The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Some people feel the need to whine about pretty much anything if its not against the law then they need to mind their own business or get the law changed to what they want.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

It is too much money to pay $500/month in board but it is not too much money to pay $20/day to the town until the permit goes thru?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default What I think

While it may not be illegal my $.02 says:

*1/2 acre allowing for a house on the same site, leaves precious little space for "pasture"

*tethering a horse on a 30yd line is asking for an accident to happen - a highline might make more sense, but not for all day

*at $20/day they will be paying $600/month - boarding at that price (which is in the middle of the range listed in the article) would make a lot more sense, financially and for the horse's welfare

*does BF's Mom know anything about horses? Since she is the onsite caregiver, you would hope so...

If all of these concerns were addressed then maybe the cheapskates would have a case.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post

The neighbors need to mind their own damn business and quit whining.

I'm more bothered by obnoxious snotty nosed bratty kids than I am a horse being kept in a garage. Maybe the town should charge parents 20$ a day to encourage parents to keep their brats from running loose.

Where I live I can usually get permits within a few days or a week or so. If that's the case there it would be cheaper than a boarding bill. Just a guess.

The bit about the neighbor and his children "suffering" was a bit over the top. And worrying about a loose horse being hazardous - for the horse maybe - but I really don't think it is going to run around and attack the children!

Not the most orthodox way to keep a horse but as they said it was short term and they were checked out and everything was fine so I don't see what the big deal is. I remember when lots of people had a horse or two in their back yards.

ETA: I figure that they are paying $20/day and figuring the permit will be issued in way less than a month.
    Last edited by lcw579; Mar. 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added thought

How many days do they have to pay the $20? If its a week thats much cheaper. Theres literally millions of horses in this country on less then a 1/2 acre. A 30 yard line is alot I keep one on a 30 foot line in the summer for years now.

I agree County. I see nothing wrong with them having the horse there. Not something I would do, but heck, it is their horse, go for it.

But the article said they would go on paying the $20/day which implied it was going to be more than a couple of days.

We all know that getting things out of a governing body can take longer than is logical.

Default My daughter's pony visits our Suburban home regularly....

If we're going to a show early, or having a birthday party, my daughter's 12 hand pony sleeps in the backyard overnight. The neighbors who know don't care, or aren't legal enough to call authorites.

My daughter thinks it's hilarious to walk the pony through the garage and into the backyard, and is never happier to wake up than when her pony is nickering at her window.

If it's not against the law where that horse is living, and the SPCA has looked into it, neighbors are just gonna have to deal.

It didn't imply anything to me as far as number of days could be 1 could be 101.

We had to move our donkey home when I was a kid because my pony was trying to kill her at the barn where we kept everyone. So the donkey moved home until she had a place to go. Our yard wasn't fenced all the way so she had to go out on a long line. She never had any problems.

BTW if these people are " cheapskates " does that mean anyone that doesn't own 100's of acres for their horses are also? After all every bit of reserch I've read says the best way to keep a horse for its health is on 100's of acres of grass lands with a herd of its peers.

Or is someone only a " cheapskate " if they do something differently then the one calling them that?

Funny article, I actually dream about this all the time, including last night. Last night I dreamt that my horse was tied up in my garage and I was trying to work on some turnout in the baseball field across the street or in the backyard, but in the backyard I was worried about the in-ground pool. In these dreams I am always so thrilled to have her so close to me, but feel bad for her b/c of limited turnout.

I'd be willing to bet that the neighbor with the biggest mouth and gripe about all this has the most obnoxious children running throughout the neighborhood with no limits, along with an unleashed dog who defiles everyone elses lawn and roaming cat who sprays EVERYWHERE....
    Crayola Posse: Mulberry

Having the horse tied is no bigge, in Cuba they tie all their horses randomly wherever they please.

I find it ironic too about the neighbor worrying about his kids, meanwhile horses can do something for children and people that is unexplanable and amazing. Those kids are BETTER off with horses next door!

Diane Grandy to The Daily Transcript. "This is a hazard to my neighbors, to my children. I'm trying to raise my family here and I can't."

Because he can't afford to take care of his horse or at a farm or stable my family has to suffer

Good LORD! Is his family sitting under the poor horse as it pees? Is the horse taking up space on the family couch? How is this horse making it impossible for Ms. Grandy to raise her family in the neighborhood? How is her family 'suffering?'

I'd be really interested in knowing if Ms. Grandy's spoiled rotten child has ever annoyed a neighbor, or left a toy in someone else's yard, or taken a shortcut across property that wasn't theirs. Some people need to just get over themselves already!

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    I find it ironic too about the neighbor worrying about his kids, meanwhile horses can do something for children and people that is unexplanable and amazing. Those kids are BETTER off with horses next door!
    I wish the reporter had asked the kids what they think. I'll venture to guess the kids would think it is very cool to have a horse nearby!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Default Another one

There was a recent complaint about a mini in central KY recently. There was no applicable law so they are now looking at passing one. Seems like they are taking a reasonable approach though:

http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?m...43&format=html
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

[QUOTE=lcw579;3944659]The bit about the neighbor and his children "suffering" was a bit over the top. And worrying about a loose horse being hazardous - for the horse maybe - but I really don't think it is going to run around and attack the children!

QUOTE]

Took the words right out of my mouth. Some people really need to get a clue. OMG, it's the dangerous attacking horse! Oh never mind, he's just eating the lawn.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

whoever thinks that having a house and a horse or two on the same half acre is not possible, should take a look at some of the very exclusive and expensive horsey LA suburban neighbourhoods in southern California.

But then the words "pasture" and "Los Angeles" do not usually go together in a sentence.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF