The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

OutTheDoor Guest

Default Fitting Boots (Irish Draught)

I am having problems finding front jumping boots for my Irish Draught Mare - due to her short cannon bones. She has 9 1/2 inches of bone, but if the boots fit width wise then they hit her knee or overhang. I have tried Davis Horse Sport Boots, galloping boots (which don't give enough support) and Eskadron boots. Any suggestions? I'm really having a tough time finding her supportive front jump boots. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OutTheDoor View Post
    I am having problems finding front jumping boots for my Irish Draught Mare - due to her short cannon bones. She has 9 1/2 inches of bone, but if the boots fit width wise then they hit her knee or overhang. I have tried Davis Horse Sport Boots, galloping boots (which don't give enough support) and Eskadron boots. Any suggestions? I'm really having a tough time finding her supportive front jump boots. Thanks
    Wow, I can't wait to hear the answer to this! I've just started riding my ISH with naked legs to hack and polo wrapping to jump. I miss the ease of my boots, but everything I have and everything I've tried to buy are just like you said -- too small around, or too tall!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Yup, I use polos on my IDSH. And the regular length is a teeny bit long too!

The N.E.W. boots might work - they have a COB size which is really for COB type horse - short legged stocky types as opposed to the US COB which is inbetween horse/pony... but they might be expensive.

I have an RISH and I've no problem w/him. I will post question on the Irish Draught yahoo groups and see if they have any answers for you..

Have you tried Bit of Britain? they cater to the event crowd pretty much - they might have a recommendation as many RID's event also
    (did you post on eventing forum as well?)

The only solution I've found for this problem is the order a pair of Woof boots. They're designed for crosscountry but they come in a size called medium-extra-wide. They're the height of medium sized boots but have way more room around. I was excited to find a pair of boots where the velcro actually reached with a bit of overlap to spare!

I'm pretty sure Roma makes a T-Boot knockoff that comes in cob size. Maybe that would work? Also you could go for some leather ones that come in size 0-4, some are pretty cheap if you shop around.

OutTheDoor Guest

Default Boots

ExJumper – I thought I was the only one with this problem! You should see the way the tack store clerks would stare at me when I said short boots that are xtra wide!

Mjmvet – How long are the polos you use? I need to go get a pair – I've been using SMB II Boots

Gottagrey – I will look into the N.E.W. Boots COB size. Usually, I would like to stick to under $100 but if the boots are good quality, and they fit her then I'll splurge. There is an Irish Draught yahoo group? I never knew (I'm new to the RID scene). Thank you for posting that on the yahoo forum. I will def. Check out Bit of Britain, and will post in the eventing forum as well.

Livie – Do you find Woof boots supportive? That size sounds perfect, I will look at the local tack store.

Equitate – what are sizes 0-4, I've never heard of those?

Nunn Finer makes boots in wide sizes- so you could get like medium extra wide fronts and large extra wide hinds.

Hm...i bought my polos so long ago, I'm not sure. They were sold as a 'standard' horse size though. In hunter green of course. Nothing is quite so cute on a bay irish horse. =)

There are ton of horses like that in Ireland. I just can't remember what they use over there. There are several tack shops in Ireland that have Web Sites. I'd send them an e-mail.

Also, I believe there is a forum at:

http://www.eventingireland.com/

Hey OUtthedoor - yes check out Nunn Finer (that is pretty much Bit of Britain) and also the N.E.W. boots are very good quality boots - I'm not sure who carries them though - don't see them in Dover - the Surrey in Potomac, MD used to carry them. I have the Woof boots and Eskadron open fronts which have been fine - but my horse is an ISH so his legs are a bit thinner but his feet/Hoofs are definitely Irish

Yes there is a irish draught chat group - alot of chat about breeding/bloodlines and "preserving the breed" (some good catfights once in awhile too)

I would suggest you check out the Irish Draught Society of North America-
    www.irishdraught.com - and see what you think. They have a pretty cool awards program (all you have to do is register your horse which is easy if you already have the papers - I had to have my horse DNA tested as I had no passport and he wasn't registered in Ireland) and join.

Are you in VA or MD? If so they now have an Irish Draught Division at Upperville - in hand and under/saddle class (where the judge rides the horse too!)

Quote Originally Posted by OutTheDoor View Post
    Livie – Do you find Woof boots supportive? That size sounds perfect, I will look at the local tack store.

To answer your question, no I don't find the Woof boots very supportive. When I look at all 1500 lbs of my horse then at the little boots, I can't imagine any boots giving him much support at all. However, the Woof boots in the MXW size offer him good coverage and fit like a glove. I've given away boots I had left from other horses as none of them fit him properly (more of a problem in front than in back). They all either went up over his knee or didn't reach around. I'm interested in hearing though what other people have done. Does anyone have any open fronts that they find work?

You're not allowed to ask about RID fitting boots without posting a picture and information on your girl first!

The IDHSNA yahoo group is for members of the IDHSNA, so if you have a current membership then you should be able to join. Also, Waterwitch started http://irishdraught.ning.com/ for all ID and IDHS people around the globe to connect.

I have the opposite problem!! I have a TB mare with the longest cannon bones! I should meaurse them. I am afraid of getting the oversize boots because they will be taller but also wider and she has dainty TB legs! Just very long cannon bones!! I should take her measurements so that when I go boot shopping for her I can find ones that fit!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.