The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone using SmartDigest Ultra or SmartGut??

I have an ulcer-prone OTTB who has been on Succeed (with much success- just that his poop turned back to cow pies after the three months on it) and is currently on U-guard. I'm interested in how either of these products compare to the above. It sounds like they're kind of a combination of both for a fraction of the cost (of Succeed at least). Anyone using them?
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Bump.... Anyone???

Default SmartUltra

I just started my guy on SmartDigest Ultra...but he wants no parts of it. He's a very picky TB and he ate it for the first few days and then started turning his nose at it every morning. As I can't afford for him to back off his grain...I took it out of his mixed up supplements.

In theory it looks like a great supplement, I liked that it has a wide variety of ingredients and the amounts are comparable to other supplements. If your horse isn't too picky, I would say try it!

Sorry I can' t be more help! Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I have a picky skinny boy too, so that is definitely a consideration.

Default anyone else?

bump...

Well, I am now using SmartGut, but have sent my boy off to a trainer who lives an hour away. I haven't seen him in three weeks, so have no idea how he's doing on it. I'll let you know when I get him back in mid-September

I am using GUT with very good results. Haven't tried the Smartgut product however. It did look interesting. Hope you have good results!

Quote Originally Posted by sixpoundfarm View Post
    I am using GUT with very good results. Haven't tried the Smartgut product however. It did look interesting. Hope you have good results!
    I also use Uckele's GUT product and have been very pleased with it. The GUT enabled me to get my horse off of gastrogard. It's also low volume and very well tolerated by my picky, picky horse.

Both G.U.T. and SmartGut smell good and seem to be fairly well received. My mare gets GUT because she tends to drop a little too much weight at horse shows. I've taken her to shows and kept her on GUT + Ulcergard, and have just used the GUT w/out the Ulcergard and didn't really see a difference. So the GUT seems to do a decent job.

I put an older gelding on SmartGut because he arrived at the barn looking a little rough from too much showing and too many meds. He's looking better now, but I don't know whether it's the SmartGut or the sucralfate he's getting that's really helping him. I just couldn't spring for a full month of Gastrogard so I hit him w/both the SmartGut and the sucralfate. Next month I'm going to try a 1/2 dose of SmartGut and see how he does with that.

Default Thanks

For the in put...I have just ordered some today....and there was only one review on the smartpak website...so if anyone else has anything to offer -- please share

Wanted to add: I am using the GUT on the same horse I had on Succeed for over a year, and and very happy with the results, for a huge savings on the price!

Default Not using the Smartpak

But I too switched to the GUT. I was feeding both my TB's the Succeed, and finally just had to stop b/c $200/mo on top of everything else I feed, with Adequan, Legend, etc...something had to give. So I liked the fact that GUT seemed to have some of the same ingredients as the Succeed - and way cheaper. Anyway, I was worrried about the powder, but both horses seem to love the GUT, and the OTTB is picky. But both are eating it and are doing well. I still use ulcergard for my OTTB whenever we do something that I think will stress him - like a show or a trail ride.

I too would love to hear any thoughts on the SmartDigest and SmartGut. I would also love any research you've come across supporting any ulcer supplements you use (not against supplementing without research, just always looking for more info). I can't seem to bring myself to put my guy on Succeed. For the price I would rather spend a few more bucks and use UlcerGard every time I ride.

The SmartDigest and SmartGut look very interesting and like the best alternatives but I would love to hear from anyone who has used these. I've found that changing my boy's diet has worked wonders, but I'm never against trying more if will help even a little bit!
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

I'm interested, too. Once I am done with this course of gastrogard he is going to live on something. It drives me totally insane. It's down to those two or the supplement gastro. I'm looking for something without an antacid.
    -Grace

My guy is on SmartDigest and I think he looks great on it. He is a hard keeper and a very nervous horse. He is still nervous but his weight looks great and he doesn't mind eating it.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    I have an ulcer-prone OTTB who has been on Succeed (with much success- just that his poop turned back to cow pies after the three months on it)

The Succeed rep just recently came to the tack store I work at and said this can happen. Put him on a double dose for a week or so and his poop should go back to normal.

Sometimes if a horse gets stressed, sick (even just a bit down that you wouldn't notice), or something else changes a double does of succeed is needed to keep their gastro system in check.

My OTTB is the super nervous type and had horrible gastro problems. He gets a double dose if he has to travle, if I introduce a new horse into the herd, if he has to be in the stall for a long time (like when we got the tail end of hurricane Fay recently), etc. It works well. My other OTTB isn't that bad, he's fine with the reg. dose.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    I'm interested, too. Once I am done with this course of gastrogard he is going to live on something. It drives me totally insane. It's down to those two or the supplement gastro. I'm looking for something without an antacid.
    What about Finish Line's U7?-its got great ingredients.... i've been giving it to my ottb for quite awhile now and it really keeps his tummy happy,along w/ maintaining good weight/appetite....i also give him corta flx u-guard and i'm having great success w/ keeping him in good condition and eating well!

I just switched my mare from Tractguard to SmartGut. TractGuard was working well, but decided to up what she was getting just a bit. She just started on it this week...will see how she does!
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

I have had excellent results with U-Gard. One mare considerably reduced her windsucking, and it put my gelding back on his feed after just a couple days. I don't like that it has added iron (which may just be for color), but it is pretty darn effective and affordable.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Bump- I'm curious.
    -Grace