The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What did I do??? Newest Rescue

So yesterday on AC4H page, I was told about the cutest little pony for my 2 1/2 year old daughter. In the process I clicked on this:
    http://s535.photobucket.com/albums/e...TianaFront.jpg
    My heart sank...something about her face, and maybe the $100 price tag on her. Financially this is a bad bad decision for me. I have the money to buy the grain and hay but was downsizing and doing quite well at it, but there was something that kept me coming back to her. I asked if I took the pony and her if I could have a break and they took $50 off the pony. So today at 4 I am going to pick up my newest addition. Tiana I am going to call her. I think that is a pretty princess like name that suits her. She looks so loving. They said she is skinny but not "i'm going to die tomorrow" skinny. So I will slowly get her back to speed with senior foot and beet pulp. SLOWLY I know. My plan is 4 small meals to start and just rest and love. We have a quarantine stall ready for her. Poor mare. What was I thinking, this is such a bad thing to do. I really don't need another horse. BUt I figure maybe in a month I can find someone suitable to take over. I am hoping the people I rent the barn from will be interested, they need a quiet, almost dead horse, as they are beginners. That would be great as I could keep an eye on her. I'm almost thinking long term free lease?
    More pictures:
    http://s535.photobucket.com/albums/e...=TianaFace.jpg
    http://s535.photobucket.com/albums/e...=TianaSide.jpg
    http://s535.photobucket.com/albums/e...=TianaHind.jpg
    http://s535.photobucket.com/albums/e...=TianaRide.jpg
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Good for you! I wish I had the fortitude to get another......I just can't rationalize the financial side of it.

The Appaloosa colt on there right now for $350.00 is calling to me....hard.

Must. Not. Look.

Ohhh, beautiful sweet facey!
    Well done and thank you for giving this mare a home.
    Please follow up with more pictures.
    I love feel good stories & pics.

What a swan she is going to be......you chose well. Something about her eye and face remind me of my darling little mare, who was one of the best teachers I've ever had.
    Bravo, Maria.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I too brought in a rescue with no business doing so, too many already!

but I did and she's so sweet - always the first to nicker to me morning and night.

I also hope to find a home for my rescue once she's well enough.

good for you, she looks sooooooo sweet!

"What did I do?" sounds very familiar. In fact it was my first lamentation the morning after I came home from NH with my 2 rescues. I was just going to pick up the one, but then they showed me this skeleton of a horse, and well, I just can't have that. I'm married to a feed dealer for pity's sake. Didn't need him or have a use for him but that didn't matter. Even if you can only give her a couple of months, that's still at least a reprieve from a possibly bad fate and a good shot at finding a good home. Best of luck, and can I suggest plenty of alfalfa? I know a little about refeeding syndrome and studies have shown it's one of the best ways to bring a horse back.

Oh, and what about pictures of the pony?

She does have a sweet look about her. I must say that when I saw the pictures of her under saddle, I was thinking, "ouch". So skinny.

Maria - your story made me BEAM. Bless you.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Maria
    Bless you, there is a special place for you in heaven. Please keep us posted and updated.
    Sometimes these rescues will surprise you and give you so much in return. I am so happy to hear about people that find it in their hearts (and pocket books) to do this.

What did you do?

You saved a life, made a friend and made a difference. Pat yourself on the back honey.

No shes not going to dye tomorrow but shes not going to live much longer either.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Man, takes some kind of neglect to get a pony THAT skinny. Kudos to you for rescuing her.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Well she is not home yet. I left to get her today and got in an accident on the way there. Trailer was empty. Two year old daughter slept through it and five year old daughter woke up and said "did we get the horses yet". My truck had a diesel leak that is being fixed 1 mile from the accident, then I'll get it and have to get it fixed soon enough, but it's drivable. Ugh...I just wanted to get her home. Now the rescue can't get me in til Monday or Tuesday and I have to pay $10 a day board, they probably aren't feeding her very good food.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Think of the life she'll have now because of you! Every bit of love you and your daughters give her is love she never would have gotten without you and AC4H.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Aspenlucas, as thin as this mare is I would advise not feeding it Senior food right away and just stick to alfalfa hay. Feeding her horse feed in the condition she is in could cause her internal organs to shut down which could kill the horse! It's called refeeding syndrome and is addressed in this article: https://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=12086 .

Small meals of alfalfa hay throughout the day is recommended for bringing back a starved horse. The magnesium and calcium in the alfalfa hay help to restore the electrolytes in the horse's system. Fresh water cannot be stressed enough, along with a salt lick.

She looks like a nice mare! I can see why you fell for her....
    "We want to raise our children so that they can take a sense of pleasure in both their own heritage and the diversity of others." ~Mr. (Fred) Rogers~

Sorry about the accident!!!! But glad everyone is okay.

Monday will come soon. And the new ponies will be so happy with you.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Aspenlucas, as thin as this mare is I would advise not feeding it Senior food right away and just stick to alfalfa hay. Feeding her horse feed in the condition she is in could cause her internal organs to shut down which could kill the horse! It's called refeeding syndrome and is addressed in this article: https://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=12086 .

Small meals of alfalfa hay throughout the day is recommended for bringing back a starved horse. The magnesium and calcium in the alfalfa hay help to restore the electrolytes in the horse's system. Fresh water cannot be stressed enough, along with a salt lick.

She looks like a nice mare! I can see why you fell for her....
    Thank you Cherry! I really have never had one this skinny, I will do! How long til I start the grain? And of course I know SMALL amounts. Thank you for the advise. I'm checking out the link.
    www.frostyoaks.com

What we do, from the CA Davis research on refeeding, that our vets follows, is to right off check teeth and possible mouth ulcers, that keep a horse from being able to eat well, along with pulling blood to be sure all else is working fine.
    Once that is addressed, several times a day small alfalfa feedings, with mouth rinses of baking soda if ulcerated, someone told me they use Mylanta for that, for a week to ten days and then, if you are not having any other problems showing up, you can start adding some grain, we have been using senior pellets the last years and maybe in two or three weeks start deworming.

We have had some mid twenty horses, so weak they were falling down when trying to turn come on and be fine shortly, if nothing else was wrong with them.

She is evidently strong enough now to carry that fellow around.

She is just adorable. Thanks for saving her life.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Thank God for your compassion and that of many other posters! I don't think it's ever a matter of one of us "needing" another mouth to feed -- but they need the help, so you have to jump in! Did that big dumb dude riding that pathetic creature give any explanation for her condition?
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    Thank God for your compassion and that of many other posters! I don't think it's ever a matter of one of us "needing" another mouth to feed -- but they need the help, so you have to jump in! Did that big dumb dude riding that pathetic creature give any explanation for her condition?
    PennyG
    The man riding her was a rider that helps AC4H with the videos. When AC4H saw her, I was told, the broker said they were going to shoot her. My thought is she didn't bring anything for meat? So what else can they do? They thought she was sweet and decided to try her under saddle. At first I thought that was pretty rough to do to her, but the more I thought if she was just a skinny mare, I probably wouldn't have given her a second thought in hand. Seeing the pictures of her under saddle, her kind eye, willing attitude, well that just did it for me. I emailed immediately about her. So I think that 3 minute ride was worth it for her. Let's hope she is as sweet as she looks and the refeeding goes well. Plans are for her delivery Monday now. I am excited to meet her as are a lot of other people!
    www.frostyoaks.com