The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you, everyone, for such helpful, insightful suggestions. I will make use of all of them and I really appreciate the input. Thomas, thank you for making me laugh...I need it right now! But in all honesty, we have worked very hard to take the high road on this one, even if that very thought runs through my head every time that man opens his mouth to speak, :-).

Horse owners have lived here in harmony in this community for hundreds of years, quietly doing our own thing, supporting local charities, businesses, bothering no-one and this has hit us out of the blue. I still can't figure out if this is power, agenda or personally driven, but if there is a silver lining, it is that people come off their farms to become involved and it's a wonderful group. I am going to follow up on all the helpful suggestions all of you have offered. We have a lot at stake here, and as our town goes, so may others who see what happens here. So thank you for helping us defend ourselves.
    Last edited by chai; Mar. 15, 2009 at 05:56 AM.

I am a scientist and work with ID folks, so I will ask about the e.coli part.

But I think you need to hire a consultant. Maybe someone from Tufts Vet. To counter the assertions of Mr Wack-job. Also, the CDC, Mass Public Health and the EPA must have info on all this. I am particularly thinking environmental impact studies. There are strict regs about manure and other horse waste and proximity to watersheds, hopefully some of which is based on science, not guesswork and fear.

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    I am going to follow up on all the helpful suggestions all of you have offered. We have a lot at stake here, and as our town goes, so may others who see what happens here. So thank you for helping us defend ourselves.
    No more suggestions, chai - except to say that I wish you the best of luck and I hope everything works out. I'll be thinking of you.

Somebody on the BoH Googled Zoonotic Diseases Horse. Now THAT WOULD get their panties in a wad.
    Do the same search and work on combating whatever the results are. You might also point out ALL the other places these bacteria/diseases are found, and ask if they plan on banning them too!

For instance; Most infections with Salmonella are traced back to dairy, poultry and meat products, but Salmonella can grow on just about any food. Chickens and eggs are particular high risk foods.

Do they plan on banning dairy, poultry and meat products and in particular chicken and eggs or just food in general ?
    Last edited by Equibrit; Mar. 15, 2009 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I am a scientist and work with ID folks, so I will ask about the e.coli part.

But I think you need to hire a consultant. Maybe someone from Tufts Vet. To counter the assertions of Mr Wack-job. Also, the CDC, Mass Public Health and the EPA must have info on all this. I am particularly thinking environmental impact studies. There are strict regs about manure and other horse waste and proximity to watersheds, hopefully some of which is based on science, not guesswork and fear.

Yeah, MDC did a study that supposedly showed the long distance a bacteria could travel to the eater supply - I can't remember the bacteria but apparently usually only sheds from babies and wildlife. A friend of mine that works for the MDC (now DCR) and thinks no one should be allowed to have animals within a ridiculous distance - admitted that the way they were able to get the bacteria to a water supply was to nurse it, feed it , protect it from sunlight, keep it from drying out...basically conditions that would never occur in th real world, nevermind the deer who don't know the rules and will poop anywhere.