The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Licking metal after they eat is common...it does heighten the taste of what they just ate though.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My gelding is the only one who doesn't lick whatever is in front of his face!! the mare will lick anything/chew on it, and her baby is even worse. she LOVES leather to lick on... which is why she can't have a leather halter ever again... and I have to change shoes before I visit her!! hahaha

Also, zippers. they adore zippers!! the filly will sit there and suck on my jacket zipper fobs... she won't chew, she just holds it in her mouth and works her tongue on it. She's absolutely ridiculous!!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I have two QH's that do that, my theory is that it helps them get stuff unstuck from their teeth. I ask the equine dentist if that was possible, and he didn't really know. Mine lick whatever is handy, the wall, the edge of the feeder or water bucket or the stall door.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    My young mare will come running when I clean out the waterer so she can lick the bleach-water off the ground.
    If she 's anything like one I had, just the smell of bleach was enough to have her salivate endlessly. I never did give her a chance to lick it.

Amnion doesn't smell that way! At least not to me!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Oh good! So she isn't some kind of freak of nature .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Talking

My horse will lick anything and everything to death! He LOVES to wrap his tongue around his blanket bar after a treat- there is a very shiny spot on that side of the bar... EEEEWWWWWE! He prefers a human hand, but will take metal, stall wall, outside of grain bin, even freaking out the cats... and he's taught everyone else to do it, too...*sigh*
    Have to add.... shoes are also great targets for oral attention. Zippers are cool on coats, but laces and tennis shoe tongues are the best ever. Also, I have a coat that has that plastic piece that tightens up the bungee type chord around my waist, and he loves to sneak his way into that (esp if I'm near and he's not the center of attention) pull back and then release so that it pops me in the leg. He finds it rather amusing- I, however.....
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

I am really glad to see this thread and see that it isn't just my one boy who has a thing for licking metal. He can be seen regularly just sitting there licking the side of my metal clad barn. I always pause, think 'freak' and shake my head and carry on with whatever it was I was doing. He's gonna regret it one day when it's -20 out I'm sure....

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    My young mare will come running when I clean out the waterer so she can lick the bleach-water off the ground.
    We have a horse that does the same thing! I always wonder if something minor is missing in her diet, but she is by all accounts quite healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by AJHorsey View Post
    Also, I have a coat that has that plastic piece that tightens up the bungee type chord around my waist, and he loves to sneak his way into that (esp if I'm near and he's not the center of attention) pull back and then release so that it pops me in the leg. He finds it rather amusing- I, however.....
    OMG, I haven't worn my jacket that has those bungee tightening cords to the barn in so long I forgot about it! My mare does the same thing!!!! It hurts so bad, like someone flicking a damp towel at you at camp!!!

I only have one out of four that does it, and that percentage seems about right from when I was managing a boarding farm and saw lots of horses (no formal studies, though ). Mine does it only after eating something sweet, like peppermints, sugar or store bought horse cookies (I've never tasted one so I don't know if they're sweet but I assume so). He only does it occasionally after eating carrots, apples, or bananas, which are his usual treats (well, not bananas but sometimes I eat one while feeding and he gets to share). We usually buy plain beet pulp but once I got a bag with molasses by mistake and only noticed when he started licking the gate after every meal!

One of my others likes to suck on the sleeve of one particular coat. I don't let him when I'm wearing it as I feel it's bad manners, but he still tries, and if I leaving hanging or draped within reach he'll suck on it. He never chews, though, and it's only the one coat. It's one of those high tech fabrics and I guess it tastes good.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker_Rider View Post
    OMG, I haven't worn my jacket that has those bungee tightening cords to the barn in so long I forgot about it! My mare does the same thing!!!! It hurts so bad, like someone flicking a damp towel at you at camp!!!

My mini used to do that. She finally grabbed it one day while I wasn't paying attention, and pulled it as tight as it would go and let go. I was wearing shorts. I think they could hear me screaming in the next county. I've always been a little afraid of my mini after that, especially when I'm wearing those jackets
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes" ~ Douglas Adams

Unhappy

OUCH!!!!!!
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique