of what some of the older neighbor kids might try with that horse in the dark of night or any time they may know no one's home. Horses and suburbia can be a dangerous mix; for mischievous kids as well as the horse.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Loose feral children should be automatically spayed or neutered before being released to their owners....well, I like it.

That's my home town! (Dedham, MA) Haven't lived there for 30+ years though. Back in the 60s quite a few people had horses in their yards or garages. My life was spent riding my bike from one to the next.

That neighbor sounds like there's a sabretooth tiger living next door. She needs to get over herself! I'd be more worried about some suburba-psycho harming the horse, rather than vice versa.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Same here! In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's that very same reaction among the neighbor kids in this instance that's making it so "impossible" for some of those complaining parents to raise their families.

I mean, can you imagine all the "OH Mommie/Daddy - can I/we get a pony/horse PUHLLLEASE? So-and-so's got one right in their backyard! Why can't we???"

On a serious note, however, I'd be afraid of what some of the older neighbor kids might try with that horse in the dark of night or any time they may know no one's home. Horses and suburbia can be a dangerous mix; for mischievous kids as well as the horse.
    Very good points! I know I would have used that as an example - heck, my grandparents had a huge dairy farm in MA, and they still wouldn't get a pony for me!

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    whoever thinks that having a house and a horse or two on the same half acre is not possible, should take a look at some of the very exclusive and expensive horsey LA suburban neighbourhoods in southern California.

But then the words "pasture" and "Los Angeles" do not usually go together in a sentence.
    Snort! I grew up in in Santa Barbara County...basically the words "pasture" and most of California" do not usually go together in a sentence. But somehow, in my neck of the woods, we all managed to keep our horses happy and healthy (although God forbid, don't let someone from the east coast see those horses out on "dry lots" -they might call animal control).
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Oh, for goodness sake. Put a bag of flaming manure on the whiners' doorsteps, and then they'll have something to complain about.

I agree with JETA and I also thik the sactimonious cretin of a neighbour should Mind His Own Business.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    My thoughts exactly!!!!!! Not to mention spaying and neutering the dam and sire (if you can find him!)

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    Good LORD! Is his family sitting under the poor horse as it pees?
    For some reason this struck me as very funny and I can't stop giggling.

But I would be concerned about Trak's suggestion about spay/neuter programs for loose feral children.

I find loose feral children to be quite tasty and I don't want them all to disappear.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Some people feel the need to whine about pretty much anything if its not against the law then they need to mind their own business or get the law changed to what they want.
    AMEN!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

On toast, right JSWAN? lol

Seriously though....this reminds me of being a little kid crying about something silly and having mom say: Crying? You want something to CRY about? I'll give you something to cry about!

These neighbors have far too much time on their hands and not nearly enough to whine about methinks.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Didn't Mr Ed live in Wilburs garage?
    It must be OK if it was on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    On toast, right JSWAN? lol

Seriously though....this reminds me of being a little kid crying about something silly and having mom say: Crying? You want something to CRY about? I'll give you something to cry about!

These neighbors have far too much time on their hands and not nearly enough to whine about methinks.
    mmmmm..... with butter. crunchy, too!

Yeah - my folks were the same way. That and "you better eat that, there are starving people in China".

Why can't the neighbors be like everyone else and complain about the economy?

Equibrit... you're dating yourself!

The neighbor sounds like she could be the twin of my sister in law (who moves to farm country in NH and complains about wildlife (turtles), chickens, and the cows she passes on the way to work. She doesn't gripe to me anymore after I told her she needs to move to the city in not such polite words. Anyhooooo

The horse and owner sound familiar to me... hmmm.

But send annoying neighbor here- she would just LOVE it. A suburban community of 1/4 to 1 acre lots that can have up to 5 horses on it! Norco has no sidewalks- but horse paths Gated communities built next to dairy farms! (Although I the smell is overwhelming at times). Any day of the week we hear cows, roosters, goats, donkeys etc etc. And *GASP* somehow people manage to raise children too! Who'dathunkit?

I'm going out to play with my little herd now. And tonight my neighbor will come over, we'll sit out by the pool with frozen adult beverages- maybe even burn a log in the patio fireplace and chat horses while we gaze at the beasties a mere 25 feet away.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Yeah - my folks were the same way. That and "you better eat that, there are starving people in China".
    At my house it was:
    "If you don't finish that I'll give it to the dog!"

Um...Thanks, Mom...so I'm one step above the dog?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Equibrit... you're dating yourself!
    Strictly re-runs. Lived in the third world at that time!